Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Audio Interface or mixer for drum room?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paradiddle Dan
    Registered Member
    • 10-2019

Audio Interface or mixer for drum room?

The story so far.....built a home practice room and plan to do a bit of recording with guitarists at some point.

Bought a 2nd hand TD12 kit and superior drummer 3 and the plan is to have a tv connected to the MacBook so I can watch YouTube for drum lessons etc.

Having never used an interface would I be able to create a headphone mix of the multiple audio sources with the interface alone or would I need a small mixer?

• electrodrummer
    Registered Member
    • 07-2009

Just get a mixer.

everything ---> mixer --> cans.

Simples.
    *** MIDI IN: good. Cable snake: bad ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules and TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

• Peter Warren
      Registered Member
      • 07-2012

Originally posted by Paradiddle Dan
      The story so far.....built a home practice room and plan to do a bit of recording with guitarists at some point.

Bought a 2nd hand TD12 kit and superior drummer 3 and the plan is to have a tv connected to the MacBook so I can watch YouTube for drum lessons etc.

Having never used an interface would I be able to create a headphone mix of the multiple audio sources with the interface alone or would I need a small mixer?
      An interface will be more likely to have multiple headphone mixes and be more useful for recording. What is your budget?

Comment

• Paradiddle Dan
        Registered Member
        • 10-2019

Comment

• Chance27
          Registered Member
          • 09-2017

I agree with Peter, get an audio interface. Focusrite is always a good choice.
          Yamaha DTX10K-M, Superior Drummer 3.0, Gretsch Drums, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

• rdubu
            Registered Member
            • 03-2019

Yeah. A Scarlett solo goes for about a $100 and the new ones come with USB-C connections... Well worth it.
            Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

• Paradiddle Dan
              Registered Member
              • 10-2019

Great advice, trying to workout how many inputs il need....am I right in thinking the output from my DAW does not count as a physical input?

So I’m thinking I’d need a physical input for;

1.tv audio,
              2. my phone (to play along to songs etc)
              3. output from SD3 (for stand alone practice)
              4. guitar/vocals for recording

Plus Midi from the TD12

So a 4 input interface with midi would do the job??

Comment

• Peter Warren
                Registered Member
                • 07-2012

Originally posted by Paradiddle Dan
                Great advice, trying to workout how many inputs il need....am I right in thinking the output from my DAW does not count as a physical input?

So I’m thinking I’d need a physical input for;

1.tv audio,
                2. my phone (to play along to songs etc)
                3. output from SD3 (for stand alone practice)
                4. guitar/vocals for recording

Plus Midi from the TD12

So a 4 input interface with midi would do the job??
                If your Tv and Sd3 are from the same computer, you could get by with 4 inputs.You would bypass the built in sound card on the computer. Cheaper interfaces may only have 1 headphone mix. Some of the ones over around $200 have a software mixer that can do more detailed mixes.

Comment

• Paradiddle Dan
                  Registered Member
                  • 10-2019

Great, thanks guys.

Comment

Working...