Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Alesis Surge Mesh or Alesis Command Mesh kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis Surge Mesh or Alesis Command Mesh kit?

What do you recommend- Alesis Surge Mesh kit or Command mesh kit? Please suggest me. What about the dynamics, latency, sound variances -like if I strike the pad softly, it will respond with soft sound and if I strike hardly, will it sound louder? And durability.

Neither. Buy a used Roland kit before you buy Alesis' Medeli-made stuff.

Comment

Neither. Buy a used Yamaha kit before you buy Alesis' Medeli-made stuff.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Who's gonna sell a Roland staff without having any trouble in it? They are expensive as much as a new Alesis staff

Comment

Roland's reliability rate is really high.
          They are overpriced when new, but well designed. The materials and build are, for several models, excellent.

There's thousands of used Roland pieces or sets that would last for many years and very likely give you zero trouble.
          Roland players regularly move up to bigger/better sets with more features and resell what they have to help pay for the next one.

The sounds are supposed to be fairly good on the Alesis, but if you check out their forum, there are a large number of customers that are not pleased with multiple part failures of every type.

I believe that Alesis will be a good company in the future, but not yet.

Yes, these days, if you hit edrums softly, they will play back softly.

Comment

Neither. Low end Alesis kits (Command, Crimson, Forge, Nitro, Surge, etc.) tend to be pretty junky (poor sounds, poor feel, loud pads) and the high end Alesis kits (Strike series) sound and feel good, but have a history of reliability problems (both the module and the pads). For e-drums, currently, I'd stay away from Alesis.
            Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-07-20, 02:51 AM.

Comment

I own an Alesis Surge mesh head kit and it's worked fine for me. Had it over a year. I've added an additional drum pad to it for four toms. I run it to audio interface to my laptop and use Addictive Drums with it. I couldn't be happier. I've never owned any other electronic kit, but I played acoustic for 20 years. The heads work fine for me. No problems with the pads or module. I dunno, for my application (playing for fun in the basement to music I like) it works. I'm sure others will tell me I'll be blown away when I move to something better, but whatever. Just one opinion from an owner and user.

Comment

Originally posted by hotpotato View Post
                I own an Alesis Surge mesh head kit and it's worked fine for me. Had it over a year. I've added an additional drum pad to it for four toms. I run it to audio interface to my laptop and use Addictive Drums with it. I couldn't be happier. I've never owned any other electronic kit, but I played acoustic for 20 years. The heads work fine for me. No problems with the pads or module. I dunno, for my application (playing for fun in the basement to music I like) it works. I'm sure others will tell me I'll be blown away when I move to something better, but whatever. Just one opinion from an owner and user.
                What about the dynamics & latency? Did you have any kind of Machine Gunning experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Nahid Adnan View Post

What about the dynamics & latency? Did you have any kind of Machine Gunning experience?
                  Dynamics are OK for me - the pad volumes are responsive to hit velocity. I find it fine for my needs, but I haven't used other e-kits to compare.
                  Latency was OK. Obviously there is none with just the Alesis module and headphones. But even with ASIO4ALL and Windows I got latency low enough that it wasn't noticeable to me. I think the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 audio interface helped even further, and I would suggest it if you use a laptop with something like Addictive Drums 2.
                  No machine gunning in my experience, but I think this is more addressed because I use Addictive Drums 2.

Again, I'm not trying to make out Alesis to be something it's not. It's an entry level kit, not perfect. And you could do better. I just wanted at least one perspective that it's not trash either. Good luck.

Comment

HAD two of ALESIS e drum kits- nitro and DM studio 10 MK II. Never had any isuises with them. But I was not happy with sounds. With Roland TD 17 kvx I am much happier.
                    Roland TD 17 KVX, Mapex Armory, Paiste PST 7, Schlagwerk, Vic Firth 5A or 7A nylon tip

Comment

Working...
                    X