Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland SPD-S, MIDI Out issue and input question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland SPD-S, MIDI Out issue and input question

I got a Roland SPD-S which I wanted to trigger software with, I run it's MIDI OUT into USB and through Bome MIDI translator so I can aggregate it with my drum module into one MIDI port, this is a technique I do with all kinds of MIDI gear and note velocity is never altered. However when it comes to the pads, I'm only getting one velocity value, so no dynamics at all. Is this a drawback of the SPD-S or have I set up something wrong on the hardware?

Also, I have this hihat controller and exp pedal inputs unused, I can see whats compatible with the trigger input, but what would anyone recommend using with the other inputs?

Of interest - seeing as you're using the SPDs as a MIDI controller, why not

SPDs --> MIDI --> Drum module --> MIDI --> PC
    or
    Drum module --> MIDI --> SPDs --> MIDI --> PC

?

For hi-hat controller input, use a hi-hat controller (just not an FD8 as it's rubbish)
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
      (just not an FD8 as it's rubbish)
      who said so?

Comment

Of interest - seeing as you're using the SPDs as a MIDI controller, why not

SPDs --> MIDI --> Drum module --> MIDI --> PC
        or
        Drum module --> MIDI --> SPDs --> MIDI --> PC

?

For hi-hat controller input, use a hi-hat controller (just not an FD8 as it's rubbish)
        I did try just using a MIDI cable but there was some sysex or another kind of message interfering. In any case I still didn't get velocity coming through, that's the mystery for me.

OK so most controllers will be compatible? Do they have to be Roland?

Comment

Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post
          who said so?
          Everyone who's suffered the rubber failing then had to
          a. Boil it
          b. Slice it up with a razor blade
          c. Replace it at $40 a time.

Hit YouTube for problems and fixes!

Or 28,000 hits on Google https://www.google.com/search?q=rola...roland+fd8+fix
          Last edited by electrodrummer; 12-18-19, 07:34 PM.
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by GreasyBumpkin View Post

I did try just using a MIDI cable but there was some sysex or another kind of message interfering. In any case I still didn't get velocity coming through, that's the mystery for me.

OK so most controllers will be compatible? Do they have to be Roland?
            As long as you have thru on, on the module, then everything will get thru.
            ​Some modules will have filters to ignore program change etc from affecting the module itself, but no module will muck about with velocity settings. The issue there would be in the initial sending device.

Don't have be Roland, no. I couple all sorts of things via MIDI ....
            Last edited by electrodrummer; 12-18-19, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Everyone who's suffered the rubber failing then had to
              a. Boil it
              b. Slice it up with a razor blade
              c. Replace it at $40 a time.

Hit YouTube for problems and fixes!

Or 28,000 hits on Google https://www.google.com/search?q=rola...roland+fd8+fix
              sorry if off topic, but maybe helpful (btw i had never problems with a fd8) vut thanks for your infos.
              https://www.ebay.de/itm/Sheet-Sensor...oAAOSwkGJdg2W4

Comment

As long as you have thru on, on the module, then everything will get thru.
                ​Some modules will have filters to ignore program change etc from affecting the module itself, but no module will muck about with velocity settings. The issue there would be in the initial sending device.

Don't have be Roland, no. I couple all sorts of things via MIDI ....
                OK I'll browse for some pedals!

So to rephrase the question: why are all my SPD notes at the same velocity no matter how hard or soft I hit the pads?

Comment

So to rephrase the question: why are all my SPD notes at the same velocity no matter how hard or soft I hit the pads?
                  Velocity curve (LOUD2, for example) and a high sensitivity setting maybe/ Assume you're in patch mode.

Test with SPD -> PC using a simple MIDI USB into MIDIox to read the incoming data stream. No Bome.

Comment

OK I'll browse for some pedals!

It was indeed the sensitvity setting, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X