Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

TD-9 is still worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9 is still worth it?

I'm thinking about getting a new module (or going to eDrumin, haven't decide yet), and I found a TD-9 v2 for ~200 EUR. Is it a still good module? Is TD-17 3x better to justify the 600 EUR vs 200 EUR?

The TD-9 (whether V1 or V2) is quite an old module. Granted, it's newer than the TD-12, which many drummers use for triggering VST software. However, the TD-12 has positional sensing, individual inputs for all pads (no cable snake), more flexible cross-talk and 3-way trigger settings, much nicer front panel controls, a nicer display, and a metal chassis, all of which make the TD-12 a more attractive option as a trigger-to-MIDI device.

Now that the TD-17 and TD-27 are available, I'd think carefully before investing in a TD-9. Unless you're sure the TD-9 meets your current and near-future needs, I'd consider the TD-17, because the TD-17 sounds are good enough that you may not need VST software for a lot of use cases. A huge plus for the TD-17 sounds is they have almost no machine gunning. You will NOT want to use the TD-9 or TD-12 sounds; these sounds are horribly poor by current standards and machine gun a lot!

If all you want to do is trigger VST software, the TD-9 is an option. There is no USB MIDI on the TD-9, so you must use MIDI DIN Out and add a MIDI DIN-to-USB smart cable to your computer. The TD-17 offers similar triggering, but you get a more modern module with USB MIDI (in and out), traditional MIDI (out only), and support for SD card storage.

Answering your question more directly. If there is a possibility you'll use the sounds in the module at some point, then the answer is simple: go with the TD-17. If you're triggering VST software exclusively, then the TD-9 is fairly equivalent to the TD-17. For triggering VST, the question becomes how valuable is USB MIDI to you? Myself, I'd probably go with the TD-17, because I prefer the simplest setup, fewest cables, and ability to save settings to SD cards. However, there is nothing wrong with grabbing an inexpensive MIDI DIN-to-USB smart cable and using the TD-9, and you'd save money this way.
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-15-20, 09:29 PM.

Comment

great rundown by tang. just one correction- the td9 does not support positional sensing
      E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

Jackodrum,

Jackodrum wrote:
        Great rundown by tang. Just one correction - the TD-9 does not support positional sensing.
        Thanks for catching this! For some reason, I thought TD-9 supported positional sensing only for the snare and ride, but I checked the manuals just now and you are correct. There is no positional sensing in the TD-9. I corrected my post above. Again, thank you for catching this. Much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks for catching this!
          No problem. How I wish you were right
          E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

Working...
          X