Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Advice for first electronic drums and extensions (TD-17/25, 1500~2000€)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for first electronic drums and extensions (TD-17/25, 1500~2000€)

Hello everyone

I am a pianist and a self-educated drummer (between novice and intermediate). I have an old acoustic Sonor drum kit, but since I live in an apartment (5 years), I have not been able to practice, except on my keyboard using my fingers with the Korg drum kits... In short, I want to invest in a quality electronic drum, silent, and really durable in time (at least 10 years). At first I didn't want to put more than 1000 €, but I realized that I had to exceed this budget to have good quality. My budget is now around 1500~2000 €.

The minimum kit for me would be: 1 Kick, 1 snare, 3 toms, 1 crash, 1 crash/ride with bell
    And ideally, in addition: 1 crash, 1 splash, 1 china, 1 double pedal

But I don't know if some elements can be grouped together.
    • 1. For example, is it possible to put a chinese cymbal sound when "crashing" the ride?
    • 2. Would it be better to buy a drum pad of 3 or 6 channels to put the sounds of splash, cowbell and others? If so, is it be possible to link it to the drum module, or will I need a computer next to it?

For the kits, I have selected the TD-17 (KL, KV and KVX) and the TD-25 K.
    For the additions, according to the needs of the kits, I have selected:

-Ride: CY-13R
    -Splash / China: CY-8
    -Support for each cymbal: MDY-STD
    -Hi-hat stand: Millenium HH-902 or RDH-120
    -Pedal: RDH-100
    -OR double-pedal: Tama Iron Cobra HP200PTW or DW 7002PT
    -Multipad:?
    • 3. Do you have any hardware recommendations?
    • 4. Is it better to buy the Roland stands and pedals, more expensive, but to have a quieter kit?
    • 5. If I don't buy a Roland pedal, do you advise me to buy the KD-7 beater to avoid damaging the kick?

With the lowest prices I could find (I live in France, so only from European websites), I get these prices:
    -TD-17 KL + pedal, ride = 1181 €
    -TD-17 KL + double-pedal, ride, splash = 1409 €
    -TD-17 KV + pedal, ride = 1608 €
    -TD-17 KV + double-pedal, ride, splash = 1836 €
    -TD-17 KVX + pedal, hi-hat stand = 1843 €
    -TD-17 KVX + double-pedal, hi-hat stand, splash = 2071 €
    -TD-25 K + pedal, hi-hat stand = 1943 €
    -TD-25 K + double-pedal, hi-hat stand, splash = 2171 €

I don't know what would be the most logical choice, and especially what elements would be compatible with the module (I am totally ignorant about the wiring of drums and electronic pads and their possibilities).

I hope you can inform me and help me to choose!
    Thanks

Strewth.

Right - WHY have you chosen those (very specific) setups?

What have you actually played?

What's the intended use for the kit?
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I have chosen those kits and references because of all the reviews I read during my searches, the possibilities of plays, the pleaser of playing, to learn everyday and practice as much as I can in my apartment (I remain foremost pianist, it is unlikely that the kit will be used on stage), and I hope for many years. (For the stands and pedals, I didn't search that much but I trusted the reviews I read). I want to play over the music I like, most of the time Pop/Rock, less often Electro Pop and Jazz (which I also really want to learn), and record drums lines for my compositions or for friends requests.

I'm sorry if I scared you, and if my questions are silly..!

Comment

Hi, we are about at 2 month of winter namm, if you can wait a bit to see what can happens, td25 could be highly get replaced with a newer one, there is missing newer mid module on their range.
        ​​​​​​
        Last edited by Chris K; 11-06-19, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I have had a new TD17 KVX for the last few months, I bought both the Roland HiHat and Kick Pedal Noise eater versions (although still far from silent!). I love it to bits, it fits all my needs perfectly!

I would get the KVX version if I was you, it has a few extras on the module, and the extra crash and a real Hi Hat stand really make a difference to me.
          Last edited by Whagi; 11-06-19, 06:41 AM.
          Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB - Universal Audio Arrow audio interface via Thunderbolt 3 - Superior Drummer 3 - Komplete Ultimate 12 - Logic Pro X.

Comment

we are about at 2 month of winter namm
            Unfortunately, I have to order this month. But out of curiosity, in your opinion, in which price range would be the new module/kits ?

I would get the KVX version if I was you
            I really hesitate between the KVX version, and the KV version with extra ride and splash...

I bought both the Roland HiHat and Kick Pedal Noise eater versions (although still far from silent!)
            Is there a real noise difference in comparison with cheaper elements, such as the Millenium HH-902 stand, and a Tama Iron Cobra pedal? (I forgot to mention that the drums kit will be installed on a completely carpeted floor).

