Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Roland TD-11KV or TD-17KVX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-11KV or TD-17KVX

Hi all,

Absolute novice here so take it easy on me! I recently took up some drumming lessons and found that a) I have a modicum of talent and b) I loved it.

Since my lessons finished, I’ve been doing a lot of research on kits (with limited knowledge) and have come to the conclusion that a Roland kit is the way to go. The kit will purely be for home use and with two small children in the house, the quieter the better so headphones are essential.

I’ve been looking at used kits as these seem better value and have found a local deal on Facebook which might be an option but wanted to check if it was a good deal.

For sale for 600 is:
    - Roland TD-11KV
    - Roland PM03 monitor (not really needed but would be nice to hear the output occasionally)
    - Pearl double bass pedal
    - Stagg stool

My only nagging doubt is that the setup of the TD-17 seems quite an improvement on the TD-11, with the TD-17KVX catching my eye. Items like the TD-50 derived module, larger pads, VH-10 hi hat, KD10 kickpad, Bluetooth all seem to be worth spending the extra money on, given that I would be unlikely to upgrade the kit once I have it.

One option could be to buy the Facebook TD-11KV deal for the double bass pedal, stool and monitor then seeing if I enjoy the kit and selling it on (hopefully at little to no loss) if I want to upgrade to the TD-17KVX.

So a few questions:
    - Is Roland the best kit to choose for value/quality/durability?
    - Is the TD-17 that much of a step above the TD-11 that it’s not worth considering the older model?
    - If the above is true, would it be worth buying the Facebook deal for the double bass pedal, stool and monitor?

"I recently took up some drumming lessons"
    Don't worry about a double pedal.
    Indeed, don't worry about the monitor - just use cans.
    Stagg stool is worth a tenner.

So a few questions:
    - Is Roland the best kit to choose for value/quality/durability?
    "Best?" One of. Most would suggest the best quality and longest lived are Roland and Yamaha. Would suggest you play both before making any final decision.

- Is the TD-17 that much of a step above the TD-11 that it’s not worth considering the older model?
    In the Roland range - possibly. Even just for the sample loading.

- If the above is true, would it be worth buying the Facebook deal for the double bass pedal, stool and monitor?
    Nope, see comment above. ie. don't factor those in. 600 is really a massive bargain
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Why shouldn’t I worry about a double pedal? Is this because I’ll have enough to learn with a single or that I can configure the hi-hat pedal to be a second bass pedal?

I’ve seen a few TD-11KVs with extras sell for 450 to 500 recently on ebay so I’m not sure how good a deal it is.

Comment

I would go for the KVX rather than KV because of the real hi-hat stand/trigger.
        ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

TD17KVX have better cymbal quality CY-12C and better hihat vh10 then KV use lowest crash model cy8 \ cy5..

TD17KVX
          https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ronic-drum-set

TD17KV
          https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ronic-drum-set

Comment

I’ve been given the offer of a TD-17KVX with the following added extras for 940:
            - Gear4Music hi-hat stand
            - Gear4Music double bass pedal
            - Gear4Music drum throne

No monitor like the TD-11KV deal above but as I’m unlikely to be in a position to use it, that’s not a major factor.

So what’s the better deal, TD-11KV for 600 or TD17-KVX for 940?

Comment

I'd get the 17KVX although I'm guessing those extras are pretty poor quality.
              Last edited by molson; 11-15-19, 09:58 PM.
              Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Sound wise the td17 is head and shoulders above the td11
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

+1 on TD17

Comment

Another +1 for the TD-17KVX kit.

Comment

As a complete novice, go for the TD11kv's. You always have the ability to upgrade your module, rack, etc...! And you'll have pads w/mesh heads that are compatible with all other setups in the line of products. I bought a brand new set when they were first introduced in 2013, and I was hooked on the "superNatural" feature...!

Comment

TD-17KVX. You'll be very glad to be playing on a real hi-hat stand, I personally wouldn't consider an E-kit without one. The PDX-12 snare pad is pretty nice, too. The module's Bluetooth feature is nice, and I would look into custom sounds from V Expressions and/or drum-tec. I wouldn't buy it bundled with crap hardware, though. Just pay less for the un-bundled kit and then buy quality hardware on your own (it doesn't have to be the most expensive stuff, but you can certainly do better than "Gear4Music").

Another thing to consider is buying an acoustic kit and fitting it with mesh heads and triggers on your own. This might be cheaper, and you would have authentic drum sizes and spatial relationships - of course, for some people the compactness of an E-kit is part of the point. If you decided to go this route, you would of course need a standalone module. You could even do the TD-17, if you wanted to (again, look at drum-tec for customised modules).

Comment

There's a little saying regarding eDrums - buy your second kit first. From experience - it most certainly is true. . . .

Comment

Thanks everyone for their input, it is appreciated.

Space and noise are both limitations so an acoustic set is out of the equation unfortunately.

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                            There's a little saying regarding eDrums - buy your second kit first. From experience - it most certainly is true. . . .
                            That’s my thinking too. I could get an entry level kit (1DMK or 11) but would likely then regret not getting the better specced kit within a few months. The real hi-hat and Bluetooth functionality are both big draws.

I would prefer better accessories to be bundled with the offer I have but looking at previous completed listings on ebay, it seems a favourable price for a TD-17KVX.

The only thing putting me off is the potential Black Friday deals in a week’s time - do I risk the offer being snapped up by someone else or would I get a better deal on a new kit with Black Friday?

Comment

I cannot speak to the other model kits as I just got back into drumming after many years of being dormant. This would be my first V-drum Kit and I wanted something for the house that had great sound and flexibility and that would have minimal disturbance to others in and around my house. This set's primary use was going to be as a Hobby.

The Roland TD-17KVX was the perfect kit selection for my intended goal and enjoyment. I could not be happier with this Kit. I have been waiting for some kind of entry level pro cost-effective set for several years now and at this price point target by Roland I almost feel as I stole them.

If these fall within your price budget get them, You will not be disappointed!

Comment

Working...
                              X