Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

SPECIFIC PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

New Roland TD-27 Drum Set

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roland TD-27 Drum Set

I found something that I'm not sure if was supposed to be released quite yet, since I can't find any other information about it anywhere. But it looks like Roland is releasing a TD-27 drum set, that uses the PD-140DS and CY-18DR digital snare and ride. It looks like it will cost $3000. Has anyone else seen anything about this?Annotation 2020-01-14 135053.png

roland's naming conventions don't make any damn sense
    purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Makes sense. I hope it doesn't use the 50 snare sounds. It would make a great midi trigger kit.
      Last edited by Peter Warren; 01-14-20, 03:25 PM.

Comment

It does use the TD-50 sound set:

"With digital sensor technology and over 700 sampled instruments, the Roland TD-27KV V-Drums bring the top Roland features to a midrange kit for the first time. The full-size 14" snare and 18" ride pads both feature complex multi-sensor arrays that sense the location and intensity of each strike with more precision than ever before, and they work with an advanced sound engine pulled from the TD-50 flagship line to create realistic acoustic feedback. The snare features a metal shell and mounts on a standard snare stand, bringing visual realism to match the sound. Also pulled from the TD-50 is the massive sound library, spacious LCD screen and several editing effects that can be tuned on the fly. On top of these new features, the TD-27KV also keeps the usual details that make Roland V-Drums one of the most trusted names in electronic kits: dual-zone mesh heads, a kick pad that fits a real pedal, stand-mountable hi-hats and two crash cymbal pads."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
          Makes sense. I hope it doesn't use the 50 sound set. It would make a great midi trigger kit.
          TD17 use td-50 sound but sounded better.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

TD17 use td-50 sound but sounded better.
            Good point. Did they use different snares? I think Roland was aware about the snare complaints on the 50. I thought the Jarrah toms sounded good. This should be a good selling kit for them.
            Last edited by Peter Warren; 01-14-20, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Good point. Did they use different snares? I think Roland was aware about the snare complaints on the 50. I thought the Jarrah toms sounded good. This should be a good selling kit for them.
              on td-17, all the same but modelled differently

Comment

Interesting: https://fccid.io/RR-CCM-TD-27

Comment

Seemingly, the TD-17does not use the same sample library as the TD-50. If you look in the data list manuals for the two modules (TD-17 and TD-50), you'll see the samples are quite different. The TD-17 improves in a number of areas where the TD-50 is lacking. Also, the TD-17 omits most of the modelling parameters of the TD-50, which seems to give the TD-17 a more direct sound. Myself, I prefer the sounds of the TD-17 to those of the TD-50. It's quite possible the TD-27 may offer yet another sample library upgrade while still using a core TD-50 sound engine.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                    Seemingly, the TD-17does not use the same sample library as the TD-50. If you look in the data list manuals for the two modules (TD-17 and TD-50), you'll see the samples are quite different. The TD-17 improves in a number of areas where the TD-50 is lacking. Also, the TD-17 omits most of the modelling parameters of the TD-50, which seems to give the TD-17 a more direct sound. Myself, I prefer the sounds of the TD-17 to those of the TD-50. It's quite possible the TD-27 may offer yet another sample library upgrade while still using a core TD-50 sound engine.
                    Ask Simon Ayton have done the sound for td17 which are modeling from td50 transferred to TD17, different modelling that what he said.
                    Last edited by Chris K; 01-14-20, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Chris K wrote:
                      Ask Simon Ayton have done the sound for td17 which are modeling from td50 transferred to TD17, the sound are all the same, different modelling.
                      Whatever Roland did, the TD-17 sounds quite different as compared to the TD-50. As I noted above, look at the sample libraries in the Data List manuals for the TD-17 and TD-50. The TD-17 has different samples and sample types not present in the TD-50, such as a wider range of brush sounds.

Comment

Looking at the picture in the OP more, I'm excited to hear the sounds and features of the TD-27 module, though what seems to be an all-plastic build is far less enticing. I'm nonplussed to see a 14 inch snare and 18 inch ride combined with 10 inch toms. The 10 inch floor tom is especially disappointing. Roland already has a variety of sizes in their lineup - 10, 12, and 14. It would be a massive improvement if Roland re-design their existing sizes to create a cohesive, acoustic-style set of pads. Add a 16 inch size and they'd erase the need for users to consider third party suppliers. Imagine if the TD-27 kits provided an acoustic sizes option: 14 SD, 10 RT, 12 RT, and 14 FT. That would be a game changer and it would cause me to consider Roland for my next set of e-drums.

Comment

I'll be curious how much the module will go for by itself. Kind of wishing I hadn't sold my digital ride and snare (which wasn't easy).
                          Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Very interesting. I had a feeling the digital pads would be brought into the mid-tier but I would've conservatively guessed at one or the other rather than both. Definitely interested to hear the sounds and full feature-set. If, like on the 17, the sounds were much better out of the box than the TD-50, and there were enough other features, it could be an attractive "downgrade".

I agree with TangTheHump above that the combination of the digital pads with only 10" toms and a small kick pad is weird/uninspired. I imagine there'll be a few levels with different pad options like with the 17 and some of the other modules.

In regards to the 14/16 inch floor tom point - there's surely got to be a reason Roland haven't previously ventured into analogue pads above 12"? Maybe they've never had results they've been satisfied with for whatever reason but I would be surprised if they moved to bring in analogue pads of larger sizes at this point. I feel like if they bring out any larger pads, it'll be additional digital pads for the next flagship (maybe with backwards compatibility for the 50's spare USB port).

Comment

So they have covered low medium and high range now. The td17 still seems the bargain. If I were looking at getting a Roland it would be the td50 upgrade kit though as I don’t like the flimsy light weight modules. The so called mid range kits are high end priced. I’m sure with the marketing machine these will sell well. Definitely advances all round in the last couple of years. Up until then it was 2box only. Could be a few more years before something turns up that I would consider to replace my td30 triggering SD3. I have the money just nothing quite there yet. Mimic is very close but I’m just not mad on the ssd samples.
                              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X