Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Refurbish my TD-10k, or buy a new TD-50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbish my TD-10k, or buy a new TD-50?

Hi All

Long time since my last post, maybe 12+ years, and I'd really like some advice or input.

In that time my Td-10k has got old, and is need of some attention. I've refurbed my cymbals once - a total waste of time - and recently bought a new Cy-14 crash, which is great.

I now get some horrendous white noise/interference when I play hard from time to time, which is a concern. I suspect it is a combination of losoe leads, failing connections, and possibly some electronic gremlins.

Options as I see it are:

(1) Buy a new MDS-50KV stand with integrated cords, and a new hi-hat and ride, and hope that fixes it for now. Might cost a few thousand dollars in NZ.

(2) Buy a whole new TD-50k kit, which ranges in price in NZ from $8k-$15k (ouch). I can't see myself being happy with a lesser kit

Any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Depends what you want to spend. Don't rate the 50 myself - nor it seems do a load of the users who all seem to be using £200 VSTs to improve the sound. Also, you're buying into a proprietary ecosystem.

Up to you.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I think it may be time to let the td10 go. Even 2nd hand td30s are a huge improvement without going to a td50. I have tried the td50 but didnít care for its sounds but I know others do and you can get extra sounds and vex packs etc.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

^ Exactly what I had typed a couple of hours ago. I'd get a used 30 kit in great condition. If you decide you still want higher quality sound, then sell the module to get a Mimic or whatever you desire. You might still have a little money left for additional hardware, and maybe even a couple of pads, if you find the right deal.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

hi, dr nick!

if you're having gremlin issues, a cheap way to take a stab at it would be some contact cleaner. i use deoxit d5. grab a patch cable or one of the leads from your set and give it a squirt, then work it in and out of all the i/o on your modules and triggers. i do this periodically with my guitar amps and such. might be worth a shot. if you're lucky, that'll do it. or you can start jiggling cables looking for faulty ones.

Comment

+1 on whatís already been said... I think itís time to break down and get a new (or new to you) rig. Used TD-30 maybe? Pull the trigger and go A2E? ATV or another ready made option? So many ways to go it really just depends on your budget and desired outcome....
            Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Tama Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Hi all. I don't know the 2nd hand market in NZ, but I'm guessing that it's even worse than the 2nd hand market in Australia which means that it's unlikely Dr Nick is going to be able to find a 2nd-hand TD30. Probably not impossible, but 2nd-hand might not be a realistic thing to wait for.
              Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Originally posted by dr nick View Post
                Hi All

Long time since my last post, maybe 12+ years, and I'd really like some advice or input.

In that time my Td-10k has got old, and is need of some attention. I've refurbed my cymbals once - a total waste of time - and recently bought a new Cy-14 crash, which is great.

I now get some horrendous white noise/interference when I play hard from time to time, which is a concern. I suspect it is a combination of losoe leads, failing connections, and possibly some electronic gremlins.

Options as I see it are:

(1) Buy a new MDS-50KV stand with integrated cords, and a new hi-hat and ride, and hope that fixes it for now. Might cost a few thousand dollars in NZ.

(2) Buy a whole new TD-50k kit, which ranges in price in NZ from $8k-$15k (ouch). I can't see myself being happy with a lesser kit

Any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Just a few questions to narrow down the advice:
                How committed are you towards the Roland ecosystem?
                And how important is it that the drums look like an electronic set (i.e smaller footprint?)
                With regards to the module, will you be looking for stock sounds or wanting to use the VST route?

In terms of where your bang for buck is and where to spend the money if you are going to spend then definitely don't skimp on your module, hi hat, snare drum and ride cymbal. You can get a TD50 module, top snare drum, VH-13 (or similar), Roland digital ride for about $5k which will definitely step up your system.

Personally, I'd much rather go with a Mimic Pro module, ATV 18" Ride, VH-13 hat, and build your own snare drum using R Drums Trigger system (which is as good as any of the top of the line offerings). That will set you back between $5k - $6k but you'll have an absolutely top quality set up with great sounds.

Last edited by mrantarctica; 08-04-19, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
                  Hi all. I don't know the 2nd hand market in NZ, but I'm guessing that it's even worse than the 2nd hand market in Australia which means that it's unlikely Dr Nick is going to be able to find a 2nd-hand TD30. Probably not impossible, but 2nd-hand might not be a realistic thing to wait for.
                  Sourcing a second hand Td-30 would indeed be challenging in NZ. I'm not averse to buying from overseas, but too much of a gamble for that sort of outlay sight unseen!

Comment

Originally posted by mrantarctica View Post

Just a few questions to narrow down the advice:
                    How committed are you towards the Roland ecosystem?
                    And how important is it that the drums look like an electronic set (i.e smaller footprint?)
                    With regards to the module, will you be looking for stock sounds or wanting to use the VST route?

In terms of where your bang for buck is and where to spend the money if you are going to spend then definitely don't skimp on your module, hi hat, snare drum and ride cymbal. You can get a TD50 module, top snare drum, VH-13 (or similar), Roland digital ride for about $5k which will definitely step up your system.

Personally, I'd much rather go with a Mimic Pro module, ATV 18" Ride, VH-13 hat, and build your own snare drum using R Drums Trigger system (which is as good as any of the top of the line offerings). That will set you back between $5k - $6k but you'll have an absolutely top quality set up with great sounds.

Great points, I'm very appreciative. I'm not wed to Roland by any means. You've hit the nail on the head with the ride and hi hat - this is where I am struggling. I believe I can ad a VH-13 and Cy-18 to the Td-10 and get a reasonable result.

