Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Mimic together with Yamaha Hardware / Pads a good combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bamadingdong
    replied
    Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post

thanks, so you gone from the mimic to the drumit3?
    thats interesting. did you convert your sd3 library yourself one by one via the 2box editor?
    I still own a drumit5 with the card mod but didnt liked the hihat at all. what kind of hihat pad do you use with the drumit3?
    what do you mean with "given up a bit"?
    Sorry for long time not visiting this website. I haven't done any conversions yet just anticipating what might be accomplished. I won't need a whole lot of kits as I have a favorite from SD-3 and will just add some extra kicks/snares/cymbals/percussion as desired alternatives. How did we get along on our acoustic sets with just ONE kit sound...LOL. Haven't had a chance yet to put the module through it's paces though I can trigger via Roland/Yamaha pads or a Trapkat. The 'giving up a bit' means all the great things the Mimic does well-Large screen, great pad interface, lots of inputs/outputs, well thought out, etc.
    Last edited by bamadingdong; 12-10-19, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• docdoghouse
    replied
    Originally posted by bamadingdong View Post
    I used the VH-13, Roland PD-105's and PD/KD-125's, Yamaha PCY-130sc, 130s, 150s with the Mimic Pro. All, once adjusted with the modules comprehensive triggering adjustment engine, played and responded excellently. The ability of the modules ability to adjust the myriad drum/mixing/triggering parameters, are well thought out generally. I personally prefer the drum sounds in SD3 (and others) better than the Mimic's Slate VST in the Mimic Pro, and wish more libraries were available, but this is admittedly a personal preference. I do use a RME bus interface as well as a Mackie Onyx Blackbird and find I can get very minimal latency figures from both triggering SD3 via the computer and a Kat Trapkat. As far as the triggering engine and the ability to adjust the various parameters one might be interested in controlling, the Mimic beats anything I've used, though I've not used every device available. Have recently purchased a 2Box Drumit 3 to see how well it does playing the kits from SD3 and possibly other VST's. I know I'll be giving up a bit of 'stuff' with the 2Box vs the Mimic, but for good or bad, I'll have the sounds I'm after. How it plays those sounds will be important. As always, your mileage may vary.
    thanks, so you gone from the mimic to the drumit3?
    thats interesting. did you convert your sd3 library yourself one by one via the 2box editor?
    I still own a drumit5 with the card mod but didnt liked the hihat at all. what kind of hihat pad do you use with the drumit3?
    what do you mean with "given up a bit"?

Leave a comment:

• bamadingdong
    replied
    I used the VH-13, Roland PD-105's and PD/KD-125's, Yamaha PCY-130sc, 130s, 150s with the Mimic Pro. All, once adjusted with the modules comprehensive triggering adjustment engine, played and responded excellently. The ability of the modules ability to adjust the myriad drum/mixing/triggering parameters, are well thought out generally. I personally prefer the drum sounds in SD3 (and others) better than the Mimic's Slate VST in the Mimic Pro, and wish more libraries were available, but this is admittedly a personal preference. I do use a RME bus interface as well as a Mackie Onyx Blackbird and find I can get very minimal latency figures from both triggering SD3 via the computer and a Kat Trapkat. As far as the triggering engine and the ability to adjust the various parameters one might be interested in controlling, the Mimic beats anything I've used, though I've not used every device available. Have recently purchased a 2Box Drumit 3 to see how well it does playing the kits from SD3 and possibly other VST's. I know I'll be giving up a bit of 'stuff' with the 2Box vs the Mimic, but for good or bad, I'll have the sounds I'm after. How it plays those sounds will be important. As always, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by bamadingdong; 12-02-19, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• docdoghouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Excessium View Post
    Do you mean the hi-hat triggering provided by TD-30 as opposed to previous Roland modules, or are we talking about VH-12/13 themselves?
    i am not sure, the td30 & VH13 combination is quite better than the td20&Vh11 combi i had several years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Excessium
    replied
    what do you mean? different = better?
    i am doing electro drumming for a long time. There are maybe three moments when i felt real progression: The hihat on the TD30
    Do you mean the hi-hat triggering provided by TD-30 as opposed to previous Roland modules, or are we talking about VH-12/13 themselves?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied
    i am doing electro drumming for a long time. There are maybe three moments when i felt real progression: The hihat on the TD30, the acoustic, dynamic and pure raw charme of the AD5, the
    editor on the drumit5.

