Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

ATV EXS-5 & Roland TD-17 & SD3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was considering getting drum-tec splitters but then I found these other ones on ebay. They were described as "chokeable" so I decided to give them a go and it worked.
    In my setup I don't really need to hit tom3 and CY-8 (china) on the rim of tom3 at the same time (this would result in sound from only one of pads). I can hit tom 3 with any other cymbal or pad so no a problem to me. Splitters are not some magical way to expand the number of inputs on the module. It's physically impossible to split trigger input into two fully functional inputs. There always must be a compromise.
    Anyways, check this website mpfisher.com for more info on splitters I'm using. The guy is quite helpful if you have any questions.

Comment

Thanks to everyones advice in the thread i have ended up with the below. Very happy so far, just the cable tidy up left to do.

IMG_20200104_121036.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 8thnotepete View Post
        I was considering getting drum-tec splitters but then I found these other ones on ebay. They were described as "chokeable" so I decided to give them a go and it worked.
        In my setup I don't really need to hit tom3 and CY-8 (china) on the rim of tom3 at the same time (this would result in sound from only one of pads). I can hit tom 3 with any other cymbal or pad so no a problem to me. Splitters are not some magical way to expand the number of inputs on the module. It's physically impossible to split trigger input into two fully functional inputs. There always must be a compromise.
        Anyways, check this website mpfisher.com for more info on splitters I'm using. The guy is quite helpful if you have any questions.
        any chance of a demo video showing that it's still chokeable? i thought this functionality was lost when using splitters?
        purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
          FlashBlack,

If you are considering the 2Box DrumIt Three (and indeed, this seems a good choice given your sound quality and I/O requirements), take a look at the 2Box DrumIt Five MkII. DrumIt Five MkII is the most current module from 2Box. It's essentially a DrumIt Three with a few more inputs and outputs, better physical controls on the front panel (more buttons and knobs that make editing easier), and (most importantly) an externally accessible SD card slot. I suspect the DrumIt Five MkII doesn't cost much more than the DrumIt 3, given the two modules are almost identical.

DrumIt Five MkII is the only 2Box module that comes from the factory with an externally accessible SD card slot. This makes it easy to move SD cards to a computer for importing VST quality multi-samples, like SD3. There are DIY card slot mods for previous 2Box modules (such as DrumIt Three), but you lose your warranty and risk damaging the module when doing DIY mods. Avoid the hassle and keep your warranty by choosing DrumIt Five MkII.

Important: There was a DrumIt Five MkII kit that featured the original DrumIt Five module. This is not the module I'm talking about. The original module does not have an externally accessible SD card slot. The newest 2Box module, confusingly named DrumIt Five MkII, is the module that features the SD card slot. If you go the 2Box route, make sure the seller / vendor understands what you're looking for!
          where have you see the drumit 5 mk2 for sale?
          purchased Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

I know the OP finally decided on a kit, but I just wanted to say that I saw a couple of comments that claimed the TD-17 was only expandable with the addition of one extra cymbal - it actually comes with both a Crash 2 and Aux input (in addition to the cable snake input).

Comment

i think they meant when referring to the TD-17KVX that because the KVX version comes with an extra crash cymbal (that the lower 2 versions do not) that you only have 1 input left, the aux one.

Comment

Anyone tried recording samples from SD3 or AD and then importing them into the TD17? challenging to find decent free drum samples on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by timj View Post
                  Anyone tried recording samples from SD3 or AD and then importing them into the TD17? challenging to find decent free drum samples on the web.
                  That can be done, but it would not result in the sound within the TD-17 representing the sound you hear in SD3 because you can only import one-shot samples into the TD-17. If you don't know what this means...

SD3 uses multiple (literally dozens or hundreds) of samples to produce the sound of each drum or cymbal. If you were to record a hit from SD3, you would be recording just one of those and importing that into the TD-17. So, all the realism and magic of SD3 would be lost in the translation into the TD-17. You'd also have a heck of a time choosing which sample of the many for that drum to record (randomly hitting until you get the one you want).

Having said that, this is still very useful in improving the realism of the TD-17 and is the approach that Drum-Tec takes in generating their Live Sound Edition kits, so it's worth "a shot." (one shot, that is.)
                  ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                  X