Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Upgrading TD25 module, having trouble picking between TD50 and Mimic Pro. Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading TD25 module, having trouble picking between TD50 and Mimic Pro. Thanks!

Hey guys!

So I'm upgrading my TD 25 module (I have to as I want to use more pads/cymbals than the module allows), and I'm looking at either the TD50 or Mimic Pro, but I'm having trouble picking between the two. Initially, I was leaning heavily in favor of the Mimic Pro, as many have lauded its realistic sounds. However, one major functionality I am looking for is the ability to "record drums only," where even if I'm playing the click track internally in the module or playing around to a backing track via my phone or computer, the audio recorded that is sent to the output records "drums only," without the click track and backing track.

I am looking for this function for recording drum covers and virtual band collaborations with others. I know that the TD50 module has this "drums only" recording feature where it sends the click and backing tracks to the phones only, but as far as I know, I don't know if the Mimic Pro has this feature.

I have an acoustic kit, but my band plays more intimate/quieter settings to, and I want to be able to play live as well (the TD25 wasn't great for that). So whichever one works better for live performance would help.

One thing I do like a lot about my TD25 module is the positional sensing it has on the snare, which the TD50 has but the Mimic Pro doesn't. And the TD50 is bulkier and harder to damage it seems, whereas I'm scared the Mimic Pro's screen could break more easily.

So this is pushing me a slightly toward the TD50, but then again, the Mimic Pro has better, more realistic sounds, a lot of people prefer the Mimic Pro for those reasons. Could an option be to get the TD50, but a VST on top of it to use for at home recording? However, that is more money, and the Mimic Pro is already itself a few hundred bucks cheaper than the TD50.

The main thing I'm going to use my e-kit to do is:
    1.) Record video drum covers on YouTube
    2.) Perform live at gigs where my ekit makes more sense than my acoustic kit.

Here's a pic of my kit by the way (it's a mix of Roland TD20 pads for the toms, a drum-tec 18 inch bass, drum tec 13 inch snare, and roland cymbals, and I'm going to add another pad for a floor tom):

78554042_584431632321728_5436838227711361024_n.jpg
    Thanks so much!!!

-GoBears10
    Last edited by gobears10; 12-03-19, 06:27 PM.

that is from the mimic user manual available at http://pearl-electronics-support.com...les/mimic-pro/

click to see full size

mimic_recorder_from_user_manual.png

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
      that is from the mimic user manual available at http://pearl-electronics-support.com...les/mimic-pro/

click to see full size

mimic_recorder_from_user_manual.png
      Mr.Boo, thanks so much for showing me this! This does make me consider the Mimic Pro much more strongly now that I know it has the "drums only" recording feature as well.

Comment

nice kit pic, looks very clean. how does it look with all the cables plugged in?
        Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
          nice kit pic, looks very clean. how does it look with all the cables plugged in?
          Just got the mimic pro! I'll set it up tonight and take a pic

Comment

Originally posted by gobears10 View Post

Just got the mimic pro! I'll set it up tonight and take a pic
            Welcome to the club - you're going to love it!

BTW - if you want a screen protector, here's the one many of us use (153mm x 85mm):
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-9-10-in...72.m2749.l2649
            Last edited by molson; 12-04-19, 11:33 AM.
            Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Still gotta clean up the cables, but here's how it looks so far! The Mimic sounds so beautiful, it's like a VST in a module!! And thanks, I'll def get the screen protector

78902254_588535781949921_424750395600928768_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X