But yet, non of the modules is perfect in the way that all those mentioned aspects are combined in one module.
    I guess the search for the holy grail will go on (and on and on) But i i am sceptical, will the Mimic satisfiy me? I know there is no editor like the one for the drumit, but in regards of
    "feeling" is it up par with the ATV?
    My biggest concerns are about the hihat, as an acoustic drummer, its the most annoying aspect of and e-set.
    Ok, your opinion please, is the mimic the best module can buy today?

I like it a lot more than the AD5. The Hi hat works better for me and has a lot more trigger adjustments. The sound of the Mimic is also exceptional with control over all mics of each drum.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Boo
    replied
    One more question (thanks for your patience)

Would it be a good idea to buy the steven slate 5 software before ordering the mimic? Is it possible to directly play it as a plugin with tolerable latency?
    Will it be comparable how the mimic will play and feel?
    No. The only thing that VSTi and Mimic has in common is sample library. And even the library (samples) is edited differently for mimic.
    The code is 100% different.
    On top of that, a huge part of the performance is the triggering engine, and obviously VSTi does not do any triggering, your module do.

Leave a comment:

• perceval
    replied

This is said so often, but although i am using modern computers and RME interfaces, there is still a latency that is annoying. Why do everyone suggest VST drums?
    I dont get it, for post production, ok, but as an instrument played and monitored directly, it is indisputable not the right thing for me.

Maybe i am doing something wrong. But i am very delicat about latency, in fact i feel the acoustic lateny also i.e. when the studio monitor (drumfill on stage) is to far away.
    With a modern computer and a RME interface, if done right, most people would not feel any latency.
    Get down to 32 samples, and you'd be pretty much on par to the latency from a module.

Leave a comment:

• docdoghouse
    replied
    One more question (thanks for your patience)

Would it be a good idea to buy the steven slate 5 software before ordering the mimic? Is it possible to directly play it as a plugin with tolerable latency?
    Will it be comparable how the mimic will play and feel?

Leave a comment:

• docdoghouse
    replied
    Originally posted by perceval View Post
    I'd be cheaper to buy a VST if you have a computer you can use... and use the DTX900 as a MIDI sending device.
    This is said so often, but although i am using modern computers and RME interfaces, there is still a latency that is annoying. Why do everyone suggest VST drums?
    I dont get it, for post production, ok, but as an instrument played and monitored directly, it is indisputable not the right thing for me.

Maybe i am doing something wrong. But i am very delicat about latency, in fact i feel the acoustic lateny also i.e. when the studio monitor (drumfill on stage) is to far away.

Leave a comment:

• docdoghouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
    The Mimic performs at a very different level.
    i am doing electro drumming for a long time. There are maybe three moments when i felt real progression: The hihat on the TD30, the acoustic, dynamic and pure raw charme of the AD5, the
    editor on the drumit5.

But yet, non of the modules is perfect in the way that all those mentioned aspects are combined in one module.
    I guess the search for the holy grail will go on (and on and on) But i i am sceptical, will the Mimic satisfiy me? I know there is no editor like the one for the drumit, but in regards of
    "feeling" is it up par with the ATV?
    My biggest concerns are about the hihat, as an acoustic drummer, its the most annoying aspect of and e-set.
    Ok, your opinion please, is the mimic the best module can buy today?

Leave a comment:

• docdoghouse
    replied
    Originally posted by tivi View Post
    I use all silicon pads and yamaha crash ride cymbals all 3 zones work on mimic pro. Hihat i use VH10.
    great, thanks, that helped a lot.

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    I use all silicon pads and yamaha crash ride cymbals all 3 zones work on mimic pro. Hihat i use VH10.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied
    All good suggestions depending on your needs. I used to own a DTX900 and the machine gunning is extremely obvious. The sounds are fairly punchy through a PA which is nice. The Mimic performs at a very different level. If you are happy with how the DTX900 sounds,then just add a cheap module to the MIDI in. If you want something that performs better than a VST and has the same sound quality in a module,get the Mimic.

Leave a comment:

• perceval
    replied
    Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
    "Hi, sooner or later i will buy a Mimic" - why?
    Maybe looking for better sounds than the ones in the DTX900?

I'd be cheaper to buy a VST if you have a computer you can use... and use the DTX900 as a MIDI sending device.

I had read that the PCY cymbals showed up as 3 zones. Good to know that the silicone pads are also recognized as 3 zones on the Mimic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X