Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

I’m shocked at prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m shocked at prices

I’ve been in manufacturing my whole life and to me, a cymbal like a cy12 is nothing more than a molded piece of rubber with a piezo mic in it. $229???? That’s just crazy.

Same as a 1000 iPhone. OR a 300 pair of Beats.....

Pay for the design and build quality (OK), then a big markup depending on "desirability" / "trend" / "cultism" - and what the market will stand
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

very poor example IMO. iphones or android devices have a HUGE amount of tech in them. further, they're subsidized by the carriers - meaning they're actually more expensive and you don't actually pay for all the value you get up front.

i agree with your general sentiment, but smart phones - terrible example for comparison sake.
      TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Plastic & rubber, both petroleum products, both taking significant design & production costs to mold, create & assemble... not even mentioning the PCB and remaining parts... $2XX seems fairly reasonable to me.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I really don't think the price seems that out wack. Roland's build quality and consistency is one of the best in the industry. There are cheaper alternatives but you get what you pay for.
          Last edited by Chance27; 10-02-19, 11:13 AM.
          ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

$450 for my ATV 18" Ride and worth every penny.
            Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

It all seems reasonable to me except the $750 for the VH13.

Comment

Have you seen the price of acoustic cymbals? Then the price for ones that sound good?

One thing I've noticed is that no module intends to replicate the sound of bad cymbals, no matter how cheap the trigger is. A CY-5 can be Paiste Signature crash if you want it too.
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

I’d love to have a Field 20” ride but $699 is very very difficult to justify.
                  Last edited by Mylo; 10-02-19, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Cheap or expensive e-cymbals sound the same given they don't make the sound (except for the stick hitting the rubber), but they do play different, feel different and hold up different. As any other pad. The price is a matter of market, not actual value, but it does reflect the quality. Otherwise we'd all be using the Medeli stuff and Roland would go bust...
                    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
                    •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
                    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

While I do agree that some manufacturers are a little pricey with their pads and cymbals, I fully believe in paying for quality vs the cheapest thing that’ll get the job done.

For me personally, the biggest price differences in drumming in general that I see is in pedals... Where you can buy a pedal for less than a $100 or a pedal for well over $1000 or more. And I’ve played top end pedals that feel like sh!t while budget pedals can feel fantastic...

But as said already, you get what you pay for ultimately.
                      Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Working...
                      X