Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Which electronic hi hat is (almost) as sensitive as a real hi hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which electronic hi hat is (almost) as sensitive as a real hi hat

I am wondering since there are multiple hi hat brands and models around. Which hi hat brand/model comes close to a real hi hat if you look at sensitivity?

for example with a real hi hat a slight loosen motion of your foot immediately gives a different sound with minimal open hats.
    Is there a brand that can accomplish this?
    Roland TD-12 on a Linko acoustic kit, converted from A to E with Remo Silentstroke heads, 2Box Trigit triggers, Triggera Snare trigger, Arborea Low Volume cymbals with DIY triggers (work in progress), Superior Drummer 2, BFD3, Steinberg UR22MKII, MacBook pro

The ATV hats and Roland VH-13’s are often regarded as the best 2 in the market today... Neither is bargain, and both use a different CC approach - optical on the ATV and physical on the Roland - but you can’t go wrong with either.

Of course you also need to keep in mind that the module and settings running the HiHat will greatly impact performance as well...
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

The HH pedal system sends a continuously variable number, from 0 to 127, to tell a module or VST how much closed, or opened, it is.

Most HH out there will do that, unless you get some really cheapo HH setup.

But it seems you are more interested in the sound it makes at different openings.
      That is module or VST specific, and has nothing to do with hardware.

You will not get the same response from an e-HH as from an acoustic HH.... none of the modules or VSTs out there can do that... at this time anyway.

Sorry, but it is one of the limitations with an e-kit.
      There are advantages and limitations on both kits, e-kits and acoustic.

If you want the real feel and sound, you'll have to go for an acoustic HH.

Some people can't live with the lack of nuances and have electronic drum pads, but acoustic cymbals and HH.
      Last edited by perceval; 11-13-19, 10:30 AM.
      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
        The HH pedal system sends a continuously variable number, from 0 to 127, to tell a module or VST how much closed, or opened, it is.

Most HH out there will do that, unless you get some really cheapo HH setup.

But it seems you are more interested in the sound it makes at different openings.
        That is module or VST specific, and has nothing to do with hardware.

You will not get the same response from an e-HH as from an acoustic HH.... none of the modules or VSTs out there can do that... at this time anyway.

Sorry, but it is one of the limitations with an e-kit.
        There are advantages and limitations on both kits, e-kits and acoustic.

If you want the real feel and sound, you'll have to go for an acoustic HH.

Some people can't live with the lack of nuances and have electronic drum pads, but acoustic cymbals and HH.
        Maybe my initial question was incorrect, when I rethink it. I know my 2Box module which has real multilayered samples supports positions from 0 to 10.
        I am aware with the limitations of an e-hi hat/module but wonder which one comes closest.
        Roland TD-12 on a Linko acoustic kit, converted from A to E with Remo Silentstroke heads, 2Box Trigit triggers, Triggera Snare trigger, Arborea Low Volume cymbals with DIY triggers (work in progress), Superior Drummer 2, BFD3, Steinberg UR22MKII, MacBook pro

Comment

ATV and Roland VH13. I am selling a perfect set of VH13's in the classifieds. I compared them back and forth with the ATV hi hats on a Mimic. They both perform the same but the ATV's are larger which I prefer. The VH13's are slightly quieter and the hardware design is firmer which I like. I added a rubber pad to the bottom of my ATV hi hats to make it more solid.

Comment

Like Peter, I have both the ATV and VH-13 hi hats. I’ve primarily been playing SD3 with my TD-50 and the VH-13 hats seem smoother and more responsive, especially when playing the edge. Also, they are lighter and a tad quieter than the ATV’s. But if you want a larger playing surface the ATVs are the way to go.
            ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

I've swapped back and forth between the ATV and VH13 so many times it makes my head spin. I've finally decided to stay with the ATV. I have long legs, so my HH stand has to be quite a distance away, so the extra playing surface size helps me a lot. Performance wise I find them VERY close.
              ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

I was told about Field electronic drums hi-hat a while back and finally got one. I would say it is definitely the best feeling and realistic looking hi-hat on the market currently. I used the vh-13 trigger settings in my Pearl Mimic and it has been awesome so far.

Comment

Originally posted by BillClarke View Post
                  I was told about Field electronic drums hi-hat a while back and finally got one. I would say it is definitely the best feeling and realistic looking hi-hat on the market currently. I used the vh-13 trigger settings in my Pearl Mimic and it has been awesome so far.
                  This is interesting, I posted in another thread a question about the quality and performance of the new line of Field cymbals because I couldn’t find any independent user reviews online. But not much response though.

Comment

Working...
                  X