Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

TD-50 strengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-50 strengths

I don't get a chance to come around very often, but once again I have played around with both my TD-50 and the Mimic Pro and want to spout off. I got Vex packs for both, so I figured I now have pretty much optimal set ups.

I had been playing the TD-50 on my older pads, well other than the digital pads, 'cause they don't work with the MP. But I decided to hook the TD back up to my KV kit to give it a true whirl.

One strength that jumps out right away is that fact that the TD is so much easier to edit. Hit a pad, and your looking at its parameters. Working on something specific, like muffling, and you can easily jump from one pad to the next and stay on that parameter.

Another thing that jumps out is that I can muffle the toms easily on the TD, whereas on the MP it seems like they are always more boomie than I want. I love toms, so that really was getting to me.

Now I have to admit that I had been struggling with the ringy/boominess of the ride, and tonight I found that I can muffle the ride. My bad. But that helped a lot.

Lastly, playing along to songs on the TD is a lot of fun. It's much easier to get the drums mixed in they way I want.

Now I know I have posted in the past only to discover that my feelings have changed. For example, when I first got the TD-50 KV, I was madly in love for months. I went nuts and actually ended up straining my arms a bit. Later on, I started to dwell on some of the aspects that bothered me.

So I don't know what is store for me in the future, but I have to say I am really enjoying the TD-50 right now, and especially like how easy it is to edit the different pad parameters, instruments, etc.

And I know that some of you thought i was nuts when I said I was getting a center hot spot on the ATV snare I was using with the MP, but even after cranking the tension up, I still get extra loud hits in the center from time to time. The Roland digital snare is a nice change. I can dig into it and get great sounds and enjoy the feel.

And I gotta say I do like the Vex pack I got for it.

My last thought for those of you who feel the TD just doesn't have the depth that the MP has in terms of sound... When I play with people, I use acoustics. So my biggest use for vdrums is to have fun and practice playing to specific songs. So I don't need to be able to record my vdrums and have it sound like an acoustic kit with no processing. In fact, that is one of my struggles with the MP, I struggle to get it sounding the way I want, especially the toms. I just can't get them to tighten up, even with the Vex pack.

Rene

. . . . . . . . . .
    V stage with TD20 and TDW-20, pd-80s, pd-7s, pd-125, vh-12, cy-12rc, dB 405 L and Yorkville LS 700p
    Core2duo in a Cube with 2 gig of RAM and 2 HDDs, Sonar Producer 6, DFHS Custom and Vintage, and RME Multiface II

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Three letters... ASR. You can emulate muffling by playing with those settings to see what they do.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Renegator View Post
      Another thing that jumps out is that I can muffle the toms easily on the TD, whereas on the MP it seems like they are always more boomie than I want. I love toms, so that really was getting to me.
      You probably never saw or used the ASR Attack sustain and release and EQ on toms on multi channel mic.

And I know that some of you thought i was nuts when I said I was getting a center hot spot on the ATV snare I was using with the MP, but even after cranking the tension up, I still get extra loud hits in the center from time to time. The Roland digital snare is a nice change. I can dig into it and get great sounds and enjoy the feel.
      It's not hot spot, either your configuration was wrong that triggered the rimshots in center on occasion time, that is rim balance setting, or you did not use the RANGE fader to adjust the highest sample to lower, as far for dynamic range. I know few people using ATV kit they don't have this issue,in fact for many ATV kit have much better dynamic range and play better than any Roland kit and others.

So I don't need to be able to record my vdrums and have it sound like an acoustic kit with no processing.
      You can have full processed kit on MP as well, it' just question to use EQ\Compression on MIC and KIT FX, not because you have used VEX, that was good kits for you. It seem like you never scratched mimic at 20% and using vh12 is one leading half working to defect controller hihat as well know issue on the market!
      Last edited by Chris K; 09-07-19, 02:33 AM.

Comment

As Alan said , ASR (Attack, Sustain, Release) is the way to tighten up / muffle toms , snare, and kicks and cymbals, those settings can do a lot for what you are looking for.
        it is amazing on what can be done to change the sounds of instruments, read the manual and dive in. the best way to do it is clone a kit you like the most, and experiment. so that way you don't mess up a kit you have, if you make too many mistakes, delete and re clone. that's the best way to learn.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I was in your boat about six months ago. My main deciding factor between Mimic and TD-50 was playability and ease of use. For me the TD-50 plays the most like a real drum kit. It has the most articulations which make my playing experience more enjoyable. The Mimics lack of positional sensing, no rim shots for toms and (the most annoying of all) no stick tip sounds for the crashes left me feeling “meh” about the module. The final nail in the coffin for the Mimic was Vex’s Infinity pack. Infinity opened up the TD-50 and took it to another level.
          ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

I still have both also (and an aD5). IMO the real strength of the 50 is the digital pads. Without them I probably wouldn't still have it. As it stands, I swap setups often - they're all great in their own right. The options we have now compared to just a few years ago are amazing.
            Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

I think the td50 has more variety but it sacrifices realism in sonic landscape for realistic triggering. I have zero interest in anything that will get lost on the listener. There isn't a single person besides a drummer that is going to listen to the td 50 and mimic side by side and be able to audibly detect the advantage the digital pads have. And I disagree that its easier to use. It really depends on the person. Does the mimic work differently? Sure. Is it anything that reading the manual wouldn't clear up in relatively short order? Not at all. We as humans tend to buy a single product and assume that every product we buy in that category from there on out should work the exact same way. We ignore manuals. Do you know how many times someone curses the gods that their module isn't what they thought it was and they are having basic issues and you ask "did you read the manual?" 98% of the people who complain never do.

