Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

SPECIFIC PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Testing drumsticks to see which work best on mesh heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing drumsticks to see which work best on mesh heads

I researched discussions here, on other forums and Youtube about what sticks to use for mesh heads and chose for testing:

1. Vater Sugar Maple 5B Nylon (VSMP5BN)
    2. Promark Classic 5A Nylon (TX5AN)
    3. Zildjian 5B Nylone Anti-Vibe (Z5BNA)

I think the Anti-Vibe idea works - after working on rudiments for a while they felt better. If I had to choose only one from above I would probably go with them. My second favorite was the Vaters and then the Promarks. I like them all much better than the old nylon tipped Promark 2B's my drum instructor recommended which I've been using up until now.

Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

I used Ahead metal fuse 2b sticks for a long time, but recently went back to a wood stick - Vic Firth SDCN - Danny Carey signature series nylon. I’m also using the wood tip SDC version to see which I like better with metal alloy cymbals. In either case, that stick it just plain awesome to me.

Point is, I’ve found that while nylon tips are likely better long term for the longevity of mesh heads in general, I really think the most important thing is how you play with the sticks and how they feel to you personally... Better / best is really subjective.
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

I’ve used all those in the past, but currently love and use these... https://amzn.to/2UqqGMN

389E44FA-AFCF-4FB1-8C29-84072C79DC7C.jpeg

I tried numerous “anti-vibe” sticks... never did find a pair that didn’t feel “weird”.
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
        I’ve used all those in the past, but currently love and use these... https://amzn.to/2UqqGMN

I tried numerous “anti-vibe” sticks... never did find a pair that didn’t feel “weird”.
        I get what you're saying I did a 1.5 hour session with them yesterday and after switched to the Vater Sugar Maple 5B Nylon which seemed better at that point.

Will try the Buddy Rich - thanks for suggesting them!

Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
          I used Ahead metal fuse 2b sticks for a long time, but recently went back to a wood stick - Vic Firth SDCN - Danny Carey signature series nylon. I’m also using the wood tip SDC version to see which I like better with metal alloy cymbals. In either case, that stick it just plain awesome to me.

Point is, I’ve found that while nylon tips are likely better long term for the longevity of mesh heads in general, I really think the most important thing is how you play with the sticks and how they feel to you personally... Better / best is really subjective.

I'll try the SDCN - Danny Carey also - interesting tip shape

Comment

Ordered both from Sweetwater - should get them early next week - will report back

Comment

Really enjoying my made in Canada Los Cabos 7A nylon tip 'seconds', maybe around $5 a pair...
              Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash; CY-8 crash; KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520, SRH750DJ, ATH-M50 headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Masters, Real Acoustic Sound Editions

Comment

BDB7E7D0-8764-448F-80A0-B375817B72FB.jpeg
                Hi! Me and Allan at digitalDrummer made a study on this some years ago on the subject. What is really the most optimal edrum sticks? We ended up with these specs and we produced a batch of sticks,,,

Zourman Drums e-Stickz are special designed e-drumsticks with 7A stick size and a nylon tip, which makes them smooth to play with on today’s electronic drums. The sticks gives great touch and low sound on mesh heads and e-cymbals. The sticks are hand-selected and made in the USA of first-run hickory wood.

These sticks are a joint venture between Zourman Drums and digitalDrummer Magazine.

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
                Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3,5,5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Hi Anders,

Interesting, I might order a pair to add to the collection. I've been wondering what a 7A Nylon tip would be like . Can you ship them from the US?

Comment

Originally posted by dsteinschneider View Post
                    Hi Anders,

Interesting, I might order a pair to add to the collection. I've been wondering what a 7A Nylon tip would be like . Can you ship them from the US?
                    :-) They are shipped from Sweden...and I ship everywhere in the world. (If this answers the question) :-)

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3,5,5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Hi Anders, that does answer my question. Will head over to your website.

Just got the Vic Firth SBRN Buddy Rich and SCDN Danny Carey sticks. I've found I have to practice with them for a couple hours to really know how how well they work for me. All of these sticks seem easier to control than the ProMark hickory 2B's I've been using. The entire bunch I'm testing now are 5's. Ander's will be the first 7.
                      Last edited by dsteinschneider; 03-25-20, 03:46 PM.

Comment

No one ever tried these: https://www.thomann.de/be/tama_tcp10d_silent_tips.htm? What would the effect be on mesh heads? I think it might be a "solution" to reduce stick noise for those playing on metal cymbals…
                        'lectric drumma
                        Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Justin at 65 drums did a video on rubber tips. He tried the Vic Firth ones:

https://youtu.be/LaqeONKeaIU

Comment

Nice, thanks… I the feel is OK, I assume glueing them to the sticks might be a solution.
                            'lectric drumma
                            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

This whole nylon tip thing is a big bucket of fetid dingo kidneys, if you ask me. ( Yes, I do realize that nobody actually asked me and if I was not me, I wouldn't ask me either)

I've been using wooden tip big maple sticks for twenty years on my TD-10 kit and my heads are still perfect. Use whatever feels good in your hand, it makes no appreciable difference.

Just make sure your sticks, throne and kit are well-grounded, and the power supply for your sticks is always submersed in the proper boron-vanadium plasma.
                              Last edited by gingerbaker; 03-29-20, 11:33 AM.
                              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
                              X