Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

I'm buying an ATV EXS-5. Should I get the ATV xD3 or TD-17 sound module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm buying an ATV EXS-5. Should I get the ATV xD3 or TD-17 sound module?

Background

I used to play drums and was on my high school's drumline about 12 years ago, competed in WGI, but stopped and haven't really played since then. I'm looking to get back into drumming and the ATV EXS-5 seems like a great kit from what I've seen on this sub and on YouTube.

Looking for advice

My main issue is I'm not really sure whether I should get the ATV paired with the ATV xD3 or Roland's TD-17. To be clear, I would more than likely be getting the TD-17 through drumtec so it would be the Live Sound Edition.

The ATV with the xD3 retails for ~$2200USD and with the TD-17 it's ~$2500USD. Is the TD-17 worth the additional $300?

I don't plan on playing live gigs and I won't be doing serious recording. I'll be using this kit entirely to play along with music in my free time with the occasional Twitch stream here and there.

Any advice from someone who probably knows way more about sound modules than I do?

I know this is not the answer you want to hear and it's not the answer I want to give. Personally, given recent events regarding ATV and EF-Note, I'm cautious of buying gear from either company. It will be interesting to see where these two companies are a few years from now. In the meantime, if I had to buy a kit immediately, I'd look to other suppliers.
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-31-20, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I'm completely out of the loop. What's the deal with ATV and EF-Note?

Comment

try to find somewhere you can play those kits ? (both) each have pro's and cons.. and if you get opinions of somebody who has 1 of those,
        it gets skewed.. there really is no substitute for 'feeling' and hearing how it plays for yourself..
        Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I used both Modules, and I now use the TD-17 for Triggering VSTs.

If I only used the module with the EXS-5 I would use the xD3.
          Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

clo5ure wrote:
            I'm completely out of the loop. What's the deal with ATV and EF-Note.
            Apparently, engineers left ATV and started EF-Note. That's why, internally, the EF-Note stuff looks identical to ATV. Even externally, the EF-Note stuff looks a lot like ATV too, because it is basically ATV gear built by a different company (EF-Note and the engineers who left ATV). I've read reports that ATV is now little more than a trading company, though I don't know if these reports are true. Will ATV survive? Will EF-Note gain a foothold and survive? As I understand it, these engineers are ex-Roland staff. What about non-competition clauses in their contracts, with Roland and/or ATV? This could get messy.

Consider the risk. If ATV ceases to exist, will there be any support for your kit? What about obtaining parts, add-ons, and software updates? Will you be able to activate purchased sounds if the ATV licensing server no longer exists? What will happen to the resale value of your kit? Ditto for EF-Note. This is why I recommended you consider other suppliers. It's a shame that if customers are cautious and wait to see how this pans out, perhaps buying from other suppliers in the meantime, this may cause the demise of one or both companies, which is why I wrote "...it's not the answer I want to give." But hey, it's your money and your right to protect yourself.
            Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-01-20, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I have the EXS-5 with both the xD3 and TD-17 module.

I cannot comment on whether ATV is going to be in business for long, but it would be sad to see it go as this kit checks all the marks in its price point and even today after Roland's newest kits I would still go for the same setup.

The major let down of the TD-17 are the hihat sounds. They are really bad! The closed hihat sounds sound like a little "chik" and the open are thin and in general lofi (like an old rompler). The rest of the cymbals are just ok. However the xD3 has GREAT hihat sounds and much better cymbals which I dare to say are in VST quality level.

I got the TD-17 used and actually paid 200e less than new so I decided to go for it. The reason I wanted it is because of the dual zone toms and all the other functionalities the xD3 lacks.

If someone had to have one, I would say xD3 if you will use onboard sounds and TD-17 if using VSTs.

In my case, I decided to keep both. I have the cymbals connected on the xD3 and the rest on the TD-17. So when playing onboard sounds I have the best of both worlds.

Both modules are connected to the laptop so when I want to use VSTs it works as if they were one module with lots of inputs.

Actually this setup allowed me to add a 4th tom, second snare, a splash and a cowbell. These are available both with onboard sounds and as VSTs!! So I am really happy with this setup :-)

Comment

Originally posted by unisonance View Post
                The reason I wanted it is because of the dual zone toms and all the other functionalities the xD3 lacks.

If someone had to have one, I would say xD3 if you will use onboard sounds and TD-17 if using VSTs.
                Thank you, I greatly appreciate your response considering you have both modules

And you basically covered my dilemma. I love what I've heard out of the xD3 but I would love having the dual zone toms that the TD-17 gives you. Damn lol.

Comment

Can someone please share the origin of the mentioned reports about ATV?

From my point of view there’s too many black or white in the discussion about ATV. As an owner of the EXS-5 I can say that I’m proud of having this hardware and I cannot find anything that makes me unsure about the reliability.

If I buy any sort of hardware the last thing I think about is reselling. I reflect before I buy. And - at least here in Germany - if any problems occur I contact my dealer (Thomann gives a three year warranty).

If sales for ATV products decrease dramatically it might be possible that they close the doors in some time. I, for myself hope that they survive and come back with more innovative products as - together with the Mimic - they brought fresh air into the market.

EF Note has to show their products are as good and reliable. But if I personally see this brain - even in example status - and the hi hat with a “not to anything compatible” 6pin connector, I don’t see improvement for the market. With the exception of the announced big ride.

I will get an aDrum soon because I feel confident with their products...

And Roland? No longer the technical driving force as they copying only other ideas now and they are obstructive with their patents for the market. Just the marketing works perfect and the exaltation at the NAMM for “nothing new” is some sort of embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by rsm View Post
                    If I buy any sort of hardware the last thing I think about is reselling. I reflect before I buy.
                    Same here which is why I'm not too worried about the whole ATV/EF-Note issue mentioned earlier.

What I want is a quality kit that's fun to play without any big "gotchas" that I'm not aware of. The biggest one for me at this point is the lack of dual zone toms with the xD3 and being able to create custom kits but I think I'll survive without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                      try to find somewhere you can play those kits ? (both) each have pro's and cons.. and if you get opinions of somebody who has 1 of those,
                      it gets skewed.. there really is no substitute for 'feeling' and hearing how it plays for yourself..
                      Thats simply not possible some places, around here most have only Roland maybe some Yamaha and nothing else. I've only ever seen Alesis in a store once in my life. I wouldn't even know anything else existed if not for this forum or 65 drums on YouTube.
                      Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Regarding resale value and support. Myself, rarely do I buy instruments thinking about resale value. However, on many occasions I have recognized the value of vendors able to provide long-term support. Roland has been fantastic in this regard, providing parts, repairs, and support for instruments I own that are twenty, thirty, and more years old. Yamaha is another vendor who have given me utterly superb long-term support. This is important to me and affects my choice of vendors. It may not be as important to others.
                        Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-01-20, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Long time support is fine and surely an argument. But I do not believe in support of hardware that is twenty, thirty or more years old - not really in these days with actual hardware.

By the way:

I heard of display problems with Roland modules were Roland was unable to deliver spare parts that where available at eBay...

Comment

[QUOTE=clo5ure;n1220066]

being able to create custom kits

ATV announced at NAMM that there will an online tool to create custom kits. This will allow to make some killer kits as there are some very good sounds scattered around the various presets! In the preset kits there are always one or two sounds that are a deal breaker for me, as I would want the hihat or kick of another kit, or not having the china as a second sound on the same crash.

Comment

ok, have got to hand it to this forum, there are a lot of drummers with 2 (or more) modules on here,
                              so there can be a comparison .. i admit in some countries you don't have big music stores..
                              Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Working...
                              X