The mimic is incredibly easy to use. And there have been countless times I see people say that the module cant do this or that when ir really can and they for whatever reason treat the manual like its their own personal kryptonite. They feel if they actually have to read something then the company made it too complicated. I disagree with that.. Now, Im not saying the mimic is the perfect solution for everyone. There are things the TD50 does that the mimic doesn't do. But its that way by design. You either like it or you don't like it. But seriously no one need act surprised or frustrated if they do their due diligence. Manuals are available way before a product even hits shelves and you can understand what a module does and how it does it before it even arrives. Not knowing how to do something and refusing to learn it does not make the mimic harder to use. Now yes certain things are not exactly how I would like them. There are certain changes I would love to see implemented. but when I sit back, and analyze my needs its still the best module for those needs regardless of if those changes ever take place. Because a I could have the most accurate laser fast triggering in the world and if what Im hearing come from that triggering sounds artificial I just don't see any advantage in it for me. When people hear my kit I want them to be amazed that what they are hearing is actually all electronic. Because that is something anyone can hear when they experience my kit. But positional sensing and digital pads will likely get met with blank stares and eyerolls by anyone who doesn't have a background in the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
                I was in your boat about six months ago. My main deciding factor between Mimic and TD-50 was playability and ease of use. For me the TD-50 plays the most like a real drum kit. It has the most articulations which make my playing experience more enjoyable. The Mimics lack of positional sensing, no rim shots for toms and (the most annoying of all) no stick tip sounds for the crashes left me feeling “meh” about the module. The final nail in the coffin for the Mimic was Vex’s Infinity pack. Infinity opened up the TD-50 and took it to another level.
                why don't you hold the same amount of contention for the AD5 which lacks nearly all of the features you get on the mimic for not having? I see this a lot with guys who buy more than one module. They will use a lack of features as a negative for one product but then for another its perfectly acceptable. I often don't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by purpledc View Post

why don't you hold the same amount of contention for the AD5 which lacks nearly all of the features you get on the mimic for not having? I see this a lot with guys who buy more than one module. They will use a lack of features as a negative for one product but then for another its perfectly acceptable. I often don't understand that.
                  I can't speak for Chance, but it's easier to forgive the aD5 its faults - it's half the price of the flagships. It does have cymbal tip sounds, although why they made the adrum toms dual zone and didn't include that on the module still baffles me.

I agree with you on the Mimic - I find it very easy to use.

Comment

Cymbal tips would be a must for me. I use them all the time in the music I play. I like PS as well which can be heard really well when playing with SD3. I have played the td50 and was disappointed with the toms yet again. I haven’t tried the mimic but from all the samples I have heard I haven’t heard a Tom sound I like there either. I would more likely be able to play the td50 live due to ps and cymbal tips. As it is I will keep using my td30 to trigger SD3 and use hybrid live. There never seems to be anything that does it all so either will be a compromise.
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                      Cymbal tips would be a must for me. I use them all the time in the music I play. I like PS as well which can be heard really well when playing with SD3. I have played the td50 and was disappointed with the toms yet again. I haven’t tried the mimic but from all the samples I have heard I haven’t heard a Tom sound I like there either. I would more likely be able to play the td50 live due to ps and cymbal tips. As it is I will keep using my td30 to trigger SD3 and use hybrid live. There never seems to be anything that does it all so either will be a compromise.
                      I tried several time TD-50. The toms are fine in td50 except the jarah, it's 2 velocity sample with evident sound switch. Most weakness point in td50 the only 2 hihats, all snares. Hihat are disappointing, extra tight to open is abrupt, with machine gun on 16th\32. snare are all limited that include all preset available, still don't understand their decision to release so much limited of sound on a flagship level, combination of sound preset would be much higher.
                      Last edited by Chris K; 09-07-19, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post

I can't speak for Chance, but it's easier to forgive the aD5 its faults - it's half the price of the flagships. It does have cymbal tip sounds, although why they made the adrum toms dual zone and didn't include that on the module still baffles me.

I agree with you on the Mimic - I find it very easy to use.
                        Price is not excuse td25 do this, td17 same except position sensing. Also there is few ride that choke ad5 on polyphony. The position sensing is one things highly overrated, most don't care about it, tips cymbal a bit more in demand\played.

Big problem on edrum, people don't want to learn or read, scratching 20% the surface posting misleading information.

Modeling device are the hardest to operate, fact, there is no people others than Alan know how to create a set that should have been default on the module, even 20 years company experienced don't know how to operate their own modeling, td50 was the worst preset of all by far from all their flagship, Alan did bring them poor to modern playable kit.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 09-07-19, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Renegator if you do like your TD50 - why do you need any opinions from other people? =) Seems very strange to me, really.
                          In my opinion 70% of things you described are very personal.
                          For example - as you can see in the answers in this thread - other people say that mimic is very easy to edit.
                          Something that doe snot work for you - works great for other man.
                          That is why we have so many different products on the market, and it looks like you found your product - isn't it great?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Modeling device are the hardest to operate, fact, there is no people others than Alan know how to create a set that should have been default on the module, even 20 years company experience don't know how to operate their own modeling.
                            Can't argue with that - the default kits are a travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                              if you do like your TD50 - why do you need any opinions from other people? Seems very strange to me
                              He did this on his previous last post similar things, blaming mimic hihat and he was using vh12 discontinued - stated tons of time, know as controller problem on the market. The mimic hihat is one of the top of the market and surpass all vst on smoothness. Howstamychi have TD-50 with latest vex, and it's fully contradictory experience with his atv hi hat on mimic and full atv kit, no machine gun, no hotspot, high dynamic, he end up using TD-50 as electronic sound device sound manipulation, even ditched SD3.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 09-07-19, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X