Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Newb-style Questions & KD-9 Dent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb-style Questions & KD-9 Dent

I just bought a used Roland TD-11. I am not a drummer, but I am a singer / guitar / keyboardist so I am intimately familiar with the musical world, and have played with lots of drummers, plus I was in a duo with a V-Drum player (played to a click I programmed via in-ears).

My basic newb questions are as follows:

As a left-handed guy who plays guitar right-handed, how should I set up the kit?

As to the KD-9 / foot pedal (see attached photo) the KD-9 head has a bit of a dent in it, and the felt-end of the beater is configured to hit the head (I understand that's not good). Can I / should I get rid of the dent? Should I adjust the foot pedal so it can't hit the BD head so hard? I assume I should turn around the beater to the plastic side and/or get the Remo Falam Slam patch?

I have read this thread https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...kick-drum-kd-9

And for those that are interested here's my first thread and rationale for entering the world of V-Drums https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...c-courtesy-kit
    Attached Files
    Last edited by puppychumful; 08-13-19, 05:35 PM.

In your photos, it is hard to see the degree of denting in your KD-9 head. Based on what I can see though, the denting seems minor. You might choose to raise the beater a bit higher (to avoid the dented spot) and do nothing else for now. Also, you mentioned a Falam Slam patch. I don't recommend the Falam Slam as it makes the acoustic sound of the beater hitting the pad louder and changes the feel of the pad, making the feel harder and less pliant.

Eventually, as more wear occurs, you may need to replace the foam inside the pad. The head of the KD-9 looks like mesh, but it's actually a piece of foam with thin cloth adhered over top. The denting is the foam wearing and not a cloth / mesh head giving way. To extend the foam life, you can flip the beater around, using the hard plastic side of the beater instead of the felt. To extend foam life even more and allow use of felt beaters, I put protective layers over the foam. I used a sandwich of mylar, multiple felt layers, and mesh cloth. To find my instructions, search for the first instance of TangTheHump in this thread:

My KD-9 is Falling Apart
    Code:
    https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/1036955-my-kd-9-is-falling-apart
    https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...-falling-apart

I'm using the exact sandwich documented in my post and have not experienced noticeable denting in my KD-9 over the last five years of playing.
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-13-19, 09:04 PM.

Comment

The dent is pretty modest yes, and I'll go by your advice, much obliged Master Tang!

Comment

Admittedly, my fix for the KD-9 turned into quite a micro-project, but I learned a lot in the process.

Look in the thread I linked to above and search for pumpal's follow-up posts. He found a 6 inch head that fits the KD-9 perfectly. Most of the work I did is unnecessary if you start with a mesh head that fits. You can buy Roland branded and Remo branded 6 inch mesh heads, so that's what I'd do in your instance. Go to a craft store and buy some sheets of felt. Underneath the whole "sandwich", I placed a layer of mylar (using material from a drum head), but you can use any thin, protective material you want. The purpose of the mylar layer is to prevent the rubbing / pulling action from the beater against the cloth and foam of the KD-9 shock absorber. Over time, the shock absorber will break down, but the three layer sandwich I've used seems to slow the process significantly. If you use pumpal's approach (which is straightforward and easy), you can do the entire job in 15 minutes!

It's a shame the links to pumpal's build pictures no longer work, as the pictures were quite helpful. You could send him a PM and see if he still has copies of the pictures.
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-15-19, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Hello TangTheHump,

I can pick up a complete (used) KD-9 in perfect condition dent-free for the equivalent of $50 US and that might be a better choice once/ if the KD-9 pad becomes unusable?

I also found this Remo SN0006-00 Silentstroke Mesh Drum Head (6-Inch) for $13.13 Cdn. Can I simply take off the old mesh head and install the Remo or are you suggesting there is a bit more to it (i.e. pumpal's approach doing the entire job in 15 minutes)?

I am quite competent with tools and the trades as it's my living, so as long as it's not at the demanding level of aeronautics, it would be simple enough for me, as long as I know what materials to get and the procedure.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EK62EQ8/...709270_TE_item

Very much obliged!

PS: I have subscribed to this and a few other threads but I never get any notifications so my apologies for any delays in my responses (fixed now!).

