Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hi-Hat Stand Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Hat Stand Recommendation

Looking to upgrade from a CY-8 to a VH-10 hi-hat for my TD-11 and wondering if anyone could offer up a recommendation for a stand.
    Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

My go-to has always been the DW two-legged stand. Opens up some leg room options.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

another vote for the two-legged DW 5000 hi-hat stand.

Comment

Alan: Is that the DW 5000 or the DW 3000 two-legged hi-hat stand?
        Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

I used the 5k years ago, but I've used the 9k for the past decade.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Tama Iron cobra as well works great.

Comment

What's your budget?
              I'm still not convinced you're getting much out of spending more on a hi-hat stand, as long as it has spring adjustment. Deciding on 2 or 3 legs took me quite a while though..
              I ended up with the Iron Cobra HH605 because I needed something asap and the cheaper 2-leg stands would wobble too much for me (I have noise eaters).
              Also: the VH-11 doesn't rotate with this stand. Pretty important.

If I had more time to search I would wait for a good second hand deal, but a DW9500 stand would still probably be overkill for me.
              Last edited by Excessium; 01-23-20, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Another vote for the DW 2-leg (5500TD). Although I play on carpet so it does wobble a bit. Considering trying the Gibraltar 9707 no-leg stand which clamps to a rack tube. I would assume that would be very stable, and clean up the floor a bit.
                ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
                  Considering trying the Gibraltar 9707 no-leg stand which clamps to a rack tube. I would assume that would be very stable, and clean up the floor a bit.
                  The hi-hat might be stable but then your whole rack might be rocking, especially if you're a heavy hitter (or if you have a heavy foot).
                  Last edited by Excessium; 01-23-20, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I use a DW 3000 series stand. Very smooth and sturdy.
                    ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

I use the DW 5K series 3-legged stand and find I have enough room for it, but I don't have a double-bass pedal, which I think is the main thing the 2-legged stands are intended to facilitate. Anyway, it's very sturdy and overbuilt. I reckon you could get by on a cheaper/lighter stand if needed, no problem.

Comment

Just decided to get the Iron Cobra HH605 since I found it locally, new, for $169.99 CAD plus tax. Not bad, I think. It was in stock too so seemed good. My kick drum pedal is also an Iron Cobra (H900) so it seemed a no brainer. Can't exactly try it out as the VH-10 hi-hat hasn't arrived in the mail yet (had to order that one as no local dealer had stock).

Comment

I have a DW9000 and a DW7000. One thing to consider is schlepping your gear. The DW9000 is very heavy.
                          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

jimorlando wrote:
                            I have a DW9000 and a DW7000. One thing to consider is schlepping your gear. The DW9000 is very heavy.
                            I don't use a double pedal so a two legged stand isn't necessary for my setup. I used to use three leg DW 5000 series hi-hat stands, which are nice yet bulky and heavy. Changed those to Yamaha 600 series, which are much lighter and more compact. These days, I'm all about lightweight hardware. I hate schlepping heavy gear so I use the lightest hardware that gets the job done. I'm now considering The Yamaha HHS3 Advanced Lightweight Hi-Hat Stand. It weighs only 4.8 lbs and uses an aluminum pedal frame and aluminum legs to reduce weight. Folds up very compact. Worth a look for anyone gigging and/or concerned about light weight and compactness.
                            Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-24-20, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Well this is an old thread but not all that old (5 months), maybe its not bad to resurrect this one. But since molson mentioned Gibraltar 9707 NL I have to chime in here, I have one of those with an ATV aD-H14. The feel of the pedal coming back up is slow, mushy, and imprecise no matter where I adjust the spring tensioner sprocket on the bottom. I just don't think the spring is up to handling the aD-H14 top cymbal's weight. Honestly cannot recommend buying one of these. I am looking for something else currently.

FWIW The hi-hat stand doesn't rock the rack though.

Not sure if it is best etiquette to start a new topic about looking for a better hi hat stand or if it is OK to piggyback on this one.

Diamond 10pc Kit | UFO Drums Bass Trigger | Trick P1VBF2 Pedals | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | SD3
                              UNCENSORED Social Media at: https://brighteon.social
                              UNCENSORED Video Sharing at: https://brighteon.com

Comment

Working...
                              X