Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Cymbals: CY-8 vs CY-12C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbals: CY-8 vs CY-12C

Been upgrading my kit lately. The only thing I haven't upgraded, in terms of pads, are my two CY-8 crash cymbals. I am thinking about the CY12C's, and I'm wondering if anyone has compared them. Obviously the design is different, and I do like the CY-12C full pad rather than the CY-8 format. But is the CY-12C a better sounding cymbal?
    Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

The cymbal makes no sound. Do you mean does it trigger better? I have both and if the cy8 is working ok then they are fine. I wouldn’t swap one out unless it was broken as the cy12 doesn’t trigger noticeably better. The cy8 does seem to have more problems with breakages and I have had one with problems myself. I use mine for a splash as about the right size.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Yes, or course, I meant trigger response rather than 'sound.'. Probably going to keep the CY-8's anyway as long as they work well.
      Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

Originally posted by gradier View Post
        Yes, or course, I meant trigger response rather than 'sound.'. Probably going to keep the CY-8's anyway as long as they work well.
        Sorry it’s just there are a lot of posts where people really don’t understand triggering and how the sound is produced
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I agree with MKOK. The CY 8 is fine until it stops working. The CY8 suffers from the much debated pixie dust issue. I would suggest that you what until the CY8 fails before replacing it with the CY12 or something else.
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I had a CY-8 that started missing some hits but I didn't see a point in waiting until it started having serious issues and then selling it for pennies. Just kept an eye on ebay for good deals on CY-12's.
            Plus I would hate CY-8 as a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
              Plus I would hate CY-8 as a crash.
              For any particular reason?

Comment

Originally posted by gradier View Post

For any particular reason?
                It just doesn't swing. Feels weird. For me, paying an extra 30-40€ for a CY-12 was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                  I agree with MKOK. The CY 8 is fine until it stops working. The CY8 suffers from the much debated pixie dust issue. I would suggest that you what until the CY8 fails before replacing it with the CY12 or something else.
                  +1

Triggering on the CY-8 is actually pretty good, only the look and feel is bad. Well, the feel is really bad. Keep them and replace them when they stop working, if you can. Or if the money is available, buy Yamaha Cymbals and keep the CY-8s for "Splashes" or "Chinas".

I love my Yamaha PCY Cymbals: 130 Bucks at drum-tec for a 15 inch Cymbal that is swinging freely and does not spin.
                  Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Working...
                  X