Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Cheap way for ONLY MIDI Hi-Hat with continous (CC) messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap way for ONLY MIDI Hi-Hat with continous (CC) messages

Hello.

For somebody who doesn't own any e drum hardware yet, what would be a cheap way - or the cheapest way - to get only a Hi-Hat E-Drum Pads MIDI signal, including the CC messages for smooth closing and opening, into the computer?

Audio Interface with MIDI input is available, as well as USB ports of course.

The Hi Hat does not have to open and close physically.

My local store recommended me...

Roland CY-5 Hi-Hat Pad

Roland FD-9 Hi-Hat Controller Pedal

Roland TD-17 Drum Module

...and claimed this would be the cheapest option.

Isn't there a way to bypass the expensive sound generator and just convert the Pedal and Hi-Hat signals into MIDI?

Or what about other manufactorers?

For me it is important just to get the Hi Hat MIDI note, together with the whole range 0 - 127 of CC messages controlled by a pedal. The other e drum parts are currently not necessary for this particular purpose.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

Roland CY-5 and FD-9 is a good recommendation - although I hope you factored in some sort of mounting hardware. A VH-10 and hi-hat stand might be more practical if you are starting with nothing although the separation of the foot sensor is advantageous in other ways.

Have a look at eDrumin and Megadrum for strict MIDI to USB modules.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Thank you very much for the helpful information. eDrumin looks like what I am looking for. I posted my use case in their forum to clarify.

Would you also consider the Roland TMC-6 a suitable MIDI converter which would give me the CC MIDI data of the Hi-Hat controller?

Comment

I wouldn't get the Roland TMC-6. Yes it has HH-Ctrl input but there's no USB over MIDI and it's really old - discontinued.

I'd say just the setup experience alone is worth it, with the 2019 eDrumin. Vastly superior than what was available in 2001.
        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
        Community Drum Module Document
        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

No USB wouldn't be a big problem, since my audio interface has a MIDI input. But you are right. The eDrumin device seems more up to date and versatile. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Do you happen to know whether the Roland FD Pedal can be connected to a MIDI Master Keyboards Pedal input and from there being converted into CC messages? Or is the electrical output of the Roland FD somehow different from a normal expression pedal?

Comment

I'm using a DIY low-volume cymbal with my own sensoring, but I'd say any cymbal pad works, basically. Underneath, I got a Goedrum GHC controller. So it's all mounted on a normal HH stand.
              All signals (dual-zone pad + controller resistor value) go to a ddrum DDTi that I'm only using for this purpose (all other signal go to my regular module). I can recommend this solution when you're, for instance, using Addictive Drums on a laptop. I'm pretty happy with that setup. I'm pretty sure you can have such a thing for ~250$/€ in total, and the conjunction of GHC controller and DDTi is quite reliable. Using it for regular band rehearsals and recordings here.
              gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
              band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

Working...
              X