Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Vh-10 with octapad vs td-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vh-10 with octapad vs td-17

Hi there,

I’m new enough to the forum so sorry if this is a stupid question. Will a vh-10 work the same with an octapad and a Td-17? I currently have an octapad and want a small practice kit. The vh-10 doesn’t feel amazing and I’m wondering is it the calibration or the fact that I’m using an octapad? Would it be better with a drum module? Thanks

You are asking a very good question. Hi hat implementation is a function of both parts - the pedal and the module. (In the case of a moveable hihat cymbal like the VH-13 or ATV, the stand is equally important.) Most pedals offer relatively smooth resistance transitions, and your VH10 will do a good job of that. You do have an old "module", and the hi hat implementation within the Octapad is not going to be as good as the state of the art TD-17. Thirdly, you also need to work with the hihat settings within the module to dial it in, so to speak to optimize it to taste.
    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
        You do have an old "module", and the hi hat implementation within the Octapad is not going to be as good as the state of the art TD-17
        Can you elaborate on this? Not specifically regarding these two brains but I have been trying to get good info on hi hat differences between modules and I can't find anything with any real depth into how some modules interpret hi hat signals better than others, or even if they do (beyond just "more fine tuning").

Specifically the TD11 and VH10 that I have isn't great in situations like when you hit the hi hat just as you open it, to get a "pshht" sound (for want of a better description). Instead, it just registers closed and that's what you get. I read about "transmuting" in vague terms in forum posts but never in official hardware literature

I have no idea if this is just a shortcoming of electronic hi hats or if another module would model this better. Would the TD-17 do a better job? The mimic? I have no idea.
        Roland TD-50 Digital Pack, Mapex V shells + UFO eBridge triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by unsaltedmd5 View Post

Can you elaborate on this? Not specifically regarding these two brains but I have been trying to get good info on hi hat differences between modules and I can't find anything with any real depth into how some modules interpret hi hat signals better than others, or even if they do (beyond just "more fine tuning").

Specifically the TD11 and VH10 that I have isn't great in situations like when you hit the hi hat just as you open it, to get a "pshht" sound (for want of a better description). Instead, it just registers closed and that's what you get. I read about "transmuting" in vague terms in forum posts but never in official hardware literature

I have no idea if this is just a shortcoming of electronic hi hats or if another module would model this better. Would the TD-17 do a better job? The mimic? I have no idea.
          This is a really great question, and I hope it will elicit some answers.

Like you, I’ve read plenty about HH transmuting, but that’s always been in the context of VSTs. I’m eager to learn about module differences as regards this functionality.

I’ve owned the TD17 and TD11, and my sense is that neither offers transmuting; the hi-hat behavior is more like AD2 than SD3. And because HH performance is so damn important and, to me, dissatisfying in the VST space (transmuting or no), I’d love to know if their are some modules that stand above the rest in terms of internal HH implementation.
          Meet The Stewards!
          https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
          https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

Working...
          X