Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Selling a kit versus parting it out - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a kit versus parting it out - thoughts?

So last week I happened into a good deal on a TD-17KVX kit (sorta - has the fixed HH and only one crash - but all mesh pads) - which means I can sell my TD-11KV kit outright.

HOWEVER - I've done some thinking. I could make use of a few of the parts from my old kit (the extra crash, and a few stand parts, for example) so it might be better to sell it as pieces rather than the whole kit. I have the kit listed on the local Facebook Marketplace and have gotten some feelers, but I'm curious about other folks' experience in this area.

So what do you think?

If your current kit had popular parts (PD85, PDX-100, CY-8 to CY-13) you could sell individual parts for more than what you would get for selling them all together, but in your case I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. If I understood correctly what parts your kit has, there's nothing that you could sell that won't make the remainder look unattractive as a whole, in which case you'd have to sell them literally one by one and the rack for example would be quite hard/slow to sell. Maybe you could sell one of the 3 toms but that's not much.
    Last edited by Excessium; 12-02-19, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I've done the numbers (looked on reverb / ebay, made a spreadsheet) - if I was PATIENT, I could not just make a bit more money, but I could save some parts I like for my new kit. But I'd rather just have some one buy it. I'm asking $650 locally (which is a bit high, I know - but I expect some bargaining); The rack - I have no clue what would become of that. Who'd buy it? The real money is in the module, the PDX-8 toms and maybe the the HH/Kick pedals. The HH/rubber toms would fetch me maybe $100 for all 4 pieces.

Comment

I went through this last summer and ended up selling parting out my e-kit piece by piece. It was a good decision on my part because everything sold in 4 days and I got my asking price for just about every component. I found that many people were searching for a specific component to add to their kit or replace something that was no longer working. Some came looking for a specific item and walked away buying other components because everything was in good/excellent condition and priced right. One guy bought a Roland ride cymbal from me only to have his own module die the next day. He contacted me right away because he knew I had a TD-12 ready to sell. It would've taken much longer to sell it as a complete kit.
        Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Well, to answer my own question - I'm parting out my TD11 and already it looks like I'll make more money AND end up with a few nice spares I can use on my TD-17 (extra cymbal & boom - handy). I suppose I answered my question!

Comment

Working...
          X