Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

SPECIFIC PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Drum Tec bass drum pad protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Tec bass drum pad protector

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with Drum Tec’s bass drum protection pads? I’ve literally used this for 2 months and my beater has gone right through it. They weren’t exactly cheap either!
    Attached Files

This looks like the regular version (although I would call it cheap, it's only $5 or $10 for 3), isn't it?
    I've had the pro version for almost half a year now and it looks fine. It looks like it tore on the top of your beater. Is it hitting at an angle, instead of flat?
    Anyways, I imagine that there's a chance drum-tec would replace it if it happened so quickly.

Comment

That certainly looks like it's hitting at an angle.
      I had issues but not of that nature. Mine was messing with my triggering. I use a thin Aquarian patch.
      A2E 5-piece | Maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Comment

It’s actually the Pro version. I’ve emailed them but no reply. I’ll just go back to using a Remo patch. Thanks guys.

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend the Trick beaters. You can find them on our VEX recommendation page below. They are worth their weight in gold. I haven't used a patch in about a dozen years, and my BD head literally still looks brand new. It's all about friction & alignment. This beater perfects both those equations and eliminates the need for patches. See the link on the page below...

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/recommendations.html
          Alan
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
            I HIGHLY recommend the Trick beaters. You can find them on our VEX recommendation page below. They are worth their weight in gold. I haven't used a patch in about a dozen years, and my BD head literally still looks brand new. It's all about friction & alignment. This beater perfects both those equations and eliminates the need for patches. See the link on the page below...

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/recommendations.html
            The thing with this patch is that, unlike most others, it's not there just to protect the mesh. It's a thick and soft patch (a lot softer than a mousepad, for reference) that can reduce the rebound. I can't comment on its value for money as I don't have a clear picture of its longevity, but if I ever had one of those small kick trampoline pads again I'd definitely prefer to use one of these patches with it.

Comment

Is it not the reason why you put that patch on a pad at the first place? You should be glad it's only the patch that got the beating and not the pad.

Comment

That really looks like it was the top edge of the beater that tore into it rather than the felt portion. There is the visible square silhouette of where the felt hits and the torn part is just above it. I'd say the beater gets buried in the thick pad and the upper plastic ridge comes into contact with it. Maybe a thinner protection pad would be more appropriate, or change the beater.
                MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                  The thing with this patch is that, unlike most others, it's not there just to protect the mesh. It's a thick and soft patch (a lot softer than a mousepad, for reference) that can reduce the rebound. I can't comment on its value for money as I don't have a clear picture of its longevity, but if I ever had one of those small kick trampoline pads again I'd definitely prefer to use one of these patches with it.
                  You should take note I mentioned "alignment". As others have repeatedly mentioned, the beater was not ideal in its alignment to the patch/head.
                  Alan
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

You should take note I mentioned "alignment". As others have repeatedly mentioned, the beater was not ideal in its alignment to the patch/head.
                    Well yes, I mentioned it on my first reply as the likely cause of the tear.
                    I was just responding to your comment about not needing a patch with the Trick beater.
                    You don't need the drum-tec pro patch if you're using a plastic sort of beater with angle adjustability, but it adds a little bit to the feel of the kick so there's still some value there.
                    Whether it's worth the cost is of course subjective.

Comment

I think my comment was taken wrong. I wasn’t dissing the patch at all. I was just sharing my awesome experience with Trick beaters. I’ll likely use these the rest of my life... they’re that good. Sorry if my comment was confusing.
                      Alan

Comment

DW beater design almost the same as the Trick beater, i have both https://www.amazon.com/Drum-Workshop.../dp/B011J65M56

Comment

Yeah, Trick, DW design, etc. The key is to make sure the beater surface is smooth - IE hard wood, plastic (NOT rubber), metal. The Drum-Tec pro is great at reducing beater bounce. That’s what it’s main intent is. Head protection is somewhat secondary.

As Alan mentioned too, alignment is very important for any kind of bass drum beater - electric or acoustic use. You want the beater to strike the head completely flat. And based on that pic, you’re definitely digging into the pad from the top which would imply that the beater is rotating past it’s ideal strike arc. I would also say the beater isn’t pitched forward based on what looks like a downward trail in the pad... So it’s definitely angle alignment. Try that with a new pad and beater and see if it helps.
                          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

I forgot to mention tension plays a HUGE roll in this as well. It is in anyone's best interest to tighten BD mesh heads tighter than they'd normally play an acoustic. This lessens the movement of the head with the beater; which is the main cause of the wear. Using a beater that aligns with the head is the icing on the cake.
                            Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X