Edit: Although I purchased the Remo head for $13.13 Cdn ($10 USD) it now shows on Amazon for $21.99 Cdn. I've seen unaccountable price fluctuations on Amazon before, and it seems they are a question of chance.
          Last edited by puppychumful; 08-18-19, 02:35 AM.

Comment

puppychumful,

puppychumful wrote:
            I can pick up a complete (used) KD-9 in perfect condition dent-free for the equivalent of $50 US and that might be a better choice once / if the KD-9 pad becomes unusable?
            That's a great price for a KD-9. Even with shipping, taxes, duties, and such added, the $50 USD base price is still attractive.

For reference, the current model of the KD-9 is the KD-10. In America, the KD-10 sells new for $210 USD. In Canada, the KD-10 sells new for $270 CAD. So, if you buy in Canada and add taxes, you'll pay around $300 CAD for a new KD-10.

puppychumful wrote:
            I also found this Remo SN0006-00 Silentstroke Mesh Drum Head (6-Inch) for $13.13 Cdn. Can I simply take off the old mesh head and install the Remo or are you suggesting there is a bit more to it (i.e. pumpal's approach doing the entire job in 15 minutes)?
            There is no mesh head inside the KD-9 / KD-10. The surface of the KD-9 / KD-10 is mesh-like cloth that is glued to a foam shock absorber. (In my post above, I referred to the entire assembly, cloth and foam, as the "shock absorber".) You cannot remove the cloth portion. However, what you can do is put protection over top of the entire shock absorber assembly. This is what I did and what pumpal did.

I created a multi-layer sandwich of mylar, felt, and mesh, as follows. Mylar (from a new drum head) placed over the existing KD-9 shock absorber. Multiple felt layers placed over the mylar. Mesh cloth (from a new mesh head) placed over the felt layers. All the layers (mylar, felt, and mesh) are cut into circles, stitched together, and placed inside the housing of the KD-9, over top of the shock absorber. The KD-9 housing has a lip, so when the layers are cut to the correct size, the lip holds them in place.

Pumpel figured out how to do this with an off-the shelf, six inch mesh head, which avoids all the cutting a stitching work I needed to do. Apparently a six inch mesh head fits perfectly inside the KD-9 housing, over top of the shock absorber, without needing any modification to the head. I have not tried this (I used my home brewed approach instead), but Pumpel showed examples of his finished work and it looked straightforward and professional. He said it took a total of fifteen minutes to open up the KD-9 and install the mesh head.

Important:
            (1) Pumpel did not use the three layer approach (mylar, felt, and mesh) I used and instead put felt and a mesh head over top of the KD-9 shock absorber. Pumpel came back later and said his KD-9 shock absorber still wore down somewhat over time. With my approach, I have not experienced as much wear as Pumpel did. Seemingly, the additional mylar layer I used reduces beater rubbing wear on the shock absorber. Still though, over time, even if you never use your KD-9, the shock absorber will break down. This is the nature of certain foam materials; they break down on their own over time.

(2) In terms of playing, the KD-9 and KD-10 feel almost identical, but I've never taken a KD-10 apart. The housing of the KD-9 and KD-10 are significantly different. Pumpel and I each used a KD-9 for our modifications. If you buy a KD-10, you'll need to take the KD-10 apart and examine the feasibility of the modifications we've described.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
              It's a shame the links to pumpal's build pictures no longer work, as the pictures were quite helpful. You could send him a PM and see if he still has copies of the pictures.
              I reaploaded the images here. Sorry for the late reply. As an advise - try not to make the sandwich too thick so the mesh underneath does not stay depressed too much. It's a memory foam and keeping it depressed a lot may ruin the foam structure permanently .. If I was doing it today, maybe I would look for a piece of 150mm PVC pipe to use as a shell to tighten the mesh against, so it is not pressing on the foam edge.. not sure if it is possible, just thinking out loud .. If the foam is ruined totally, maybe it might be replaced with the aforementioned piece of PVC tubing, filled out with silicone and the mesh on top. I might be crazy, LoL But I saw another Roland kick pad that had silicone layer under the rubber so it may work actually ..
              Last edited by pumpal; 10-10-19, 05:28 PM.
              ATV aD5
              Tama MetroJam mkII A2E

Comment

Pumpal,

Thanks uploading your KD9 photos again! I downloaded your photos so I can refer to them, if / when I need to re-do my KD-9. Again, thanks so much for doing that!

Comment

Working...
                X