Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Rack or Stands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack or Stands?

Just curious on what the latest opinion is with eDrum kits in mind. A2E, Roland, ATV, whatever youíre beating up these days - what would you use or what do you use?
    Rack
    50.00%
    Stands
    37.50%
    Hybrid / Both
    12.50%
    Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Iím currently using stands, but considering going back to a custom rack as my kit is getting a bit unruly in managing the various pads and cables these days. So as I pondered my own direction, I was curious what you guys thought about racks vs stands for an eDrum rig. Purely opinion related topic, but thought Iíd throw it out there for a bit of fun...

Any pics for inspiration are also welcome of course
    Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Well if you have an ATV set, you would probably go with the supplied stands, which are heavy duty and have memory rings on all. If you are gigging out, a rack has advantages re weight and ease of setup.
      ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

if it were just a stationary, set and forget thing, then a rack is fine. i did find my rack to be annoying and unwieldy to move around, especially with all the cables and such. just hated adjusting it, and setting it up/breaking it down was worse. as much as i dislike setting up stands, at least those were faster and easier to use, not to mention offer more positional flexibility. that was my experience, but it could be possible that i just needed to use better hardware.

Comment

with my big kit, rack, much cleaner looking , i built a Gibraltar rack and have my cables in the rack tubes. everything has memory locks that makes it a lot easier to set up
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

...nice setup...

Comment

Nice rack! (sorry )
              E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
              A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
              TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

I've been using somewhat of a combination for a while - I use a side rack on my left and a tripod on the right. The left rack runs from the front, holding my rack tom, crash, hi-hat, sampler and drum module. I use my snare on a standard snare stand and used to do the same with the floor tom, though I've now mounted that off the right tripod too to save some floor space.

This is an older photo of how it used to look, but I've taken one leg off the rack now, as well as removing the little 10" suspended pad on the tripod, swapping to having the floor tom suspended as I said above. Keeps things compact but allows me have my quite-left-hand-heavy setup mounted on a rack for ease.

The biggest nuisance with running only stands is cable management. Much easier to deal with if you have the cables running through a rack. How much this matters to you will obviously be personal.

Comment

I use lightweight stands because I've got a small kit (snare, rack tom, floor tom, bass drum) and want to reduce weight and setup time. Presently, both my toms are mounted using snare stands, but I'd like to convert the floor tom to a full acoustic size (so the floor tom stands on its own, using floor tom legs) and mount the rack tom from the bass drum. That's two stands I'll no longer need, which saves additional weight and additional setup time. The problem I had when using a rack is twofold. (1) For my small kit, a rack is overkill and vastly increases weight, footprint, and setup time. Note, I'm using close to acoustic sizes that do not fold up neatly on a compact rack, the way some of Roland's smaller kits and pads do. (2) Most importantly, with a rack, I cannot position the hi-hat forward, on the same plane as the bass drum pedal, where I want the hi-hat to be. This problem disappears when I eliminate the rack. Like Pulsc, I find the biggest downside to using stands is cable management; I've always got cables running up and down stands, and strewn across the floor.
                  Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-19-19, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rsm View Post
                    ...nice setup...
                    thanks
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

a rack looks ultra clean and you can add a lot of drum parts without a lot of 'feet' (stands) but..
                      with electronic drums there's another thing that is going to matter.. crosstalk .. if you have a lot of cymbals, toms on tubes connected
                      that's going to influence each others triggering .. ofcourse with a good module you can suppress this.. but this 'could' make a difference
                      in dynamic ranges again .. with stands there is really 'zero' crosstalk between drum parts .. (it is a big difference)
                      i have a rack with e-drums but i had to solve some crosstalk headaches.. (even with foam in clamps etc..)
                      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

stands 100%
                        Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

I like stands live, with my acoustic kit. But at home, I love my rack.
                          Yamaha DTX900 - XP120S Snare - PCY135-155 / RHH135
                          Currently transitionning to DIY pads...
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rntZ4AHfvJE

Comment

I polled I use a rack... but I think I would prefer the look of stands, much like Pulsc posted.

Not braggin' here, but my rack is huge. But they work very well for the permanent installation in my home. It's worked extremely well for my purposes and would dread the thought of moving it.
                            I'd like to swing completely the opposite direction and have stealth stands. I would figure out something for the cabling.

Comment

Working...
                            X