Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

All-in-one moniter/speaker for small venues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-in-one moniter/speaker for small venues?

Hello Everybody,

Cool Forum.

Ok, I've used the xlnt search engine, read all the posts, but, I still need fresh updated responses to my question/problem and you guys/gal rock(s).

I'm price limited and need something to play my td-8 through. Right now, I have nothing but headphones(for practice). I'm going to start playing with a band for small venues (less than 100 people, more like 30-50 people). It's for pleasure only and everyone just plays through their own amps. We have a small PA setup for vocals. I need to supply my own amp and yet moniter myself (and others). I have $500 to spend. I've been looking at a Roland KC 500 or Crate kx220. Seems like they have a lot of input/output options and are flexible.

I do not have the need for a JBL EON G2 or Mackie srm450, (don't have the dough anyways).

Are keyboard amps the only way to go in that price range? Or am I missing something?

Are there any other, "under $500" solutions?

What do you smaller venue people use?

Thanks!
    Ryan
    Sgt.

Originally posted by SgtRemo:
    Hello Everybody,

Cool Forum.

Ok, I've used the xlnt search engine, read all the posts, but, I still need fresh updated responses to my question/problem and you guys/gal rock(s).

I'm price limited and need something to play my td-8 through. Right now, I have nothing but headphones(for practice). I'm going to start playing with a band for small venues (less than 100 people, more like 30-50 people). It's for pleasure only and everyone just plays through their own amps. We have a small PA setup for vocals. I need to supply my own amp and yet moniter myself (and others). I have $500 to spend. I've been looking at a Roland KC 500 or Crate kx220. Seems like they have a lot of input/output options and are flexible.

I do not have the need for a JBL EON G2 or Mackie srm450, (don't have the dough anyways).

Are keyboard amps the only way to go in that price range? Or am I missing something?

Are there any other, "under $500" solutions?

What do you smaller venue people use?

Thanks!
    Ryan
    Welcome:
    Keyboard Amps are common because they are made to produce frequencies over a broad area of the sound spectrum. EX: Guitar amps aren't meant for low end and bass amps are... well, that's pretty obvious. I have played the KC500. It's ok, but there are better. The others you have nixed are typically recommended on this board.

I have a Peavey KB/A-300. Our KC500, at the Church I play at, is messed up so I brought in my Peavey. The difference was very noticable, it has 4 band EQ, 3 channels plus mic. It was only recently I realized how good it sounds since it normally never leaves my basement. The guys in the band are hinting I can't have it back. It's 150 watts and should fit in your budget. It's another choice.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I did look at Peavey KB amps, but I thought they just didn't have the horsepower/quality, I will have to revisit them and take closer look and hear. From your perspective, Is Peavey decent quality stuff?

I see you didn't like your KC 500, I've been looking hard at that amp, what problems are you having with it?

Do you know anything about Crate Keyboard amps? the KX-220 has a 8 band EQ and some other things, looks like a good fit for me but I know nothing of the brand.

Thanks!
      Sgt.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRemo:
        Thanks for the response, I did look at Peavey KB amps, but I thought they just didn't have the horsepower/quality, I will have to revisit them and take closer look and hear. From your perspective, Is Peavey decent quality stuff?

I see you didn't like your KC 500, I've been looking hard at that amp, what problems are you having with it?

Do you know anything about Crate Keyboard amps? the KX-220 has a 8 band EQ and some other things, looks like a good fit for me but I know nothing of the brand.

Thanks!
        KC has been in the shop. Signal kept cutting out. Was intermittant. Fix lasted a short time. Then the line outs went (XLR's). Switched over to use the unbalanced 1/4" line outs with a direct box and now they are cutting out and crackling. The amp has some nice features like the bal and unbalanced line outs and stereo connections. As far as sound, running the tom's through it always left me a bit unsatisified. The Peavey sounded much cleaner in comparison. They weren't awful or anything.

The KB/A 300 has a gain button on channels 2 and 3. Make sure you press those in if you get to try them. The volume increase is huge and the sound is much cleaner. There is separate EQ for each channel as well as reverb. It took playing in a large hall to appreciate it. Like I said, playing at low volume in the basement wasn't cutting it. The room you demo in will have a lot to do with any amp's sound I would think. I'm no amp expert but I will say, from what I've seen, Peavey is no stranger to the music business. You certainly need more than one opinion.

