Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

My TD-12 sounds terrible compared to TD-25, am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My TD-12 sounds terrible compared to TD-25, am I doing something wrong?

I purchased a TD25K drum kit and a TD12 module with the idea of swapping out the TD25 module for the TD12, so that I can use the four audio outputs on the TD12 straight into my Tascam Model 24 mixing desk/recorder and have more control when mixing a final track (with no PC involved).

I had a little play on the TD25 module and it sounded amazing, like playing on a real kit, feel-wise and sample-wise. I plugged in the TD12 module and was very disappointed - in comparison, the triggers were too sensitive, and the samples too immediate and intense, even after a bit of playing around with the settings, very little subtlety. The kit choices were dire, I mean there were 4 Rap core kits and virtually no rock kits or natural sounding kits. All the samples seemed to be a lot cheaper and less convincing.

Is there really a big gulf in the technology of the modules or am I doing something wrong here?

The TD12 came with a Vexpressions pack installed also so I don't think stock sounds are a factor.

Cheers

The TD25 is based on the TD30 so it should sound alot better. Your best result for recording would be to trigger a VST sample library and computer.
    You could use both modules and separate the kick from the TD12. After recording,you could use the TD12 kick track to trigger the TD25 and record that on a separate track.

Comment

Also make sure your TD-12 is updated to 1.11,most of them I see still have 1.00 on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Havana View Post
        I had a little play on the TD25 module and it sounded amazing, like playing on a real kit, feel-wise and sample-wise.
        Feel is subjective but the TD25 sounds are modelled, not sampled. If you ever get the chance to play an e-kit that IS triggering hi-res samples you may end up with a different view on the 'realism' of modelled sounds.

in comparison, the triggers were too sensitive, and the samples too immediate and intense, even after a bit of playing around with the settings, very little subtlety...

...Is there really a big gulf in the technology of the modules or am I doing something wrong here?
        Well, you are dealing with two different generations of the same product so there will obviously be some evolution with the newer one. The pad response however, is entirely down to you. If you plugged the TD25 pad set straight into the TD12 without adjusting to the correct trigger types, and then editing parameters to your own preferences, then of course it's not going to respond as well as the factory preset for the correct pads. That's trial and error. No vdrums kit - not a single one of them, ever - comes pre-set for the player, you ALWAYS need to adjust the trigger parameters to suit your playing style, your playing environment, your setup and your expectations and preferences.

The TD12 came with a Vexpressions pack installed also so I don't think stock sounds are a factor.
        I wouldn't be so sure... VExpressions kits mainly are designed to make V-drums modules more usable - or 'better' - for people coming from acoustic drums. From the ones I've played there is generally more attack and compression ("immediate and intense"?) as you'd be used to in the flesh on a good acoustic kit. Arguably they take the sounds _further away_ from the synthetic user-friendly softness of the factory presets, so if you're comparing a V-Ex'd TD12 to a factory TD25, then yes - there will be a significant difference. If you got the module 2nd hand with V-Ex settings installed, there's also no telling that it was the original load of the V-Ex pack. V-Ex are just different settings - if someone has further edited them they are just as likely to have screwed them up.
        Last edited by flurbs; 09-25-19, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X