-I searched for some multipads at low price, and found the KAT KTMP1 and the Alesis SamplePad. Will one of them be worth to add some extra sounds?
            -Will a CY-5 be sufficient for a splash cymbal, or will a CY-8 be more appropriate?
            -Concerning the module, is it possible to assign different sound types on one pad/cymbal according to the velocity (in my example, assign a china sound on a ride at high velocity)? I really don't know how much it is customizable.

Really sorry for my ignorance and amateurism..

Comment

Originally posted by deaudouce View Post
              Unfortunately, I have to order this month. But out of curiosity, in your opinion, in which price range would be the new module/kits ?

(
              same price as td25 range usually price still on the same range.

I would get TD17 not td25, and TD17KVX have better cymbal quality CY-12C and better hihat vh10 then KV use lowest crash model cy8 \ cy5..

TD17KVX
              https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ronic-drum-set

TD17KV
              https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ronic-drum-set
              Last edited by Chris K; 11-06-19, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Is there a real noise difference in comparison with cheaper elements, such as the Millenium HH-902 stand, and a Tama Iron Cobra pedal? (I forgot to mention that the drums kit will be installed on a completely carpeted floor).
                I use the noise eaters, and on a ROLAND drum mat, and that all on top of carpet and still a bit of noise. Nothings silent

Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB - Universal Audio Arrow audio interface via Thunderbolt 3 - Superior Drummer 3 - Komplete Ultimate 12 - Logic Pro X.

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

Even if it was more expensive than I would have liked, I bought the TD-17 KVX, the RDH-100 Pedal, the RDH-120 hi-hat stand, plus an extra CY-8 cymbal and MDY-STD mount (1981 €).

I hope that everything will be fine!

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

Even if it was more expensive than I would have liked, I bought the TD-17 KVX, the RDH-100 Pedal, the RDH-120 hi-hat stand, plus an extra CY-8 cymbal and MDY-STD mount (1981 €).

I hope that everything will be fine!
                    Very good choice and I'm sure you will love this kit.
                    I have been playing on TD-17KVX for the past 10 months and I can't get enough of it. What I love about it the most is the ability to customise the sounds and import sound samples. Possibilities are endless with this module and the kit itself is really fun to play.

Comment

I received the kit, and I'm impressed by the play feels! The ability to dissociate head and rim sounds for each pad was also what I was looking for. But I don't know if it's possible to have three separate sounds on the snare (head, rim, head+rim). I get either head and rim (with the "Xstick" option), either head and head+rim (without "Xstick"), but never all three at the same time. Is it possible or did I misunderstand the manual?

And unfortunately, after a few hours of play, my neighbor from above violently hit his floor to make me understand to stop. I am a tenant, and I knew that this building was badly insulated, but not that bad (I'm on the ground floor). I think that the loudest sounds are the kick drum, then the cymbals. Do you have any tips limit their noise through the air? For now I stretched duvets in front and above the kit to reduce the room's reverb... Can I also put a small towel on the kick's mesh head to limit the impact sound without the risk of damaging the head?

Thanks!

Comment

This is just how the snare works on TD-17. You must select X-stick to play cross stick, otherwise the module will play rimshot sound.
                        As for reducing the noise, placing a towel will not damage the head of the kick pad. It will most likely reduce its sensitivity though.
                        I also live in an apartment. Fortunately, never heard my upstairs neighbour complaining.
                        Good luck!

Comment

I don't really think throwing a towel on the head will help with noise. It's not exactly the mesh head that's annoying your neighbor, it's the stomping you do on the pedal, being transferred to the floor - unless the noise isolation in your apartment is really that bad and the cymbal hits are the culprit. I imagined the RDH pedal would help in this regard but maybe not? I have the actual noise-eater platforms from roland which are a bit taller (and more wobbly) and they do a decent job, but maybe you'll have to already start considering more elaborate solutions (tennis ball platform or a sylomer alternative).

Comment

8thnotepete Thank you for the explanation!

Excessium I already have the RDH hi-hat and bass pedals, and the kit is mounted on a carpet, on a carpetted floor, on a concrete floor, on the ground floor. So I think the problem does not come from the vibrations, but from the pad and cymbal sounds through the air. (Yes the noise isolation is really bad here, we hear our neighbors if they speak a little loudly, or the sound of the paws of their dog on their ground, but we can't move for the moment). The towel on the bass mesh head muffles the sound a bit, I think it was really the loudest sound. I think I will continue to practise like this, waiting for another solution or if the neighbors complain again...

Comment

Congrats for your new kit!!

The kick pad produces a lot of noise (I had the KD-9 which is similar) and also had trouble with neighbours. What I ended up doing is put a sponge on the pad's head. First I pilled off the green hard layer (goes off easily by hand) and put the yellow part on the head fastened by a rubber band. The impact noise was greatly reduced, playability was still ok and did the trick for me :-)

The sensitivty on the module should also be set accordingly. Hope it works for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X