Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

EDrumIn, let's talk about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by perceval View Post

It would certainly help while running a VST, but I'm not sure if the DTX502 has more sounds than the ones you are already triggering with the HH65 connected directly. edrumin can send more notes and CC messages, but you'd need to find out if the module has those additional sounds to play... I'm afraid not, but my memory fails me regarding the DTX502.
    Just to be clear - I have 2 use cases in mind:

#1 is to see if I can use the eDRUMin to provide a better hi-hat implementation on my Alesis SMP, via MIDI in. The HH config and response on the SMP is clunky at best. Also, I had to make a 'special' cable with T&R swapped so that I can use my HH65 with the Alesis. The eDRUMin would take care of that for me, so then I'd no longer need to keep a "special" cable around.

#2 is to try and use the eDRUMin to add a couple more cymbal inputs into the DTX502. There are plenty of samples available on the DTX - I'm just not sure if or how I can trigger them via MIDI from the eDRUMin unless they're first assigned to a physical trigger input on the DTX502. The more I think about, the less I think that is possible since I don't recall any way to access a sample unless it's assigned to a trigger. Worst-case I may be able to map those notes to unused secondary triggers on tom1 and tom3. Will see.

I'll try to be diligent about posting progress here.
    ttyl
    /doug
    - Yamaha DTX-502
    - Alesis Strike MultiPad
    - Roland PM16 (yes, really)
    - Alesis HR16 (I know, right?)

Comment

• I have zero experience with the SMP, so I can't help you there.

But for #2, you would need to have a MIDI IN input in your module, which the DTX502 does not have.

I have MIDI IN with my DTX700, and I can confirm that plugging a pad into the eDrumin, and that one connected to the MIDI IN of the module, I can scroll through the midi notes on the device, and it triggers any and all the sounds stored in the module.
      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I have zero experience with the SMP, so I can't help you there.

But for #2, you would need to have a MIDI IN input in your module, which the DTX502 does not have.
        Correct that the DTX502 does not have a 5-pin DIN MIDI interface.
        BUT it does support MIDI over USB, and I can confirm that it (at least) responds to MIDI PC commands via USB MIDI. (I rely on that feauture to automatically load kits at gigs from OnSong.)

I *will* need to dig out a USB/MIDI box that I have somewhere in my bonepile to convert the 5-pin DIN MIDI output from the eDRUMin to USB -- and then hope that I can make that "do the needful".

Otherwise... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Yamaha DTX-502
        - Alesis Strike MultiPad
        - Roland PM16 (yes, really)
        - Alesis HR16 (I know, right?)

Comment

• Why only 4 ports and 1 hi hat pedal port? Seems really counter intuitive to me since it is not extremely small only for a few pads and it is not big enough to accommodate a normal e drum set up.

Comment

• Originally posted by silot View Post
            Why only 4 ports and 1 hi hat pedal port? Seems really counter intuitive to me since it is not extremely small only for a few pads and it is not big enough to accommodate a normal e drum set up.
            I think we all need to realize this is not intended to be a full kit interface. It has great capabilities, but its just a supplement. That said, read this thread in full and you will see that those 4 inputs can support many more pads with dual triggering capability. Pay close attention to Perceval's posts in particular.
            Last edited by jpsquared482; 01-18-20, 08:24 AM. Reason: Changed reference from Sacha to Perceval.
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Dudicle View Post

Correct that the DTX502 does not have a 5-pin DIN MIDI interface.
              BUT it does support MIDI over USB, and I can confirm that it (at least) responds to MIDI PC commands via USB MIDI. (I rely on that feauture to automatically load kits at gigs from OnSong.)

I *will* need to dig out a USB/MIDI box that I have somewhere in my bonepile to convert the 5-pin DIN MIDI output from the eDRUMin to USB -- and then hope that I can make that "do the needful".

Otherwise... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
              That could be cool.

keep us posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

I think we all need to realize this is not intended to be a full kit interface. It has great capabilities, but its just a supplement. That said, read this thread in full and you will see that those 4 inputs can support many more pads with dual triggering capability. Pay close attention to Sacha's posts in particular.
                agree. one possibility i considered was:

hi-hat (input 1 plus rear input)
                3-zone snare (input 2)
                3-zone ride, thus includes crash (input3)
                bass drum and tom+rim (input 4)

this would be almost equivalent to one of my acoustic set ups (i would be minus one cymbal and one wood block) and close to kits played by billy martin (usually uses hats and one cymbal, though he uses 2 toms and also does cart around about a thousand percussive bits and pieces ) and carter mclean with charlie hunter (though he uses a 2nd cymbal).

the problem for me personally is that i would end up with a weird bunch of leftover odds and ends to sell and i’m not into stuffing around with the 2nd hand market as a seller.

i can still trial this anyway and will do so at some point when my eDRUMin arrives.

i can also decide to buy a 2nd one in the future, and get enough inputs for two more toms+rims, two percussion pieces, a second 3-zone cymbal and still have an input spare
                Last edited by jackodrum; 01-17-20, 09:53 PM.
                E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

• Here's an example of what the unit can bring to a kit... and I didn't split anything, so imagine that this could be bigger, it's just... I don't have the space as you can see in my picture. But, beggars can't be choosers... it's the only corner of my house I can leave the kit up and running, so that's where it lives.

