Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

2box Speed Light Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2box Speed Light Kit

2box just announced (via the reseller gear4music) their own kit with a drumit 3 module and their own pads.
    https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...ronic-Kit/37E0

It is not launched yet on their site.

Anders / www.zourman.com

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Looks much smarter (in appearance) than what they've done before and good value for what's on offer, especially considering the open source module.

Why do I keep seeing 1 larger snare and 3 smaller toms on these budget size kits though? Does it really cost that much more just to make the snare and floor tom the same size!?
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

looks much better than that weird orange kit they had before, why is it with a drumit 3 instead of 5 mk 2? seems those things are non existent in the market
      Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Kabonfaiba wrote:
        Why do I keep seeing 1 larger snare and 3 smaller toms on these budget size kits though? Does it really cost that much more just to make the snare and floor tom the same size!?
        No, it doesn't cost more - not much more, at any rate. The difference in cost between 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch shells is almost negligible. The main contributor to cost is the hardware, not the shells. So if you design your trigger system to be modular and scaleable, the cost isn't that great to do shells of different diameters. However, if you design a fixed-size, drop-in system (like Roland and ATV), then the cost just went up astronomically, because now you must manufacture a different drop-in harness for every size of drum rather than installing a single, scaleable system. Yes, hoops and lugs also contribute to cost, but acoustic drum companies have found ways to source this and get costs under control. You can now buy a four piece acoustic kit at retail for $500 with 14 SD, 12 RT, 14 FT, and 18 or 20 BD. Heck, you can find kits in just about any sizes starting around $300 for the entire kit!

To answer your question, is it hard and/or costly to have e-drums of different sizes and proper sizes? No, it isn't. However, it takes certain design goals and mindset, and thus far electronic drum companies have been shockingly (and dare I say lazily) non-innovative in this regard. It is very frustrating and one of the key reasons many drummers view e-drums as sub-standard. This is such an easy thing to fix and yet, to date, no mainstream electronic drum company has done so.

Side note: Actually, I'm wrong. Pearl has proper sizes in the eMerge kit (14 SD, 10 RT, 12 RT, 14 FT, and 18 BD), but I'm think eMerge will not be successful. Because, the pads are proprietary and cannot be used with other modules, and the MDL-1 module (a low-end affair) is at odds with the high price and high-end nature of the kit. Plus, the module is proprietary too, so you cannot use it with other pads! Ouch!
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-04-19, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Looks really good - don't know about performance. The price most certainly is in line. I agree with winterson - I'm glad they dumped the orange. Does this kit include a hi-hat stand and kick drum pedal? So far I'm impressed - not that I'm interested but it does sound promising. Good luck 2box. . . .

Comment

I'm having trouble getting on board with this new 2Box pad set. The pads are small (8 and 10 inches) and look like cheap, Medeli stuff. Granted, the sensors fare better and seem better designed than Medeli pads. The cymbals are not 360 degree rubberized and instead only have a small playing surface at their front. These kinds of cymbals don't swing naturally and (typically) give no feedback to the drummer. The bass drum is a metal tower with a nasty, hard rubber surface - this is probably loud and probably feels like hitting a wall. The rack is perfunctory. Honestly, this is the kind of gear that gives e-drums a bad name and that I advise drummers of all levels to stay far, far away from.
            Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-05-19, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
              I'm having trouble getting on board with this new 2Box pad set. The pads are small (8 and 10 inches) and look like cheap, Medeli stuff. Granted, the sensors fare better and seem better designed than Medeli pads. The cymbals are not 360 degree rubberized and instead only have a small playing surface at their front. These kinds of cymbals don't swing naturally and (typically) give no feedback to the drummer. The bass drum is a metal tower with a nasty, hard rubber surface - this is probably loud and probably feels like hitting a wall. The rack is perfunctory. Honestly, this is the kind of gear that gives e-drums a bad name and that I advise drummers of all levels to stay far, far away from.
              Sorry, but have you checked the price?
              I mean - is there really a reason to judge that kit as a competitor of a $10k TD50 kit?

