Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Kick upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick upgrade

Hello everyone. This is my first post other than my intro so apologies for any noob mistakes. I genuinely apologise. I am very new to the world of drums and v drums, though have so much love and enthusiasm for it. I got my first set in March, a second hand TD1KV from ebay at a bargain price. I loved it immediately and bought the extra ride cymbal about four days later. One thing I've struggled with is the kick, which is a beaterless pedal and isn't a long term option for anyone really. I've been looking at upgrades online and Roland seems only to recommend its latest and most expensive pad, the KD9. I've looked on ebay and can get it cheaper but there are some earlier models that are also available and much more reasonable price-wise. The problem is, I have no idea what is compatible with my TD1KV. Are all v drum pads cross compatible and therefore I could go for a cheaper old one, or do I have to stick to the one and only listed on the TD1KV accessories page on the Roland site? Any advice or recommendations would be hugely appreciated. In addition, if it makes any difference, I'd be hoping to use a double kick pedal with the pad though I've resigned myself to the fact I'll have to go near enough budget on that I would love to hear if anyone else has a TD1KV or similar they've upgraded, too. Thank you very much in advance

Any kick pad from any manufacturer. They're all just 0.50 piezos.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I’ve used the KD-10 and thought it felt pretty good. It’s supposed to be an improvement over the KD-9, but not sure how exactly. I’ve heard good things about the much older KD-7 - for all three you’d obviously need to factor in the cost of the pedal, of course, but if you shop used you can probably find any of the aforementioned triggers plus a decent pedal for not too much money. Don’t know where you live, but you might consider shopping Reverb for good deals. There’s also the KT-9 and KT-10, which integrate the pedals and triggers. I can vouch for the feel of the KT-10, but it’s pretty expensive and relatively new, with not many used examples to be found. The KT-9 I’ve heard is quieter, but more spongy-feeling. The Yamaha KP65 would probably work well, too, and looks like a fantastic deal, but I’m not personally familiar with it at all.

Comment

Roland KD-8 or Yamaha KP65 should be cheap solution for you [but you need kick pedal.]

Comment

Thank you all so much for the help. Shows how truly little I know about the v drums lol, I didn't realise things were backwards compatible or even the other manufacturers could support them. Thank you so much I'll have a proper look into those mentioned tonight. I'm very excited thank you

Comment

The KD-8 is cheap because it sucks. Don't get that
            Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
              The KD-8 is cheap because it sucks. Don't get that
              Well, the KD-9 is also cheap and 1/6th the price of the KD140, but it's better.

Comment

Ya, so get a KD-9?
                Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

I have to agree. I had a KD-9 and upgraded (??) to the KD-120. I like the way the KD-120 looks but it really doesn't function better. In fact I think the KD-9 feels and responses much better. The one thing about the KD-9 is it tends to move a bit; the 120 stays put. I secured the KD-9 by placing something in front (I used a block of wood with velcro that stuck to my carpet). Best to you Henry. . . .

Comment

i've had a kd-8 for over a decade and it is fine. not perfect but closer in feel to an acoustic kick than many or most mesh head e-kick-drums judging by many discussions on these and other forums and from my limited experience playing other people's e-kits. not ideal for double bass drum but workable. the kt-10 is a good pedal-only option. there is a thread on the DIY topic at the moment on 'Using a tom/snare pad as a kick drum pad' that is worth a look. there is a lot of difference between individuals' preferences in bass drum feel, so take all opinions - including mine - with a grain of salt
                    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X