I now have a 3-zone snare, a 3-zone HH, a 3-zone tom1 (head for tom, rims up and down for 2 fx sounds like claps, cowbell), 4 toms in total, kick, a splash and a china from my DTX700 combined with the eDRUMin device. I still have a couple of single zone inputs.
                  As we know, it's quite hard to DIY with a Yamaha module, and darn right impossible to get 3-zone pads, unless buying Yamaha's own. I personally don't like the feel of the silicone on the TCS pads.... feels like hitting an overdone pasta.

I'm mostly playing VST, but the eDRUMin is wired to the DTX700 via MIDI in, and all those pads could be triggered internally, with the extensive percussion sounds all available on the module.

So, for limited modules, this little unit is just great.

But in the future, I know I will ditch the module completely, and go with a trigger based system. No more module for me... soon!

For now, I am enjoying this extended kit that pretty much has everything I want/need.

Photo 2020-01-18, 2 05 49 PM.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

• nice set up perceval

the eDRUMin is wired to the DTX700 via MIDI in
                    thanks - i wondered if i would be able to set mine up this way with the TD9:

eDRUMin > TD9 > scarlett > imac

i suspected i would - i already have local control off so i figured it would work and i’d prefer to set the kit up this way. my dispreferred alternative, if necessary, would have been to go:

TD9 > scarlett > usb imac
                    and in parallel
                    eDRUMin > usb imac

looking forward to experimenting with which pads i run thru the eDRUMin

in my case, it’s not to expand the kit but to get positional sensing and hotspot suppression

Last edited by jackodrum; 01-18-20, 03:37 AM.
                    E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

• remember that you will still need to power the unit, so either a spare USB cable from iMac to eDRUMin, or a dedicated 5V power plug... could even be a spare cellphone battery with a USB output.

Comment

• I have mine plugged into a D-LINK DUB-H4, 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub which comes with a power adapter. It's been working great for powering USB keyboards, the MegaDrum, eDRUMIN and the Behringer UMC202HD
                        Ludwig Accent Combo 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| MegaDrum 32 input | eDrumin | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer 2 and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors

Comment

• Hello,

Has anyone tried the Yamaha XP120 pads with the eDrumin yet? How well do they work together, what is your impression? Any problems to get all three zones working?

Best regards,
                          LS•Drums
                          Lenovo i5, 16GB RAM, SSD HD | RME Fireface UCX | Audiofront eDrumin (2x) | Audioström LiveProfessor 2 | Steven Slate Drums 5 & Microtonic | Tama Iron Cobra & Roland KD-7 | Roland FD-9 | Roland & Yamaha cymbals (CY-8, CY-5, PCY135) | Yamaha XP120T and Medeli mesh pads 10" & 8" | Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 | Korg Kaoss Pad 3+ | Boss RC-300

Comment

• I have a Yamaha look-alike pad, same construction with a head piezo, and two switches for dual rim zones.

All three zones work as they supposed to, using the preset of 3-zone Yamaha pad.

Comment

I have a Yamaha look-alike pad, same construction with a head piezo, and two switches for dual rim zones.

All three zones work as they supposed to, using the preset of 3-zone Yamaha pad.
                              Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I ordered an used Yamaha XP-120T yesterday, I'm looking forward to trying it out.
                              So far, the eDrumin has been working amazingly with my pads, I'm really glad I stumbled across this little device. If anyone is interested, I can leave a feedback on how well this pad performs with the eDrumin.

Best regards,
                              LS•Drums
                              Last edited by LS.Drums; 02-03-20, 12:13 PM.
                              Lenovo i5, 16GB RAM, SSD HD | RME Fireface UCX | Audiofront eDrumin (2x) | Audioström LiveProfessor 2 | Steven Slate Drums 5 & Microtonic | Tama Iron Cobra & Roland KD-7 | Roland FD-9 | Roland & Yamaha cymbals (CY-8, CY-5, PCY135) | Yamaha XP120T and Medeli mesh pads 10" & 8" | Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 | Korg Kaoss Pad 3+ | Boss RC-300

Comment

• Originally posted by LS.Drums View Post

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I ordered an used Yamah XP-120T yesterday, I'm looking forward to trying it out.
                                So far, the eDrumin has been working amazingly with my pads, I'm really glad I stumbled across this little device. If anyone is interested, I can leave a feedback on how well this pad performs with the eDrumin.

Best regards,
                                LS•Drums
                                Why a Yamha XP-120 and no ATV or Jobeky, or DrumTec Pad?

Don`t know where you are, but in Europe you pay 350 Euro for that pad. Lots of options for that price.
                                A2E: PDP M5 Cherry Red, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland /ddt Triggersamaha Cymbals:PCY135, PCY155 Roland FD-9. TD17 and Audiofron eDrumIn Module. Triggering AD2, SD3 and SSD5.

Comment

Working...
                                X