Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Megadrum : should I buy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadrum : should I buy ?

Hello everyone.

I recently learned about this drum module, and did a little digging here and there... that thing seems GREAT and extremely affordable... but where is the catch ? (if any).

I know it is only a triggering device, without sound or anything, but I have SD2.0 that I can work/record with, and still, I guess I could still use any other function my DTX900 is providing by using the MIDI IN port...

I am sick of all compatibility issues, and everything seems to work OK with it... + a lot of DiY guys are using it so...

Can someone tell me if that's really the dream brain ?
    Yamaha DTX900 - XP120S Snare - PCY135-155 / RHH135
    Currently transitionning to DIY pads...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rntZ4AHfvJE

The Megadrum project is basically fully developed. No more bugs left to fix. No better time to jump in.

The DIY part has always been about optional cost saving, you can buy a ready built 120MHz aluminium module and it's still exceptional value considering the features and inputs. Only alternatives are Versa-trigger because nobody sane should be buying the discontinued Alesis trigger IO.

The catch is; the learning curve.

There isn't much point downloading trigger settings imo - it'll never beat learning how to calibrate manually (although there is partial auto calibration for switches) with an understanding of what each setting does and how to "program it" through the Megadrum Manager FX application. It's all point and click, no coding.

I'd still love to have a true drum module one day - one cannot escape the Frankenstein perception over how Megadrum works but it's the gold standard trigger-to-MIDI module.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Hey there ! Thanks a lot for your input. I hadn't checked the software you mentioned until now. I thought you had to deal with the LCD screen only.

https://youtu.be/6crpT1jfeS0

That looks pretty straightforward and, may I say, user friendly (Although I may not know the exact use of every parameter). It also seems to facilitate the calibration process of DIY trigger elements

Can you tinker the settings while using SD2.0 (for example) in any DAW, and check the real time sound evolution?

I keep my eyes open for any other input, but you're selling it quite right !

Comment

Clem3000,

Perhaps I missed something in your posts, but it seems you have a Yamaha DTX900 module. Why not use that to trigger SD 2.0? If I was in your situation and had a DTX900, that's what I'd use. No need for the Megadrum. Plus, the DTX900 has many functions (note stacking, note sequences, etc.) that you can trigger and send over MIDI, providing lots of technical and musical options. It's not that I have anything against the Megadrum, but older flagship modules like the DTX900 and TD-30 work very well as flexible, robust trigger to MIDI devices.

Comment

You're correct. That's a completely valid point.

I am using the module to record and trigger SD2.0. It works quite well. However, there is a few things that I find pretty annoying, like the lack for controls when it comes to the Hihat pedal, and the compatibility issues with other brands equipments.

I am starting to build Diy pads, and it seems the Megadrum has quite a reputation among the community.

But, if I'm facing the truth, that looks like another case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Yamaha hi-hat controller hardwired to send stepped resistance values by design?

In which case, you'll need a new hi-hat controller if you intend to take advantage of SD2.0 CC support. Otherwise there'll be no difference to triggering the way you are now with the DTX900 - as you cannot bypass the controller wiring. You would need a multi-metre to measure the change in resistance as you move the pedal to find out the truth.
            ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
            PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

For what itís worth, I own a MegaDRUM 56-input and itís currently sitting in a box because I was never able to get my hihats dialed in to an acceptable level. In my case I use the ATV hats - which are powered and could still be the reason as to why I had so many issues - but according to Dimitri it should have performed just fine. Anyway, I worked with the module for several weeks trying to get it set up properly with my kit, but for me it wasnít panning out.

In any case, I think itís a fantastic product, but there are still a few issues to work through in some cases and personally I didnít have the desire to grind through additional days / weeks to get mine running right. Not a knock, just my personal experience.
              Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Yamaha hi-hat controller hardwired to send stepped resistance values by design?

In which case, you'll need a new hi-hat controller if you intend to take advantage of SD2.0 CC support. Otherwise there'll be no difference to triggering the way you are now with the DTX900 - as you cannot bypass the controller wiring. You would need a multi-metre to measure the change in resistance as you move the pedal to find out the truth.
                That make sense. I shall try. That would also explain the faint clicks I can hear when pressing the thing. I found the DTX900 quite limited in its hats settings, the adjustment of the pedal and the trigger information it sends to the sampler. Roland modules are far more practical on this part.

For what itís worth, I own a MegaDRUM 56-input and itís currently sitting in a box because I was never able to get my hihats dialed in to an acceptable level. In my case I use the ATV hats - which are powered and could still be the reason as to why I had so many issues - but according to Dimitri it should have performed just fine. Anyway, I worked with the module for several weeks trying to get it set up properly with my kit, but for me it wasnít panning out
                Damn that's sad, the ATV what my other choice of hats... that gives me an excuse to try some FSR type of controller. Anyway, If you consider selling your piece, I may be interested (if you'll be okay to send it to France...)

Comment

If you do go the Megadrum route, have a look at this thread to see how to easily make a DIY hi hat controller that works great with Megadrum and which costs pennies. You can then use the cymbal of your choice (ATV, whatever).
                  MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Hello Ignotus, I've been checking out your projects and builds lately, and boy, there is a lot of great ideas to borrow from !

This HiHat controller seems totally designed for DIY beginners (like me...)
                    Thanks a lot for your input !

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                    I can confirm. I I interpret the readings correctly, it said :
                    1k Ohm closed, 10k Ohm, 20k Ohm, 66k Ohm, +200k Ohm, and open circuit (I guess)
                    Last edited by Clem3000; 08-15-19, 05:46 AM. Reason: Rephrase and complete

Comment

The MegaDrum device works fine when you get over the knowledge threshold...

Nice thread- you influenced me to boot up one of my three units again and test the ATV hi-hat!

Hh DIY is quite fun also...I took some optical components (TCL5000) and electronics + 3D printed a pedal sensor box...for 2Box. :-)

Works Great!

https://youtu.be/VteR6QWk5EA

best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

There will be another option coming soon in the next couple of weeks.

the first version will have 4 inputs. each stereo input can deliver 3 zones each, a pedal input, midi and USB.
                        The inputs can be regular stereo, or dual mono, so, no need to add convoluted drum splitters to get two pads on the same input.
                        It will work with every pads available, whether the 3-zone pads from Yamaha, to dual zones with Roland, etc....

Using a Yamaha cymbal, I was able to have an edge, bow and bell trigger on my HH. Kinda cool! Perfect for assigning a tambourine or shaker sound.

The best is that there is no learning curve. Super simple yet extremely powerful trigger configurations, completely custumizable in their settings.

I love what the megadrum brought to the DIY edrum community over the years, and I have loads of respect for Dimitri who supported well his devices and its users, but this new trigger midi device will make the MD feel like 1980!

Have a quick look

https://www.audiofront.net/eDrumIn.php
                        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

The eDRUMin has a killer interface we could only dream of on Megadrum. But 4 inputs is ridiculous - I would need to buy at least 7 of these modules? I get competing with the current market but they need to think bigger.
                          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

thanks for pointing out the edrumin. thats actually exactly what I'm looking for. My TD-25 is exactly 4 inputs shy of being all I really 'need' for SD3 triggering. if i could pre-order this edrumin I would.
                            TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Thanks Perceval.
                              That looks really nice ! I would love to have more inputs, but for a small Home Studio, that seems to be a really nice device.

Comment

Working...
                              X