Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-9 is still worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9 is still worth it?

I'm thinking about getting a new module (or going to eDrumin, haven't decide yet), and I found a TD-9 v2 for ~200 EUR. Is it a still good module? Is TD-17 3x better to justify the 600 EUR vs 200 EUR?

The TD-9 (whether V1 or V2) is quite an old module. Granted, it's newer than the TD-12, which many drummers use for triggering VST software. However, the TD-12 has positional sensing, individual inputs for all pads (no cable snake), more flexible cross-talk and 3-way trigger settings, much nicer front panel controls, a nicer display, and a metal chassis, all of which make the TD-12 a more attractive option as a trigger-to-MIDI device.

Now that the TD-17 and TD-27 are available, I'd think carefully before investing in a TD-9. Unless you're sure the TD-9 meets your current and near-future needs, I'd consider the TD-17, because the TD-17 sounds are good enough that you may not need VST software for a lot of use cases. A huge plus for the TD-17 sounds is they have almost no machine gunning. You will NOT want to use the TD-9 or TD-12 sounds; these sounds are horribly poor by current standards and machine gun a lot!

If all you want to do is trigger VST software, the TD-9 is an option. There is no USB MIDI on the TD-9, so you must use MIDI DIN Out and add a MIDI DIN-to-USB smart cable to your computer. The TD-17 offers similar triggering, but you get a more modern module with USB MIDI (in and out), traditional MIDI (out only), and support for SD card storage.

Answering your question more directly. If there is a possibility you'll use the sounds in the module at some point, then the answer is simple: go with the TD-17. If you're triggering VST software exclusively, then the TD-9 is fairly equivalent to the TD-17. For triggering VST, the question becomes how valuable is USB MIDI to you? Myself, I'd probably go with the TD-17, because I prefer the simplest setup, fewest cables, and ability to save settings to SD cards. However, there is nothing wrong with grabbing an inexpensive MIDI DIN-to-USB smart cable and using the TD-9, and you'd save money this way.
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-15-20, 08:29 PM.

Comment

great rundown by tang. just one correction- the td9 does not support positional sensing
      Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Jackodrum,

Jackodrum wrote:
        Great rundown by tang. Just one correction - the TD-9 does not support positional sensing.
        Thanks for catching this! For some reason, I thought TD-9 supported positional sensing only for the snare and ride, but I checked the manuals just now and you are correct. There is no positional sensing in the TD-9. I corrected my post above. Again, thank you for catching this. Much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks for catching this!
          No problem. How I wish you were right
          Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Working...
          X