Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Audio Interface or mixer for drum room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Interface or mixer for drum room?

The story so far.....built a home practice room and plan to do a bit of recording with guitarists at some point.

Bought a 2nd hand TD12 kit and superior drummer 3 and the plan is to have a tv connected to the MacBook so I can watch YouTube for drum lessons etc.

Having never used an interface would I be able to create a headphone mix of the multiple audio sources with the interface alone or would I need a small mixer?

Just get a mixer.

everything ---> mixer --> cans.

Simples.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradiddle Dan View Post
      The story so far.....built a home practice room and plan to do a bit of recording with guitarists at some point.

Bought a 2nd hand TD12 kit and superior drummer 3 and the plan is to have a tv connected to the MacBook so I can watch YouTube for drum lessons etc.

Having never used an interface would I be able to create a headphone mix of the multiple audio sources with the interface alone or would I need a small mixer?
      An interface will be more likely to have multiple headphone mixes and be more useful for recording. What is your budget?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, budget is about 100/$.

Comment

I agree with Peter, get an audio interface. Focusrite is always a good choice.
          ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Yeah. A Scarlett solo goes for about a $100 and the new ones come with USB-C connections... Well worth it.
            Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Great advice, trying to workout how many inputs il need....am I right in thinking the output from my DAW does not count as a physical input?

So I’m thinking I’d need a physical input for;

1.tv audio,
              2. my phone (to play along to songs etc)
              3. output from SD3 (for stand alone practice)
              4. guitar/vocals for recording

Plus Midi from the TD12

So a 4 input interface with midi would do the job??

Comment

Originally posted by Paradiddle Dan View Post
                Great advice, trying to workout how many inputs il need....am I right in thinking the output from my DAW does not count as a physical input?

So I’m thinking I’d need a physical input for;

1.tv audio,
                2. my phone (to play along to songs etc)
                3. output from SD3 (for stand alone practice)
                4. guitar/vocals for recording

Plus Midi from the TD12

So a 4 input interface with midi would do the job??
                If your Tv and Sd3 are from the same computer, you could get by with 4 inputs.You would bypass the built in sound card on the computer. Cheaper interfaces may only have 1 headphone mix. Some of the ones over around $200 have a software mixer that can do more detailed mixes.

Comment

Great, thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X