Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Mimic together with Yamaha Hardware / Pads a good combination?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mimic together with Yamaha Hardware / Pads a good combination?

    Hi, sooner or later i will buy a Mimic, they are very expensive here in Germany, any idea where to get one?

    But my question is: i got a dtx 900 set, maxed out with many pads and cymbals. The Hex Rack and hardware is unsurpassed.
    I really love the silicone pads and find the 3 zone solution far better than rolands approach. I too hate the center trigger pads and dont like the tennis racket feeling of meshpads. Ok, my VH13 excels the yamaha hihat, so i am considering buying a vh10 or equivalent.

    To my dissapointment the ad5 do not really support the dtx silicone pads, its not possible to use both rim zones independently!
    will the Mimic be compatible in this regard?

  • #2
    "Hi, sooner or later i will buy a Mimic" - why?

    "i got a dtx 900 set, maxed out with many pads and cymbals" - get any old €100 or less Yamaha module off ebay with MIDI out and MIDI that to your DTX.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-Drum-...X/392547224436
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post
      Hi, sooner or later i will buy a Mimic, they are very expensive here in Germany, any idea where to get one?

      But my question is: i got a dtx 900 set, maxed out with many pads and cymbals. The Hex Rack and hardware is unsurpassed.
      I really love the silicone pads and find the 3 zone solution far better than rolands approach. I too hate the center trigger pads and dont like the tennis racket feeling of meshpads. Ok, my VH13 excels the yamaha hihat, so i am considering buying a vh10 or equivalent.

      To my dissapointment the ad5 do not really support the dtx silicone pads, its not possible to use both rim zones independently!
      will the Mimic be compatible in this regard?
      Silicon compatible with all full zones. You can have up to 24 triggers per kit 16 internal + 8 on midi.
      Last edited by Chris K; 11-27-19, 01:08 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        "Hi, sooner or later i will buy a Mimic" - why?
        Maybe looking for better sounds than the ones in the DTX900?

        I'd be cheaper to buy a VST if you have a computer you can use... and use the DTX900 as a MIDI sending device.

        I had read that the PCY cymbals showed up as 3 zones. Good to know that the silicone pads are also recognized as 3 zones on the Mimic.
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

        My new venture: voglosounds.com

        Comment


        • #5
          All good suggestions depending on your needs. I used to own a DTX900 and the machine gunning is extremely obvious. The sounds are fairly punchy through a PA which is nice. The Mimic performs at a very different level. If you are happy with how the DTX900 sounds,then just add a cheap module to the MIDI in. If you want something that performs better than a VST and has the same sound quality in a module,get the Mimic.

          Comment


          • #6
            I use all silicon pads and yamaha crash ride cymbals all 3 zones work on mimic pro. Hihat i use VH10.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tivi View Post
              I use all silicon pads and yamaha crash ride cymbals all 3 zones work on mimic pro. Hihat i use VH10.
              great, thanks, that helped a lot.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                The Mimic performs at a very different level.
                what do you mean? different = better?
                i am doing electro drumming for a long time. There are maybe three moments when i felt real progression: The hihat on the TD30, the acoustic, dynamic and pure raw charme of the AD5, the
                editor on the drumit5.

                But yet, non of the modules is perfect in the way that all those mentioned aspects are combined in one module.
                I guess the search for the holy grail will go on (and on and on) But i i am sceptical, will the Mimic satisfiy me? I know there is no editor like the one for the drumit, but in regards of
                "feeling" is it up par with the ATV?
                My biggest concerns are about the hihat, as an acoustic drummer, its the most annoying aspect of and e-set.
                Ok, your opinion please, is the mimic the best module can buy today?




                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by perceval View Post
                  I'd be cheaper to buy a VST if you have a computer you can use... and use the DTX900 as a MIDI sending device.
                  This is said so often, but although i am using modern computers and RME interfaces, there is still a latency that is annoying. Why do everyone suggest VST drums?
                  I dont get it, for post production, ok, but as an instrument played and monitored directly, it is indisputable not the right thing for me.

                  Maybe i am doing something wrong. But i am very delicat about latency, in fact i feel the acoustic lateny also i.e. when the studio monitor (drumfill on stage) is to far away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One more question (thanks for your patience)

                    Would it be a good idea to buy the steven slate 5 software before ordering the mimic? Is it possible to directly play it as a plugin with tolerable latency?
                    Will it be comparable how the mimic will play and feel?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post

                      This is said so often, but although i am using modern computers and RME interfaces, there is still a latency that is annoying. Why do everyone suggest VST drums?
                      I dont get it, for post production, ok, but as an instrument played and monitored directly, it is indisputable not the right thing for me.

                      Maybe i am doing something wrong. But i am very delicat about latency, in fact i feel the acoustic lateny also i.e. when the studio monitor (drumfill on stage) is to far away.
                      With a modern computer and a RME interface, if done right, most people would not feel any latency.
                      Get down to 32 samples, and you'd be pretty much on par to the latency from a module.
                      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

                      My new venture: voglosounds.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post
                        One more question (thanks for your patience)

                        Would it be a good idea to buy the steven slate 5 software before ordering the mimic? Is it possible to directly play it as a plugin with tolerable latency?
                        Will it be comparable how the mimic will play and feel?
                        No. The only thing that VSTi and Mimic has in common is sample library. And even the library (samples) is edited differently for mimic.
                        The code is 100% different.
                        On top of that, a huge part of the performance is the triggering engine, and obviously VSTi does not do any triggering, your module do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post
                          what do you mean? different = better?
                          i am doing electro drumming for a long time. There are maybe three moments when i felt real progression: The hihat on the TD30, the acoustic, dynamic and pure raw charme of the AD5, the
                          editor on the drumit5.

                          But yet, non of the modules is perfect in the way that all those mentioned aspects are combined in one module.
                          I guess the search for the holy grail will go on (and on and on) But i i am sceptical, will the Mimic satisfiy me? I know there is no editor like the one for the drumit, but in regards of
                          "feeling" is it up par with the ATV?
                          My biggest concerns are about the hihat, as an acoustic drummer, its the most annoying aspect of and e-set.
                          Ok, your opinion please, is the mimic the best module can buy today?



                          I like it a lot more than the AD5. The Hi hat works better for me and has a lot more trigger adjustments. The sound of the Mimic is also exceptional with control over all mics of each drum.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post
                            what do you mean? different = better?
                            i am doing electro drumming for a long time. There are maybe three moments when i felt real progression: The hihat on the TD30
                            Do you mean the hi-hat triggering provided by TD-30 as opposed to previous Roland modules, or are we talking about VH-12/13 themselves?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                              Do you mean the hi-hat triggering provided by TD-30 as opposed to previous Roland modules, or are we talking about VH-12/13 themselves?
                              i am not sure, the td30 & VH13 combination is quite better than the td20&Vh11 combi i had several years ago.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X