Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

SPD30 vs SPD-SX i cant decide! Can you help guide me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD30 vs SPD-SX i cant decide! Can you help guide me?

Selling my TD12 Vdrum kit for the STUDIO (i dont play live) and I want to have a tiny ekit for near my DAW. Something that i can quickly play ideas down. I am NOT a technical drummer at all.

I saw a bloke using a 3SPD0 on the AXS TV Lindsey Buckingham show and it was a light bulb moment.

I need a unit that will allow me to use a FD9 kick and FD8 Hat (open/close/mid) and add an external cheap Hi Hat (CY5) Trigger. MAYBE expand to a Snare trigger.

My concerns are on the SPDSX the controls are in the front. If i use this as a main kit..it puts the controls in the line of fire (i suppose).

I have never played either so i am leaning on your suggestions.

I like the sampling ability of the SX but its not something i'd ever use.

So, imagine it as your main kit with a few external triggers. Which one would you go for and why?

Is the SX where the external triggers fall short (fewer)?

I have done some research but having a hard time sorting out what the main differences are between the two beyond sampling. Again, the location of the controls on the SX are a tad concerning....should they be?

EDIT: Left off that i will mainly be relying on my Steven Slate SSD5 VSTi library for sounds.
    Last edited by Denicio; 09-11-19, 02:53 PM.

for standalone mini kit, spd-30 or dtx-multi12 work best. but roland hihat controller doesnt work perfectly on dtx-multi12

Comment

Tivi,

Thanks for the reply. I already own the FD-8 so it makes sense to stay in the Roland universe.

So are you implying that the SPDSX is not even a consideration for my needs?

Comment

SPD-SX: no hihat support, no layering A and B with velocity switch point. SPD-SX, not made for mini kit drums application or midi for drums.
        Last edited by Chris K; 09-11-19, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Well, dang...this may be the fastest thread beginning to end on this forum. These two replies tell me what i need to know.

Looks like its the SPD30 for me.

Thanks ya'll

YOU ROCK!

Comment

Chris, You mention Midi Kit.

I left of the MOST important thing i will be using it for. My Steven Slate SSD5 VSTi. So i gotta have good Midi Mojo!

Comment

There is Alesis Multipad can do for mini kit https://www.strikemultipad.com/, only problem 4-5 sec loading on kit if issue for you, but it has 7GB sound inside 30GB storage, 4 stereo triggers. but I don't know how much the hihat works great or not. But loading look like no need for My Steven Slate SSD5 VSTi, if you are using only as controller, get Roland SPD-30 for FD8, but Yamaha is more advanced on midi but Tivi said Roland hihat don't works great with Yamaha, get SPD30.
              Last edited by Chris K; 09-11-19, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Chris,
                I've had iffy warranty repair experience with Alesis, so its a brand i try to avoid.

It seems to me that i really cant go wrong with the SPD30. I was just seeing if there was something about the SX that i was missing. You folks were kind enough to quickly let me know.

Now i am on the hunt for a reasonably priced SPD30

Comment

Quick follow up question

Are there Versions or Software revisions i need to be on the lookout for with the SPD30?

Or is that an easy update to do with a USB drive?

Just dont want to buy and older version that cant be upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by Denicio View Post
                    Quick follow up question

Are there Versions or Software revisions i need to be on the lookout for with the SPD30?

Or is that an easy update to do with a USB drive?

Just dont want to buy and older version that cant be upgraded.
                    update are USB for users kits and firmware system.

Comment

Tivi,

Thanks for the reply. I already own the FD-8 so it makes sense to stay in the Roland universe.

So are you implying that the SPDSX is not even a consideration for my needs?
                      This is confusing. You want to stay Roland as you have the FD8 - you do know the SPDsx has no hat control? So the FD8 is pointless. it's FD8 OR SPDsx - not both

The FD-8 dies all the time (Google it). Dump the FD-8 - they're worth next to nothing anyway - don't lock yourself into an expensive purchase over this item.

The Multi12 is a very valid suggestion - being an excellent mini kit with hat control and excellent MIDI layering and control. It's also hundreds less than the Roly options, leaving money over for hat control pedals, pads, carry case, kick etc.
                      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

This is confusing. You want to stay Roland as you have the FD8 - you do know the SPDsx has no hat control? So the FD8 is pointless. it's FD8 OR SPDsx - not both

The FD-8 dies all the time (Google it). Dump the FD-8 - they're worth next to nothing anyway - don't lock yourself into an expensive purchase over this item.

The Multi12 is a very valid suggestion - being an excellent mini kit with hat control and excellent MIDI layering and control. It's also hundreds less than the Roly options, leaving money over for hat control pedals, pads, carry case, kick etc.
                        Okay, you have my attention.

What HH Pedals and Kick pedal would you suggest for the M12?

Comment

Okay, you have my attention.

What HH Pedals and Kick pedal would you suggest for the M12?
                          Hat - Yamaha HH65 for a just a controller. RHH135 for the full pad/controller combo, (generally recommend sticking with same manufacturer for all hat controllers)

Kick - anything you like from anyone - all kicks are just $1 piezos - so it depends if you want something beaterless (just a pedal) or a kick pad (if you want to use an acoustic kick pedal). I've got beaterless from Yamaha and Alternate Mode, or pads from Roland, Yamaha, UP, etc. All work. The Yamaha ones are nice as they have an extra trigger input and a variable output controller on the pad itself.

etc
                          Last edited by electrodrummer; 09-11-19, 04:01 PM.
                          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I agree withelectrodrummer, Multi12 is far better controller and for midi, also you have 12 surface pad instead of 8 on spd30.

Comment

What about feel? M12 vs 30?

Many reviews of drummers i have seen prefer the Roland to the Yammy. I have no preference. Again, selling my TD12 and reinventing how drums are done at my place.

I also read somewhere that the Yammy had problems with the headphone jacks?

I freely confess with the SX out of the way..the Yammy is quite appealing. But i dont want to feel like i am hitting rubber coated plywood either (aka 1980's simmons)

Comment

Working...
                              X