Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

A Ringo acolyte wants to know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ringo acolyte wants to know...

Hello,

New poster here, been searching and reading, here's my story.

I was a rocker in the 60's and early 70's, played an acoustic kit all through high school and first two years of college; mostly Doors, Steppenwolf, Stones, and some Beatles. Not particularly sports minded, but being attracted to the females only left me one avenue -- music :>)

Music became my passion. I practiced and played A LOT! And, was a really good drummer, good enough to be asked to go "on the road", nationally.

But, a college degree got in the way.

Now, over 50 years later, I'm retired. Looking for another leisure activity, I bought a used TD-3 kit and began, once again, to develop my drumming skills.

After a year of playing along with Youtube videos and Songsterr.com, I am playing in a Beatles tribute band.

The TD-3 kit has served its purpose and I'm looking for an upgrade.

Ringo was a great drummer, not a Bonham, but for the Beatles, he was perfect. From 1962 on, his playing style added to the unique Beatles sound. Ringo played a lot of hi-hat and all around the ride cymbal. Being a left handed drummer (I'm a righty), Ringo initiated rudiments -- left handed. I've enjoyed emulating his style. My favorite rift occurs in "Come Together" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45cYwDMibGo . To do the drum part properly, you must play "left-handed".

Anyway, along with the usual pieces, my special requirements to be a "Ringo acolyte" are a good hi-hat cymbal/stand and a three zone ride cymbal.

From my study, I think the TD-17KVX-S will fit the bill.

What say you?

The trick is to find something that can replicate that washy ride.
    Also, something that will deliver retro drum sounds. Most of all the modern electronic drum brains deliver cracking, crisp, mainstream rock drums - which is not 'The Beatles'.
    With the TD17 I guess you can import some drier, tubbier samples to add to the onboard sounds.

Comment

Check out what’s available on the VEX kits. Alan may be able to guide you. You can also listen to the samples before you buy one. Good luck!
      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

ATV has the best cymbal sounds, drumit5 has the best editor so one can sample i.e. vintage snaredrums. Mimic is the best module you can buy but it tends to sound very "modern" punchy and "rockish".
        i personally would stay away from roland, while the td30 is not that bad

Comment

if you choose td-17 you could layer a crash on the ride (pitched the same) to get that crash/ ride sound.. the toms sound like
          a tea cloth dropped over the head.. ..short, so probably imported one layer samples could also work there ..(like said)
          Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Yeah. Early Beatles are ringy (jazzy) snare and toms, with almost inaudible bass drum (20") recorded more ambient with two or three mics. Then from Sgt Pepper onwards (to the end and Abbey Rd), the drums were more focussed, heavily damped (sometimes single headed) and really no room ambience.
            The ride was just a wash with no attack audible - which has always been hard to achieve on v-drums or with samples. A very light jazz ride preset, or washy crash might do it.

Comment

You might want to try this software for your gig.
              http://www.soundsonline.com/fab-four

Comment

where do you get shot samples to import

Comment

I have some free ones for the Roland TM-1 that would load into the TD17:
                  https://www.musicglue.com/cpsamples/shop

Comment

Working...
                  X