Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

How to replace tom mount bracket on PD 105/125 with a better looking bracket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace tom mount bracket on PD 105/125 with a better looking bracket?

Hey guys,

So I wasn't sure whether to put this here or DIY, but in either case, I would really appreciate your advice.

So I'm crafted a custom, modded e-kit since I'm a bit nuts and am never satisfied with stock packages (even when they're solid haha). So my latest project is putting together a Frankenstein e drum kit based around the TD20 configuration, but "upgraded" in a few ways.

'm using two 10" PD-105 BK pads as my rack toms, and I will be using two 12" PD-125 BK pads as my floor toms (I currently have one, and another one is on the way). However, I am using a drum-tec diablo 18 " bass drum, and a drum-tec hand hammered diablo 13" snare. For my cymbals, I'm using a VH-11 hi hat, Roland CY-12C, Roland CY-13R, Roland CY-14C, Roland CY-15, and a Triggera D14 China Cymbal.

I'm not a fan of racks, so I'm going completely rackless and using standard cymbal stands. I put the snare on a snare stand, and the cymbals on the cymbal stands. But for the PD-105 and PD-125 pads, I'm attaching them to my cymbal stands utilizing Gibraltar L-Arm Tom Holders (10.5mm), as they snugly fit the existing tom mounting brackets on the PD-105 and PD-125 pads.

Here is a picture of my kit in its existing form (minus the extra floor tom that is on its way). Also I have a TD25 drum module, but I'm planning to upgrade it to a TD50 or Pearl Mimic Pro soon (still deciding as there are key features of both modules I would find useful).

78554042_584431632321728_5436838227711361024_n.jpg

74379910_681984235663917_3826146189435207680_n.jpg

Now, I'm in absolute love with this setup overall and personally find it quite beautiful visually, and it also feels amazing to play on (still working on placing things more organically). However, the only thing that I find visually unappealing about this setup is the stock tom mounting bracket that comes with a PD-105 or PD-125 pad. Here are pictures of them, and I've circled in red the brackets I am talking about

78159214_2628842703871245_1820641850864697344_n.jpg

78550431_499562580645833_7884466160429694976_n.jpg

I know the process to remove these brackets so you can put the PD-105 or PD-125 on a snare stand is quite simple, and this Vdrum Tips YouTube video explains it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ynvsMt9DM

However, would it be possible to replace this bracket with something more visually appealing, something that looks like this? https://www.amazon.com/DW-DWSMTB12CR.../dp/B0007PBKBQ

Or even the type of bracket seen on the Roland PD-108 BC pad (the tom pad on the TD-50KV)? https://www.roland.com/us/products/pd-108-bc/

Thanks so much for reading through this and offering any help or guidance. I really owe this forum and its members a lot for the knowledge you all have given me, and love this community. Apologies for the long post, hahaha.

Thanks so much!
    -GoBears10
    Last edited by gobears10; 12-03-19, 01:27 PM.

gobears10,

I've been where you are. Details like that can really gnaw away at you and rob you of enjoyment. That kit you're putting together looks great already! Truly, this is an instance where I'd leave those brackets alone. The existing brackets look fine. Moreover, those Roland pads are built of an MDF-style, micro-fiber-particle board that while heavy, is not inherently solid and does not take screws well. Given the shell material, Roland made a good decision to distribute mounting force over a large portion of the shell, both horizontally and vertically. That's why those brackets are so wide. The DW bracket you suggested looks very classy, but it puts the mounting force on a small, thin part of the shell, distributing that force mostly vertically. Personally, I would NOT put narrow brackets designed for solid wood shells onto Roland MDF shells, because you risk damage to the shell over time - hole pullout and/or distortion, shell distortion, etc. I think your kit looks great, so use the built-in brackets of the PD-105 and PD-125 pads, add the additional PD-125 floor tom, and call the tom mounting aspect of your build done. That's the best advice I can give.
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-03-19, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
      gobears10,

I've been where you are. Details like that can really gnaw away at you and rob you of enjoyment. That kit you're putting together looks great already! Truly, this is an instance where I'd leave those brackets alone. The existing brackets look fine. Moreover, those Roland pads are built of an MDF-style, micro-fiber-particle board that while heavy, is not inherently solid and does not take screws well. Given the shell material, Roland made a good decision to distribute mounting force over a large portion of the shell, both horizontally and vertically. That's why those brackets are so wide. The DW bracket you suggested looks very classy, but it puts the mounting force on a small, thin part of the shell, distributing that force mostly vertically. Personally, I would NOT put narrow brackets designed for solid wood shells onto Roland MDF shells, because you risk damage to the shell over time - hole pullout and/or distortion, shell distortion, etc. I think your kit looks great, so use the built-in brackets of the PD-105 and PD-125 pads, add the additional PD-125 floor tom, and call the tom mounting aspect of your build done. That's the best advice I can give.
      TangTheHump,

You may be completely right! After thinking it through, I realized I was making a mile out of a molehill. The specific bracket doesn't make or break anything really. Appreciate this thoughtful response!

Comment

gobears10,

You are most welcome!

Side note: I wrote "Moreover, those Roland pads are built of an MDF-style, micro-fiber-particle board that while heavy, is not inherently solid and does not take screws well." By this, I did not mean you would screw directly into the shell. Rather, I assumed you would use the washers and bolts that come with the DW brackets, so you'd be drilling and sandwiching the shell rather than just screwing into it. Still, with MDF shells, I would not risk using a thin bracket designed for solid wood or plywood.

Good luck with the remainder of your build and with your module upgrade!
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-03-19, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X