Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Best used Roland module for gigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

You just reinforced exactly what I said. I didn't mention MFX. I commented on the "raw" portion. You DO have eq & compression.
    Can you send the effects to a direct out? Alternatively,you should be able to create a main mix that is effects only as an extra send.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Can you send the effects to a direct out? Alternatively,you should be able to create a main mix that is effects only as an extra send.
      I believe all ambiance can be sent to a pair of DOs. Iím actually working on a mix course right now that I will be filming after this hurricane moves through. This is something Iíll be covering in the section where I go over routing and recording.
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

ReeseRocket wrote:
        According to the TD-30 block wiring diagram, no wiring connection is made from Multi Effects or Ambience/Reverb Send to the Setup Output Master or Setup Output Direct to the direct outs bus. Nor is the Master Comp/EQ connected to anything but the Master L/R outs and Phones L/R outs. The same is true with Multi Effects MFX.
        That's especially disappointing considering the TD-30 has no true room ambience for each drum and instead relies on artificial ambiance generated by the various effects sections. I rarely use the MFX section, but when I do it is for individual drum adjustment (such as the snare drum or maybe the toms as a group). In other words, I use both ambience and MFX for extremely subtle adjustments that are part of each individual drum. I'd most certainly want these adjustments in the direct outs. Whatever spatial ambience is required for a given situation, I leave that for external processing.

As Peter and Alan suggest, it's likely one can route ambience and MFX only to the stereo master outs, creating an ambience and MFX only pair, but this loses the mix relationships for each individual drum, which means, for example, one cannot change the level of the snare with its effects adjustments intact. Moreover, the Master EQ and Master Compressor become useless, as for these effects one doesn't want both the dry and effected signals in the mix.

Question for anyone who knows: I'm curious, how is this handled in the TD-50. Given the TD-50 has three MFX sections, it's quite possible one would want to route each of these, individually, to direct outs, along with each associated drum affected. Is this possible with the TD-50?

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
          Question for anyone who knows: I'm curious, how is this handled in the TD-50. Given the TD-50 has three MFX sections, it's quite possible one would want to route each of these, individually, to direct outs, along with each associated drum affected. Is this possible with the TD-50?
          The 50 allows AMB out 'all as one' (RM/RV/ST_ENHANCE as one) to any pair of DOs as desired.

IIRC, each MFX can be sent individually as well. (MFX1 to a pair, MFX2 to a pair, etc.)

It's totally possible to do multiple midi passes in recording with each AMB and MFX turned on *alone*, to achieve each portion individually in a DAW. (not sure why anyone would bother, since there are better quality plugs in the DAW in most cases)

In a live situation though, you can only choose to run all those based on how many DOs you desire to run overall. In most situations, all the DO's will get eaten up with the instruments alone... with some "mix" possibilities.

You have a lot of choices, but only a few make sense.
          Alan
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Alan,

Re your reply to me. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X