Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Considering upgrading TD-9 to TD-17 module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering upgrading TD-9 to TD-17 module

About a decade ago I bought my first Roland kit. A sweet TD-9 kit with all mesh pads, a VH-11 an extra CY-14c(I think), updated it to the v2 sounds and used some VEX pack to really get the best sounds.

Now over 10 years have past and I enjoyed playing my kit, but not really following the edrum market. Now I’m curious as to how much things have improved since then. And if it’s worth to update my module to something new.

Doing some research a TD-17 module sounds like a nice update (although positional sensing for the snare on a TD-25 sounds awesome), but I find it difficult to grasp the difference in sound and playability.

The TD-9 is al fine to play, but it has definitely issues that sometimes you trigger a stroke on full volume. Now I always assumed this was due to the nature of e-drums, but maybe things have improved?

Any input on how current generations compare to a TD-9 would be so helpful.

Cheers!

the TD17 is much more recent than the TD9 so in that sense you’ll have newer technology, sounds etc. but in term of its relative place in the Roland hierarchy, it’s comparable to the TD9 in its day so it might not be much of an ‘upgrade’ for your money (compared to something like the TD30 or 50). the problem you describe sounds like a hotspot issue - search these forums for plenty of info on that. there is a useful comparison of roland modules at:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums

good luck
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

I used to own a TD-17 and I thought it was a pretty good module, especially for the price. I sold it after a few months because I wanted an acoustic set, but then after a few more months I started an A2E conversion and needed a drum module again, lol. I ended up getting sucked in by the bright shininess of a Pearl Mimic Pro, which is undoubtedly a better module, but at 3-4x the price. I did consider a TD-17, but by that point I had already been bit by the Mimic bug and it was hard to think objectively, plus it felt a little like admitting defeat to go back to a module I had pretty recently sold. That said, if I really couldn’t afford a Mimic, the TD-17 would have been more than adequate, but I’’d recommend picking one up from drum-tec, as they have a very cool-sounding custom sound pack that I think sounds way better than the native kits. They don’t sell it as a stand-alone download (although there is a “”metal” pack they do sell separately). V Expressions also has an expansion for the TD-17 that I bet is very good. One thing about the native sounds is, although there are many, most aren’t ’really that useable IMO, and I found myself constantly switching kits but never finding anything “just right.” Part of that I think is just the novelty of a drum module, but I really think I would have been happier with better sounds, like I’ve ’seen in the drum-tec videos. I’’ve never touched a TD-9, so can’’t compare, but I’’d recommend stopping by a Guitar Center if there is one close by - they likely will have a TD-17 on the sales floor that you could play with.
      Last edited by MJB; 09-05-19, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Dahaka wrote:
        Doing some research. A TD-17 module sounds like a nice update (although positional sensing for the snare on a TD-25 sounds awesome), but I find it difficult to grasp the difference in sound and playability (Ed: as compared to the TD-9).

The TD-9 is all fine to play, but it has definitely issues that sometimes you trigger a stroke on full volume. Now I always assumed this was due to the nature of e-drums, but maybe things have improved?
        The TD-17 is a substantial sonic upgrade as compared to the TD-9. There is almost no machine gunning and the sounds are far more acoustically believable. The cymbal sounds are wonderful - perhaps the best cymbal sounds Roland has ever created and some of my favorite cymbal sounds of all modern modules. I'm less enthused about the TD-17's snare, tom, and bass drum sounds, because they are too pre-processed, as is typical (unfortunately) for Roland modules. Still, all the sounds are considerably better than the TD-9.

Where the TD-17 really comes into its own is with the TD-17KVX, a kit that features pads with side-mounted triggers. The side-mounted triggers mean no positional sensing, which is a trade-off for the benefit of having no hot spots. In my opinion, this is one of the best design decisions Roland has made in a V-Drums kit. It seems Roland has been unable to solve the hot spot problem inherent in their center-mounted triggers. Thus, by using side-mounted triggers for all pads in the TD-17KVX, this is the most playable kit I've ever used from Roland due to the lack of hot spots.

My advice? If your TD-9 kit has all side-mounted triggers, consider adding the TD-17 module on its own. If your TD-9 kit is a higher end model with center-mounted triggers, consider selling the entire kit and replacing it with the TD-17KVX. You won't get the playability and sonic benefits of the TD-17 module with center mounted triggers; you'll get some benefits regardless, but the real benefits occur with side-mounted triggers, which yield no hot spots so you can play the sounds to their full dynamic range and potential.
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-07-19, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tang - really useful info in this post.
          Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

jackodrum wrote:
            Thanks Tang - really useful info in this post.
            Jackodrum, thanks for your feedback and kind words! :-)

Comment

Thanks for the information all, truly a lot of help.
              Similar as to why I would not even consider a Mimic pro, replacing the entire kit(with PD-8 toms and a PD105 snare) and go for TD-17KVX is sadly enough not in my budget. I use the kit purely for some casual drumming at home, the old TD-9 still is ok, but I was just curious as to what a quick module upgrade would bring me.

Also by the looks of it, the new drum-rack on the TD-17 kits seems like a bit of a downgrade compared to the MDS-9 that came with my TD-9. Much less flexibility for future bass drum upgrades.

That said, I plan now on first selling the old TD-9 for about €300(the local 2nd hand market seems to settle around that number), and then upgrading to the TD-17

Edit: Any thoughts how to mount a TD-17 on different rack then come with the kits? I see they have some fancy side mounting thing going on, but can I still use a mounting plate, or doesn't it has those holes for it?
              Last edited by Dahaka; 09-08-19, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Dahaka

Dahaka wrote:
                Any thoughts how to mount a TD-17 on different rack than come with the kits? I see they have some fancy side mounting thing going on, but can I still use a mounting plate, or doesn't it have those holes for it?
                The TD-17 includes a mounting bracket that slides into proprietary rails on the bottom of the module. You must use the included bracket. There are no holes on the bottom of the module to accommodate a more traditional, generic bracket. See photos attached. (Note, I used photos from a European web site and thus the power cord reflects this. The module ships with a power cord appropriate for the region in which it is purchased.)

Rails
                (Click image to zoom,)
                https://www.vdrums.com/filedata/fetc...6&d=1568054744
                td17_rails.jpg

Mount
                (Click image to zoom,)
                https://www.vdrums.com/filedata/fetc...7&d=1568054752
                td17_mount.jpg

Included Components
                (Click image to zoom,)
                https://www.vdrums.com/filedata/fetc...8&d=1568054760
                td17_includes.jpg

Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-09-19, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X