In my other life I am a surgeon, with limited down time, so I place a reasonably high value on the convenience of plug and play.

Comment

I place a reasonably high value on the convenience of plug and play.
                      this (and reliability) is one of rolandís big competitive strengths. it would also seem like an argument for Ďcutting your lossesí with the td10, regardless of whether you go with a new(-er) roland or something else
                      Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Originally posted by dr nick View Post

Great points, I'm very appreciative. I'm not wed to Roland by any means. You've hit the nail on the head with the ride and hi hat - this is where I am struggling. I believe I can ad a VH-13 and Cy-18 to the Td-10 and get a reasonable result.

In my other life I am a surgeon, with limited down time, so I place a reasonably high value on the convenience of plug and play.
                        The TD-10 will not be compatible with the VH-13 as far as I know. Roland seem to indicate that the best you can get Hi-Hat wise on the TD-10 is the VH-11 (which is actually a very good hi-hat, and I got a lot of use out of my one!) But perhaps double check if anyone has used the VH-13 with the TD-10 first. The CY-18 is a digital ride and ONLY works with a TD-50 which is a major downside to the cymbal.

In terms of plug and play, I think your big decision is whether you want to get the VST sounds that the Mimic Pro offers, or go for the Roland TD30/50 Sound style. In terms of stock sounds, I don't think there's any comparison. The Mimic sounds a lot more realistic and is plug and play. However, the VEX kits for Roland TD30/50 are pretty good (although not as good as the Mimic Pro in my opinion). For me, the only reason to go with a TD-50 is if you are stuck to the Digital Snare and Digital Ride. I haven't tried either but the reviews I have seen suggest that there isn't a massive difference between these kit pieces and what is already out there. It's certainly not worth the massive price hike. A TD-30 is a perfectly good alternative, and also gives you the option of utilising VST's through the USB connection on the TD-30. However, if you are hell bent on getting the CY-18DR or any other digital pieces then you are stuck to the TD-50.

From your limited down time and desire for plug and play, I would assume that you probably don't want to go the DIY route in terms of individual drums. If your budget will stretch that far, I'd have a look at the ATV EXS5 kit. They are very good plug and play kits which are a decent size but not too large or bulky. If you look on the Drumtec website, you can get them without a module, and so you can just pick whichever Module you want. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to put something together for you where you can get an ATV EXS5, Mimic Pro module, and customise with a VH-13 hat (instead of the ATV Hat) which I think would probably set you back about $5k plus shipping but would basically be a really top quality set which would easily be just as good as a TD30K (and perhaps the lower end TD-50) and offer much better sounds on account of the Mimic Pro module. .

Comment

Having used a Pearl Mimic for almost a year now, there is no way I would recommend any Roland module. The Pearl is leaps and bounds ahead of them. Of course, that leaves you with whatever issues you may be having with your current pads/connections.
                          Acoustic: FrankenKit - Late '60s Slingerland Kit, Ludwig snare and floor tom, add-on Pearl toms, Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste cymbals. DW5000 double pedal.
                          Electric: Roland TD-25 for snare, cymbals and bass, Alesis DM-10 with Bluejay sounds for toms. Variety of Roland pads for cymbals and drums.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorris View Post
                            Having used a Pearl Mimic for almost a year now, there is no way I would recommend any Roland module. The Pearl is leaps and bounds ahead of them. Of course, that leaves you with whatever issues you may be having with your current pads/connections.
                            See THIS is why I come to forums. Things have clearly moved a long way since I last was considering my options.

Comment

Originally posted by mrantarctica View Post

The TD-10 will not be compatible with the VH-13 as far as I know. Roland seem to indicate that the best you can get Hi-Hat wise on the TD-10 is the VH-11 (which is actually a very good hi-hat, and I got a lot of use out of my one!) But perhaps double check if anyone has used the VH-13 with the TD-10 first. The CY-18 is a digital ride and ONLY works with a TD-50 which is a major downside to the cymbal.

In terms of plug and play, I think your big decision is whether you want to get the VST sounds that the Mimic Pro offers, or go for the Roland TD30/50 Sound style. In terms of stock sounds, I don't think there's any comparison. The Mimic sounds a lot more realistic and is plug and play. However, the VEX kits for Roland TD30/50 are pretty good (although not as good as the Mimic Pro in my opinion). For me, the only reason to go with a TD-50 is if you are stuck to the Digital Snare and Digital Ride. I haven't tried either but the reviews I have seen suggest that there isn't a massive difference between these kit pieces and what is already out there. It's certainly not worth the massive price hike. A TD-30 is a perfectly good alternative, and also gives you the option of utilising VST's through the USB connection on the TD-30. However, if you are hell bent on getting the CY-18DR or any other digital pieces then you are stuck to the TD-50.

From your limited down time and desire for plug and play, I would assume that you probably don't want to go the DIY route in terms of individual drums. If your budget will stretch that far, I'd have a look at the ATV EXS5 kit. They are very good plug and play kits which are a decent size but not too large or bulky. If you look on the Drumtec website, you can get them without a module, and so you can just pick whichever Module you want. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to put something together for you where you can get an ATV EXS5, Mimic Pro module, and customise with a VH-13 hat (instead of the ATV Hat) which I think would probably set you back about $5k plus shipping but would basically be a really top quality set which would easily be just as good as a TD30K (and perhaps the lower end TD-50) and offer much better sounds on account of the Mimic Pro module. .

If I could convert my acoustic set (a hybrid Sonor designer/SQ2) into a viable electronic set with socially acceptable volume levels and record-ability to boot, well this would be the dream! I'd MAKE the time for this!!

Comment

Working...
                              X