Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Roland digital ride/snare vs eDRUMin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok ok, that sounds likely. It was more of a question than a statement.

Comment

This sounds exactly like the way Megadrum works. 3 zones can be made from a piezo/piezo pad. Typically that's Head, Xstick, Rimshot - being a mid level threshold between both signals. i.e. It decides which zone is triggered and sends 1 MIDI note per hit.

This is my speculation, but the digital Roland pad allows 4 zones with it's USB connection; Head, Xstick, Rimshot, Rimhit.

Rimshots being detected the same way as before, but with the capacitive sensor working as a switch to select between Rimhit and Xstick. Lastly the center piezo might purely be for positional sensing, but maybe it's merged with velocity information and equalized with the other 3 piezos. I don't know for sure but I reckon it's just a matter of time before somebody reverse engineers it.
      Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 01-16-20, 01:54 PM.
      ◾Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾MegaDRUM ◾Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾Pearl THMP-1
      PA Comparison Table

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post

I still don't understand what you mean. Are you asking if that's what the eDRUMin does? I'm sure that it's not stacking sounds, just picks one.
        I'm assuming it checks the values from the head & rim piezos, does some math and decides if it will trigger either a head, or xstick, or rimshot sound.
        E.g. low head signal + decent rim signal -> xstick. Strong head & rim signal -> rimshot. I think you still have to select if you want it to make a xstick or rim-only sound? Not sure.
        Actually, Rob changed the way it detects X stick. He doesn't use the side piezo, but the head piezo.
        The signal coming from a head hit, and the signal coming from a hit on the rim is completely different, and the software can detect that, assigning the correct sound to a hit. That's why you can place your hand on the head, move it around, rub the head, and it will still give you a rim click when you hit the rim with the stick.

Since making the change, the X stick feature has been spot on, with a lot more dynamics.

So, the side piezo is only used for rimshots now.

DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post

Different products, yes. Different price ranges, yes.

I use a TD9 to trigger SD3.

I can buy an eDRUMin for my snare, hats and ride and run it with my TD9 (e.g. toms, crash, percussion) and get positional sensing on the snare without hotspotting, and almost equivalent to positional sensing on the ride.

I can buy a TD27 digital upgrade and get a digital snare and ride with all the sensitivity and dynamics they offer for MIDI triggering.

Basically same use case, completely different price ranges, hence the question.

I've been considering how I would upgrade my aging TD9 (bought new over 10 years ago) for about 12 months now, and the TD50 digital upgrade pack was highest on the list, but I thought I would sit tight and see what the next Roland flagship offered. In the meantime, the eDRUMin came out but it has limited inputs as discussed elsewhere by many (including me). Still, it has been very tempting for me.

Now the latest Rolands are out. The VADs are of no interest to me. I know many people want acoustic-looking e-drums but I've been working for years to get my acoustic kits smaller and smaller (my current most-used gigging kit has a 10" snare, and a 10" tom, both of which pack into a 16" converted kick - one lug in and out including cymbals, stands and carpet) so the idea of buying bigger e-drum shells does my head in. That's not a criticism of anyone - diversity makes the world go around and the VADs, ATVs, etc do look great, but they're not for me.

After reading what I could find on people's experience of the Roland digital ride and snare, people's experience of the eDRUMin, and comparing the price (US$2,450 + delivery for the TD27 digital upgrade pack, versus US$149 including delivery for the eDRUMin), I've pulled the pin and bought the eDRUMin. This will give me positional sensing and hotspot suppression (how's that Excessium? ) on my snare. With the Decades SDX, I can have 5 ride articulations on my CY15 (ala Aka Wayne: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...e2#post1218461 ), and even without this I've been happy with the dynamics and sounds of the SD3 rides through the TD9 so I am frothing over those Decades rides ...

New cones for my pads from Quartz (finally installing them atm), eDRUMin on the way, Decades SDX (soon to purchase), and I'm thinking I could be right for another 10 years.

Thanks to everyone who contributes on these forums - I've learned a lot on here over the years.

E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

You will also find you will get a lot more dynamics from the bell (using only one input), so the trick to stack sounds with velocities should work even better.

Happy drumming!
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Actually, Rob changed the way it detects X stick. He doesn't use the side piezo, but the head piezo.
              The signal coming from a head hit, and the signal coming from a hit on the rim is completely different, and the software can detect that, assigning the correct sound to a hit. That's why you can place your hand on the head, move it around, rub the head, and it will still give you a rim click when you hit the rim with the stick.

Since making the change, the X stick feature has been spot on, with a lot more dynamics.

So, the side piezo is only used for rimshots now.
              Nice. This little box keeps impressing me

Comment

Working...
              X