Not familiar with the Crate.

No matter what amp you get opinions on, you will most likely find someone who hates it and someone who loves it. Demo, Demo, Demo!
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I use the Roland KC-500 as a stage monitor playing with my cover band in West Michigan. (I also have a 15" monitor on stage for vocals and other instruments including my drum mix) We play all sorts of venues from 30-300 people.

I think the KC-500 does a pretty good job of reproducing the lows, mids and highs of the V-Pro kit. It has a 15" speaker, which is the minimum size you want to use for e-drums !!! I like it because I can split my kick, snare, toms and cymbals between the 4 channels...gives me the flexibility for separate volume control.

Watch e-Bay for a used one...they've been selling for around $350-$400 plus S/H.

Comment

I've got a KBA 300 if your interested. I used it very little cause the churc I play for invested money in a ear monitor system to reduce stage volume. I'm pretty used to it now and can really pump up my own volume to suite my style. So, my amp is just sitting there waiting to be used by another V-Drummer!!!

let me know

Rip
            [email protected]

Comment

I play through Fender's new Bassman 60. I tried it out in the music store on a Roland V-Custom before I bought it. They sell for $369 and they sound great for the money, practice or gig.
              I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

The Bassman 60 has the horn like a keyboard amp for those new 7 or 8 string bases and the latest effects pedals. 12" woofer and a tilting cabinet.
                http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0224502000
                I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Get a Yamaha MS400, I have one and love it. Its just like the JBL 15G2 (400 Watts) and sounds great. Musicians Friend had them for $399. I also have a Peavey KB300 (an older one) I was using before I got the Yamaha and was blown away by the Yamaha. IMHO

Comment

I was wondering if a person would use the seperate input channels to spilt their sound for more control on those keyboard amps... Thanks!

Hmmm... Bassman 60

I've seen some of those bass amps with a horn and have even checked the freq. response and it's 20-20,000. But I still assume it wasn't meant for a full range instrument. Am I wrong?

Anyone else use these full range bass amps? I'm guessing they've got great bottom end, more so than a standard keyboard amp, which doesn't kick the low end much.

I will also have to check out that Yahama ms400, but I don't have a mixer and I think I'll be limited on flexiblity with a standalone loudspeaker and i'm having trouble finding music stores that have them in stock to test.

Thanks!
                    Sgt.

Comment

I'm using a Roland KC300 with my TD8 for small live gigs with my rhythm and blues band. It's seems fine to me and the band, but for larger gigs I'd use it as a monitor and input into the P.A. I also use Sabian cymbals with the kit and find the balance is fairly easy to achieve with the KC300.

Comment

Last year, Musician's Friend was blowing out the JBLEon G2's for $500, and I've been using it ever since for small live gigs...suprisingly, I've even used it outdoors and it did the job...however, one big difference was picking up an OnStage tripod mounting stand and mounting the monitor at least 5' off the floor...

Like I said, I've been using one and have had the gain rarely past the quarter mark and it has done the job...I suppose for the larger gigs, two JBL EonG2 monitors would be equal to the task...

I place it behind me and tilted slightly toward me..

At home for practice, I have literally loosened wood moldings for the floor and ceiling from the vibration...

Comment

Sooooo..... Does any know anything about Crate Amps? Especially their keyboard ones?

I thinking of getting the kx220 http://www.crateamps.com/products/kx/kx220.htm
                          Sgt.

Comment

I was set to get a mackie 450 after listening to them compared to the JBL's. Then I was reading on the Mackie forum about a lot of people noting the high amount of white noise coming thru these when the volume was down. I didn't notice this at the time I was listening to them, is this a problem to be concerned about?? anyone that has them been bothered by this ????, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by drumnman2:
                              mackie 450 white noise coming thru these when the volume was down.
                              No, it won't happen if all your stuff is properly grounded (like it comes as standard in the UK)

Schmunk

------------------
                              TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.
                              TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X