Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

headphone suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headphone suggestions

I've seen only cursory discussion of headphones here, thus I pose the following question: what is a good, affordable headphone for use with my vcustoms? I picked up a set of sony MDR V250s recently, thinking they would be more than adequate. Scored them off ebay for $US26. They are ok, but they do not capture all the subtleties of the TD-8 frequency ranges. A bit disappointed in my purchase now. A buddy let me borrow his $US19.99 Optimus Pro 25 headphones in a pinch the other night and I was amazed at the sonic quality and dynamic range. Wow! Made the TD-8 patches sound killer! And for so cheap!? Even some of the snare patches that previously were not terribly pleasing to my ear/tastes (most of them, in fact) sounded great! Problem: I am told by my buddy that they are no longer sold. What is my alternative in this price range? Anyone got a pair in great shape they want to unload ? Many thanks for all the great advice and laughs as usual!!

think low impeadence
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Originally posted by mudyax:
      I've seen only cursory discussion of headphones here, ...
      Pshaw, I say! Use most XLNT Search Engine!
      Cursory indeed!

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, you are both correct, this topic has been discussed ad nausea. However, discussion of headphones other than sony, AKG (e.g. phones >/= $US100), appears virtually absent from those threads. Thus, my reignition of the thread for refinement of detail at the low end. Sure, I'd love nothing better than to have a pair of high-end sony MDRs. I know they rule! But, I live on a student's budget...and high end phones are simply not a priority for me...particularly when I now know that I can sound killer in my head for $US20. I am struggling with other priorities (e.g. mixers, snakes, monitor systems, triggers, incorporating acoustic drums...jesus, it never ends!). Since posting, however, I have found that the KOSS "replacements" for the older Optimus 25's appear are the KTX Pro phones. They area also weighing in at about $US20....and all of the reviews appear quite positive. So, I think I'm on a pair of these. FYI also to anyone looking for cheap headphones with great frequency response. Take a serious look at these affordable phones. They may not be the most confortable phones in the world, but, for the price, I'll suffer. Life is tough I'm going to pick up a set here today or tomorrow. If there is any interest, I am happy to report my findings to the vdrums community. Thanks again!

Comment

Look at the Panasonic RPHT355 headphones at Circuit City. They were $23.99 ordered online and picked up at the local store (almost instant gratification) They sound great with my V-club set. One of the best features is the 18 foot ,NON coiled cord....you dont feel like you are fighting a snake when you play. For the price you cant go wrong. Of course I always say " Buy what you think sounds good!!" Opinions are like _ssholes....everyone has one.

------------------
          The Captain
          The Captain

Comment

Thanks captainbk,

I had not considered panasonic. But, I will definitely check them out! The frequency response for the KTXpros is reported to be 15-25Khz. Are these comparable? I would have had a pair already, but I cannot find them at any of my local retail outlets. So, I'm going online for them. Amazon has them for US$16.99 right now. That's the ticket! Thanks for the tip. For what it's worth, I do have a panasonic electric razor for my head though

Comment

Mudyax

Not sure how comparable the model you described is. The RPHT355 I have sound great and will handle extremely high volume without distorting. I was ready to spend $100 for a pair when I bought mine and now I am glad that I pocketed the extra money. No they arent professional but then again, niether am I.

As for the Panasonic razor....useful but hardly interchangable

Good luck in your purchase....at $16.99 you can consider them disposable or plug them into your computer late at night.
              The Captain

Comment

The RPHT355 I have sound great and will handle extremely high volume without distorting.

Still sounds like a great endorsement. I will research them with an eye towards comparison with the KTX pros. If they are better, I don't mind spending a few extra $$.

I was ready to spend $100 for a pair when I bought mine and now I am glad that I pocketed the extra money.

Precisely why I am interested in "cheap" headphones. I have a billion other items of musical gear (don't we all, right?) to purchase...and on my salary, priority is the name of the game! Therefore, if I can sound great in my own head for personal rehearsal for ~ US$20...then I'm all over it like buzzards on a gut truck (sorry, it's a southern thing)

As for the Panasonic razor....useful but hardly interchangable

More than likely, but it sure does render my skull baby ass smooth and looks (and feels) great when playing in hot venues

Good luck in your purchase....at $16.99 you can consider them disposable or plug them into your computer late at night.

I see we have a similar eye torwards a bargain Thanks dude!

Comment

Sony MDR 7506 $100

Comment

how about AKG`s~~~
                    I bought a K-66 around USD$45.
                    cheap enough!!
                    But not bad in my opinion...

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but the last thing I want to do is compromise on my headphones (if that's a major source of how I listen to my V's). That's like investing in the finest of stereo equipment with great s/n ratio and impecable frequency response only to buy a cheap set of speakers which won't even reproduce the sounds the system is capable of.

I realize people only have so much money to spend and have to draw the line, but I would urge being more patient and take more time saving for a pair that gets better than a "kinda ok" rating.

I am not pronouncing judgement on any of the hp's mentioned since I am not familiar with most of them. But, we've been through this before. Differences in your hearing will give a good and bad review to the same phones. You can get real disappointed over taking the recommendations of others.
                      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo,

I hear what you're saying loud and clear babe! And, again, I'd love nothing more than to score a sweet set of MDRs. And I would. But, I've had a chance (in fact dozens of chances now) to play through the $19.99 Optimus Pros and they flat out rock! The frequency response is down right frightening for the price! In fact, they reproduce the V sounds better than even our PA gear (at lower volume anyway). So, I'm sold on them. Meantime, I've got $2K worth of other drum gear priorities to attend to It's a ***** being poor! Bottom line!

Comment

Originally posted by mudyax:
                          Boingo,
                          But, I've had a chance (in fact dozens of chances now) to play through the $19.99 Optimus Pros and they flat out rock! The frequency response is down right frightening for the price! In fact, they reproduce the V sounds better than even our PA gear (at lower volume anyway).
                          I assume Optimus is still the Radio Shack Brand. I'll have to check them out at the local RS this week. I'm a sucker for a good deal.
                          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I hear ya Boingo....as a student struggling to accumulate gear on the most pathetic of salaries, I am always hawking a bargain! And, like many here, I would not have believed in these phones had one of my band mates not picked them up just for stereo listening purposes and told me to try them with the Vs. He said "...I think you'll be very surprised at the quality/cost ratio..." And I definitely was! He also hangs out on several of the "true audiophile" studio-type discussion boards and they apparently were highly touted there as well. Thus, the motivation for his purchasing them.

Hey, forget Radio Shack (aka capacitor hut in these parts), they want $US40 for them. Kinda negates the bargain at that price, when twice that amount gets you into the real quality studio phone range. Go to amazon.com and search on the KTX Pros. They have them for US$16.99. Or, at least they did a couple of days ago. Good luck!

Comment

I picked up a pair of wireless infrared headphones made by sony on musiciansfriend.com. I really wanted the wireless freedom when playing. Make sure you have good line of sight to the transmitter or quality gets poor quickly. All in all, they arn't too bad. Make sure the preamp isn't too high or you'll get distortion.. has a small volume wheel on the headphones themselves. They were about $50-60 I believe. Cheaper than RF models.
                              Gabe Kangas
                              DM5, D4, PD80R, CY-15, CY-6, Visu-lite Ride, DauZ's, Random Pintech stuff, BBE 362.

www.spasticsrecords.com/real-ity

Comment

Working...
                              X