Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Where are we at today with the best non-laptop e-drum system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TangTheHump
    replied
    Peter Warren wrote:
    The 14x5 black beauty snare is one of the best jazz / funk snares I have ever used. There is variation in the library and it's probably best if you spend time working with it to see what is possible. Another point is that the Mimic sounds fantastic out of the box. You can use the stereo outputs if you want and just play. The aD5 has very dry samples but sounds good too.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Where I live, Mimic Pro is only available as a special order item with a "no return accepted" caveat. Thus, it's not possible to test the module before buying. I'm sure there is lots more sonic variation than in online demos, but online demos are all I have access to. And indeed, in the many programming examples I've heard (Chris K, V-Expressions, Drum-tec, and others), though the sounds seem indeed flexible, it's easy to hear a continuous sonic character. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but yeah, my ears can now pick out specific SSD5 samples.
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-27-19, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TangTheHump
    replied
    thebaronofsd wrote:
    Tight, but... fair point let me back up. I meant specifically attacks, sustain, how it's mic'd, etc. Shaping the sound you liked to begin to be exactly what you want rather than running it through say a phaser or other synth effect nor shell thickness, head type, etc.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, okay, Mimic certainly has plenty of ability to shape and mix its sounds. In this regard, it is perhaps the most advanced and most flexible drum module currently available. And in terms of sonic quality and acoustic believability, Mimic establishes a new standard that leaves mainstream e-drum manufacturers (Roland, Yamaha, et al) with much catching up to do. For high-end, professional, acoustically believable sounds in a drum module, Mimic Pro is an obvious choice.

Other manufacturers are not playing in the same ballpark as Mimic Pro, yet. I suppose, to a lesser degree, 2Box is still a candidate, but the 2Box architecture and technology is starting to show its age. I do like some of the sounds I've heard from the ATV aD5, but the aD5 seemingly isn't designed with professional users and professional flexibility in mind. Also, the aD5 is positioned for a different price bracket than Mimic Pro and 2Box, so to some degree the comparisons are unfair.

Side note to anyone. The 2Box DrumIt Five MkII module is now available! This looks very interesting. Has anyone used it? Pros? Cons? One huge benefit I noticed is this newest 2Box module finally has an externally accessible SD card slot, so you can swap cards without having to do the card slot mod.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Note sure about best sample and why you refers DTX900?. DTX900 are all machine gunning and are linear velocity which ruin all sound experience. It sound 90's at most. Also the hi-hat on Yamaha are limited to 4-5 range, all others brand are continuous hihat range, works better. 8MS latency module, individual Yamaha triggers pad have the slowest latency on the market.
    Correct.
    The updated expansion sounds from Sonic Reality for the Dtx900 have a maximum 8 samples for the snare. The stock sounds are closer to 3 .

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

"Which modules have the best samples with realistic articulations"

So let's say a Yamaha DTX900 ....
    Note sure about best sample and why you refers DTX900?. DTX900 are all machine gunning and are linear velocity which ruin all sound experience. It sound 90's at most. Also the hi-hat on Yamaha are limited to 4-5 range, all others brand are continuous hihat range, works better. 8MS latency module, individual Yamaha triggers pad have the slowest latency on the market.
    Last edited by Chris K; 09-26-19, 01:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• electrodrummer
    replied
    Originally posted by tivi View Post

Yamaha make good electronic pads, so does Roland. I still use my PD100/PD120 with Pearl Mimic Pro. I also have the old yamaha BP80 dual trigger pad
    BP80 hen's teeth

Leave a comment:

• electrodrummer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

sorry then.
    probably it was just unexpected for this particular topic (check the topic subject)
    "Which modules have the best samples with realistic articulations"

So let's say a Yamaha DTX900 ....

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied

That video was to demonstrate articulation of old gear. ("I think even old gear can articulate great."). This only comes from good physical hardware and electronics. I was showing that even old hardware can provide good articulation - power, subtlety etc, With rubbish hardware you aren't gonna get any sound source to articulate well.

I wasn't doing module sounds vs software sounds - This was a product agnostic comment.
    Yamaha make good electronic pads, so does Roland. I still use my PD100/PD120 with Pearl Mimic Pro. I also have the old yamaha BP80 dual trigger pad

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    He uses his DTXtreme3 with software, sound very good.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Boo
    replied

That video was to demonstrate articulation of old gear. ("I think even old gear can articulate great."). This only comes from good physical hardware and electronics. I was showing that even old hardware can provide good articulation - power, subtlety etc, With rubbish hardware you aren't gonna get any sound source to articulate well.

I wasn't doing module sounds vs software sounds - This was a product agnostic comment.
    sorry then.
    probably it was just unexpected for this particular topic (check the topic subject)

Leave a comment:

• electrodrummer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

exactly

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied

The guy in this video he uses yamaha pads with laptop and software I think.
    In the conversation: "So I'm using the virtual drums on logic X so pretty simple stuff. I go MIDI from my yamaha to my audio interface"

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Boo
    replied

exactly

Leave a comment:

• tivi
    replied
    No such thing as "best". Best to most people means "what I bought"

Unfortunately this a valid judgement. What's got good sounds and articulation to one man is rubbish to another,

You might wanna check out Mimic, ATV, or Yamaha DTXs which will allow your own samples.

I think even old gear can articulate great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAn_u5fmA1Y

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    Pearl Mimic Pro hands up.

Leave a comment:

• molson
    replied
    Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

I agree here. I have both the aD5 and the Mimic. From the description of your needs/desires, the ATV is probably right for you. The sounds are excellent. You will spend time playing, not tweaking, and the cymbals some of the best I've ever played.

$799 is also a very good price and won't set you back much if you decide to sell it.
    Ditto - I have both as well. If not for the Mimic, the aD5 would be my main module. I frequently go back to it and still love it. $799 is a good price and frankly where it should have been from the start.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X