Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

EF Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gui Sepultura View Post
    On their instagram they posted a 20" ride and 14" hihat as well.... looks interesting
    Same here, all im waiting for is the 20" ride and their hi hat. I believe the pricing will be competitive than those of ATV. Glad I waited.

Comment

Originally posted by Espe n View Post

Are the sounds in ATV and EFNote really mono? When I had 2box Drumit5 module there definitely was a difference if having samples mono or stereo. Also feeding them out to PA on mono or stereo matters a lot. Usually I had outs 1-2 for snare, 3-4 for kick, 5-6 for toms and 7-8 for all cymbals.
      The point is that ambience signal at least double the amount of samples needed. And that's for every layer, every articulation.

gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
      band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

Originally posted by sascha View Post

The point is that ambience signal at least double the amount of samples needed. And that's for every layer, every articulation.
        that's it!

Another note:
        if your initial dry (direct) sound was mono, then with room mic added it's triple amount of sounds. And if your room is lush and relatively long - add x2 on top of that to the sample size (lengh) here...
        So, if your device has for example 200mb of storage for one kit, adding these features could shrink your effective kit size x4 or even more.
        On current mid-level modules this will eliminate all the round robins (due to memory-per-kit limitations) and may be even reduce the amount of velocity layers by factor of 2.

That is just math.
        Last edited by Mr.Boo; 01-29-20, 06:01 AM.

Comment

That is true in Mimic or vsts that have individual samples for close, oh and room mics. But if you already have those all baked into a wave file the size of a file just gets larger by the length of room sound compared to a dry one. That was the case with 2Box. And AFAIK that would be the case with ATV and EFNote if they had more wet samples available.

The downside is of course that you cannot adjust the amount of room inside module. With 2Box I mixed sounds inside vst to my liking (headphones or PA) and then converted and imported those to module.

Comment

Originally posted by josecarlo1129 View Post

Same here, all im waiting for is the 20" ride and their hi hat. I believe the pricing will be competitive than those of ATV. Glad I waited.
            Don't forget that the hi-hat is proprietary to their module.
            Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

that's it!

Another note:
              if your initial dry (direct) sound was mono, then with room mic added it's triple amount of sounds. And if your room is lush and relatively long - add x2 on top of that to the sample size (lengh) here...
              So, if your device has for example 200mb of storage for one kit, adding these features could shrink your effective kit size x4 or even more.
              On current mid-level modules this will eliminate all the round robins (due to memory-per-kit limitations) and may be even reduce the amount of velocity layers by factor of 2.

That is just math.
              I am glad you are helping people understand this. There are Facebook forums where people type in all caps about how their Strike sounds just like a Mimic and they don't seem to be able to understand the difference of having control of all the mic channels ands a huge sample pool . I imported an Addictive drums kit into a 2 box and it doesn't perform anything like the Mimic.
              The other day day I was refining my Mimic kit and went in and cut some low end from the reverb and room mics for the PA,added low end to the direct snare mic and more compression. The kit sounded big and clear through the PA. I could not do this with any other module.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                There are Facebook forums where people type in all caps about how their Strike sounds just like a Mimic
                LOL - He's a gem isn't he I don't think he'd last too long on a moderated forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

I am glad you are helping people understand this. There are Facebook forums where people type in all caps about how their Strike sounds just like a Mimic and they don't seem to be able to understand the difference of having control of all the mic channels ands a huge sample pool . I imported an Addictive drums kit into a 2 box and it doesn't perform anything like the Mimic.
                  The other day day I was refining my Mimic kit and went in and cut some low end from the reverb and room mics for the PA,added low end to the direct snare mic and more compression. The kit sounded big and clear through the PA. I could not do this with any other module.
                  Yes, and the reference Mr.Boo made about 200MB for example .... Well, that is the MAX limit per kit for the Strike AFAIK .... Even with the 2Box module 200MB might just cover a decent Ride cymbal, not a whole kit .... The Mimic is so much better, there is very little comparison really. I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT IN ALL CAPS! LOL
                  So, not to take this thread in a new direction, but when considering the new products there really should be an understanding about "Real Sampled Instruments" ..... That isn't the Only thing you should be looking for ..... my 2 cents anyway.
                  Last edited by JmanWord; 01-29-20, 03:44 PM.
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

There isn't a module on the planet that is going to surpass the Mimic for module only drumming. EF Note and ATV should stick to hardware sales and development. I am still rather dumbfounded that Pearl hasn't developed their own ATV/EF-Note type hardware. Pearl's name, hardware quality, and global distribution would undoubtedly give Roland a run for its money.

Comment

• Originally posted by csnow View Post
                      There isn't a module on the planet that is going to surpass the Mimic for module only drumming. EF Note and ATV should stick to hardware sales and development.
                      To be fair, ATV (and Efnote presumably) aren't competing with the Mimic - totally different price point. The more module options the better IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by csnow View Post
                        There isn't a module on the planet that is going to surpass the Mimic for module only drumming. EF Note and ATV should stick to hardware sales and development. I am still rather dumbfounded that Pearl hasn't developed their own ATV/EF-Note type hardware. Pearl's name, hardware quality, and global distribution would undoubtedly give Roland a run for its money.
                        Isn’t it crazy? I mean, they could easily take an Export-type shell pack, paired with ATV-style internal triggers and cymbals, some of their own hardware, and voilá, flagship set. I mean, every single person who buys a Mimic obviously needs drums to plug them into - why doesn’t Pearl want a piece of that pie? They already make top quality shells! This is my biggest reservation with the Mimic, Pearl’s strange ambivalence towards their own product. Yet they’ll go all in on the e/Merge and the ePro before that. Just weird.

Yamaha could also jump into this space, speaking of companies well established in making acoustic shells, but they seem completely disinterested in continuing with e-drums, it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJB View Post

Isn’t it crazy? I mean, they could easily take an Export-type shell pack, paired with ATV-style internal triggers and cymbals, some of their own hardware, and voilá, flagship set. I mean, every single person who buys a Mimic obviously needs drums to plug them into - why doesn’t Pearl want a piece of that pie? They already make top quality shells! This is my biggest reservation with the Mimic, Pearl’s strange ambivalence towards their own product. Yet they’ll go all in on the e/Merge and the ePro before that. Just weird.

Yamaha could also jump into this space, speaking of companies well established in making acoustic shells, but they seem completely disinterested in continuing with e-drums, it seems.
                          They had a shell kit like that at NAMM with ATV cymbals.

Comment

• Originally posted by molson View Post

Don't forget that the hi-hat is proprietary to their module.
                            Oh really?

Comment

• Friis wrote:
                              Not a fan of the whole "let's make it as 50s looking as possible" vibe. We need e-drums to look like normal drums in the first place, which we are still just getting around to with Roland and ATV. (snip) We also do not need more 10 / 12 inch drums. Roland has been making those for decades.
                              I rather like the vintage look EF Note chose for their kits. Ah, but we are in sync on the sizes! As I posted earlier, I am disappointed to see only 10 and 12 inch sizes offered. Indeed, Roland and other suppliers have been making those sizes for decades, and we certainly do not need more suppliers of the same!

Comment

Working...
                              X