Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TM6 Pro VS TD17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM6 Pro VS TD17

Hello there people, I need your help!

I was going to buy a drum module to add to my acoustic set, because I’m sick of venues where the backline drums quality and miking are a constant unknown, putting to risk the quality of the exhibition (for the public) and for me and the band (since we use in-ear and we need the sound engineer to send us the drums to our mixer).

So I was going to get TM6 Pro, but I’m not sure it would be the best choice for me and I saw the TD17. But I cannot choose

I play mostly metal (symphonic) and I hope you guys can help me out with this harsh decision!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

Originally posted by centurychild85 View Post
    Hello there people, I need your help!

I was going to buy a drum module to add to my acoustic set, because I’m sick of venues where the backline drums quality and miking are a constant unknown, putting to risk the quality of the exhibition (for the public) and for me and the band (since we use in-ear and we need the sound engineer to send us the drums to our mixer).

So I was going to get TM6 Pro, but I’m not sure it would be the best choice for me and I saw the TD17. But I cannot choose

I play mostly metal (symphonic) and I hope you guys can help me out with this harsh decision!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!
    Either one would work. The TM6 pro has alot of nice 1 shot samples but you can buy them and put them into the TD17. The TD17 makes more sense to me.

Comment

TM6 PRO has 4 directouts if you need to split your output to mixer

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Either one would work. The TM6 pro has alot of nice 1 shot samples but you can buy them and put them into the TD17. The TD17 makes more sense to me.
        Where I could buy those samples?

Why you'd prefer the TD17?

Sorry if I ask, but i wanna read explanation cause i surely missed some feature of the modules that may work better in my case

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
          TM6 PRO has 4 directouts if you need to split your output to mixer
          As well as stereo main out. That, plus the 6 stereo trigger input, is something i'd really like from a module, since (if i understood correctly) i can send what i want to an outpu of my choice, so the drum sounds, backtracks, click track... am I correct?

Comment

As well as stereo main out. That, plus the 6 stereo trigger input, is something i'd really like from a module, since (if i understood correctly) i can send what i want to an outpu of my choice, so the drum sounds, backtracks, click track... am I correct?
            i'm not too sure about backtracks/clicktracks, i dont really know how limit TM6 Pro due to the internal memory...

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post

i'm not too sure about backtracks/clicktracks, i dont really know how limit TM6 Pro due to the internal memory...
              As i read in the manual, looks like backtracks and click tracks can be launched from the SD card

Comment

Where I could buy those samples?

Why you'd prefer the TD17?

Sorry if I ask, but i wanna read explanation cause i surely missed some feature of the modules that may work better in my case
                I overlooked the direct out so the Tm6 pro makes more sense. It also has independent headphone volume which I really like on a module. Otherwise it seems like the TD17 does everything the Tm6 does plus more inputs and sound modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Otherwise it seems like the TD17 does everything the Tm6 does plus more inputs and sound modeling.
                  Could you please make some example? I'm sorry to bother so much, but i really need to understand and i don't wanna regret the choice

Comment

For live gigging I’d go with the TM-6. Purely because of the output routing options and because if you’re sticking with acoustic at best you only need one-shot samples anyway for layering. Anything more over-colors the tone of the drum/cymbal in my opinion.

I like the TD-17 too, but I don’t think it’s the “best” for what you’re trying to do.
                    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Also something to consider - How big of a kit are you working with? How many triggers / samples do you really need?
                      Last edited by rdubu; 02-19-20, 09:13 PM.
                      Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
                        For live gigging I’d go with the TM-6. Purely because of the output routing options and because if you’re sticking with acoustic at best you only need one-shot samples anyway for layering. Anything more over-colors the tone of the drum/cymbal in my opinion.

I like the TD-17 too, but I don’t think it’s the “best” for what you’re trying to do.
                        To be honest i was looking to record or, even better. find professional recordings of my Pearl model and load them into the module so i can send those to the PA and to band in-ear monitoring system.

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
                          Also something to consider - How big of a kit are you working with? How many triggers / samples do you really need?
                          I was going to trigger just the drums, not the cymbals, so 1 (or 2) kick, snare, 2-3 toms and 2 floor toms.

Comment

You can't buy the one shots from the TM-6 and load them into the TD-17!!!
                            The TM-6 Pro is designed exactly for what you want, whereas the TD17 isn't. I worked on them (caveat), but other people on this forum have said the one shots from the TM-6 are arguably the best sounds Roland have produced for years.
                            It's very easy to layer in your own sounds (Pearl), mix them with the TM-6 onboard sounds etc....
                            The TM-6 is designed to help drummers who want to enhance their sounds, use sounds from their studio recordings and help rescue rented drums on a live gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitten View Post
                              You can't buy the one shots from the TM-6 and load them into the TD-17!!!
                              The TM-6 Pro is designed exactly for what you want, whereas the TD17 isn't. I worked on them (caveat), but other people on this forum have said the one shots from the TM-6 are arguably the best sounds Roland have produced for years.
                              It's very easy to layer in your own sounds (Pearl), mix them with the TM-6 onboard sounds etc....
                              The TM-6 is designed to help drummers who want to enhance their sounds, use sounds from their studio recordings and help rescue rented drums on a live gig.
                              That's what I thought, looked for them online but never saw an official release of them.

So the TM6 looks like it fits better with my situation, since I'm not interested in going full edrum, maybe the TD17 is better for that purpose.

By the way, I saw that TD17 has the tuning and muffling options, but I can't find a video tutorial for same features on TM6, does it have those? Or are named differently?

Comment

Working...
                              X