Comment

It's so obvious it's basically a rebranded Medeli/OEM standard kit that we've all seen as different house brands.
                For me it's a clear sign of what revenue you can expect in the e-drum market. Companies would invest in more advanced & robust designs, with better materials and better looks, if it would pay off. But it doesn't.
                You can't run a company that only does e-drums just by selling a couple of hundreds of 'hi-end' items to a limited target audience. There's got to be something for the 'majority', and that is mainly students and hobbyists on a budget.
                gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
                band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

This kit is an entry level kit sold together with a DrumIt 3, and the goal was to create a bundle which could be shown in stores. According to the market there is a big difference in sales to show a complete kit than just a module.

Quality - I was able to beta test one part of the kit (no, I can’t say which, NDA) - and my feeling was that it was very much better than the price tag. I am actually impressed of the build quality.

Now it is up on the 2box site: http://2box-drums.com/products/speedlight-kit/

Anders / www.zourman.com
                  Last edited by angr77; 12-05-19, 02:22 PM.
                  Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
                    This kit is an entry level kit sold together with a DrumIt 3, and the goal was to create a bundle which could be shown in stores. According to the market there is a big difference in sales to show a complete kit than just a module.
                    is this why my local music store basically all but refuses to sell just modules and wants to insist on selling / trading full kits only?

also forgive me if this is covered by your NDA and you can't answer, but would you know at all why it's sold with the DI3 instead of the DI5Mk2???
                    Last edited by winterson; 12-05-19, 02:42 PM.
                    Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                      Looks really good - don't know about performance. The price most certainly is in line. I agree with winterson - I'm glad they dumped the orange. Does this kit include a hi-hat stand and kick drum pedal? So far I'm impressed - not that I'm interested but it does sound promising. Good luck 2box. . . .
                      seems to specify hi hat stand included i think. from site

1* 14 inch Hi-Hat Pad with Stand.
                      doesn't mention a kick pedal but is shown with a 2box kick pedal so i guess really could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

is this why my local music store basically all but refuses to sell just modules and wants to insist on selling / trading full kits only?
                        When they refuse it's because they don't have separate module to sell in stock, they have kit package to sell that include the module, they don't want to break out the kits remaining to sell as individual parts. You can order most module separately when the company allow them to sell.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 12-05-19, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
                          Not a surprise to me, if anything, this should have been a massive green light to Pearl once they saw the positive reception of the Mimic to get on and take some of their shells, slap some triggers in them, and market a complete kit in the TD50K to KV range. But then again, as we just discussed; it's slim pickings at the peak and I understand why Pearl pursued the Tru-trac heads as a safe middle ground.

On topic, I really hope to see that new Drumit 5 soon.
                          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                          Community Drum Module Document
                          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Mr.Boo, Sascha, and angr77,

To clarify, I am not comparing Speedlight to a TD-50 class kit. My logic is this. Electronic drums below a certain price point tend to be more unplayable than playable, more hindrance than useful. Despite the presence of the DrumIt 3 module, this Speedlight kit seems to fall into unplayable territory rather than MVP (Minimum Viable Product). Or is that MVMI (Minimum Viable Musical Instrument)? *laughs!*

angr77, once the kit is released and you get a change to play it, provided your non disclosure terms allow for this, I'd be curious to read your feedback. Maybe this kit is more playable than it looks? I'd love to try the kit myself, but 2Box stuff never comes anywhere near my country - it's always special order, buy without seeing / trying.
                            Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-06-19, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Kabonfaiba wrote:
                              On topic, I really hope to see that new Drumit 5 soon.
                              Me too! I'm curious to see the price and whether DrumIt 5 MkII adds new features in addition to what we already know. I realize the main features are universal trigger interface, better UI (more physical buttons and rotary controls), two more direct outputs, and an externally accessible SD card slot. It seems the USB port has been removed, so the only way to transfer data is to plug the SD card into a computer, as users do with card mods on previous 2Box modules.
                              Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-06-19, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X