Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Can't access my main e-kit (Mimic + ATV) due to covid. What's a good side kit to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access my main e-kit (Mimic + ATV) due to covid. What's a good side kit to get?

Hey guys,

I normally rock a custom rig that's mostly a fusion of the Pearl Mimic Pro module and ATV drums (with some drum-tec drums and Roland cymbals in the mix).
    Unfortunately, due to the quarantine from Covid-19, I am unable to access my main e-kit as I had to move to another geographical location for various reasons, and couldn't ship my main e-kit (I initially expected the quarantine to only last a few weeks).

Since the quarantine seems like it will last much longer, I don't want to go a long period of time without being able to drum. Right now, all I have with me is a snare practice pad and some sticks. I was thinking depending on how much longer this goes, whether it'd be worth it to get a low-end spare e-kit to use in the meantime, and have as a backup. Or even get something like a DW Go Anywhere practice pad set (that retails around $180).

What would you guys recommend as a side e-kit for quarantine practice purposes? I was looking at the $370 Alesis Nitro Mesh kit, a used TD-11k kit (around $550), a DW Go Anywhere practice pad set ($180), and maybe even buying a new acoustic set put putting mesh heads and mutes on it (this might be problematic because even low volume kits can cause loud sound).

Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Best,
    GoBears10
    Last edited by gobears10; 04-14-20, 06:18 PM.

Just get a kick practice pad along with your snare practice pad and a double pedal. Then you can develop/practice all your limbs and by the time the quarantene is over you will be a better drummer.

Comment

good suggestion from frank

if you want to go electric, i have 2 suugestions

1. yamaha dtx12 + kt10 + hh65 (possibly + external yamaha snare)

2. eDRUMin + kt10 + fd9 + snare, hat cymbal, 3-way ride, and tom of ur choice, plus the vst in this thread:
      https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...es#post1224853

let us know what u end up getting

Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Originally posted by gobears10 View Post
        Hey guys,

Or even get something like a DW Go Anywhere practice pad set (that retails around $180).
        I have this practice kit setup in my living room. I use it everyday.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Pearl Mimic Pro; Custom Acrylic Shells; ISM-6 Snare Conversion Kit; UFO eBridges; ATV/Roland Cymbals.

TD-50DP => SD3; KD-10; PDX-100(x4); VH-13; Roland Cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by super_freak View Post

I have this practice kit setup in my living room. I use it everyday.

I think practice pads are better for developing skills than edrums as I find the sound often masks any timing errors. With pads the sound is very distinct and it is very easy to hear if two limbs are not synched because you will hear flams every time they play together.

Comment

had that kit too superfreak.. it's fine for practice.. but i covered a couple of pads with thin foam (noise) - or a folded towel on them -
            also added a 7" rtom workout pad.. (and if you would also add a prologix 12" blue lightning pad i could last quarantine for 6 months) ..
            Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I also am away from home and unable to drum (td30kv with superior drummer 3)

i started looking into used kits here in Florida where I’m staying, and it seems people are asking high prices.

I ordered a new MacBook Pro to try and do some work, and was able to login to superior drummer manager and download the package on my Mac.

i found a great deal on a td50K but after reading and watching endless reviews I decided the td-27k was the right kit for me.

i could use it while away, and then ship the brain, snare and ride home before traveling back, and then update my home system to digital, and then send the td30, its snare And ride to my corona hideout location when it’s time to come back, and have a very decent analog kit there.

I’ve feel like I’ve gone crazy and spent way too much money (first quarantine purchase was a compact but high end stereo)

i just hope the Hegel integrated amp’s DAc I bought has low enough latency for superior Drummer.

The drum kit should arrive this week.
              Last edited by nycvape; 04-19-20, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

Apologies for the late response! Thank you all so much for your wonderful feedback. I decided to go with frank and super freak's suggestions and crafted a practice pad drum kit! It's been working wonders and it feels so good to work on limb independence and timing again. But nycvape, that's really exciting!

Here's a picture of my practice pad ekit though!

practicepaddrumkit.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X