Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Remo Falam Slam patch and accoustic noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remo Falam Slam patch and accoustic noise

Hello,
    I have a Roland KD-85 kick and until now I was using the plastic beater. Hitting the drum kind of felt like hitting the wall with my beater so after reading a few tips on this forum about improving the rebound with a Remo Falam Slam (and using the felt beater), I went for it. I'm not sure if it's placebo but the feeling definitely improved. However, holy cow the accoustic noise is quite a lot now. I'm not sure if it's going to be an issue with my neighbours but I feel like I might be pushing it a bit. Is there anything I can do to keep this rebound but reduce the noise? Maybe there's something I can cover the patch with? I was considering giving ball beaters a shot but I wonder if the rebound might then be unrealistically low, like I'm hitting a pillow or something.

Did you get the clear/yellow one? The white one isn't as loud. They're designed to emphasize attack. Thus, they will be louder than no patch at all. I usually recommend the white version first.

You're only option is to get a felt beater now.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes I have the white one but it sounds pretty loud to me. I'm using the felt beater of my demonator pedals already. Actually I think the plastic and felt side sound about the same in volume when hitting the patch.
      Last edited by Excessium; 08-02-19, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Excessium,

I tried the white Falam Slam patch, too. Tried it on my KD-9 and KD-140. Fortunately, in both cases, I did not remove the covering over the adhesive and instead used tape to hold the patch in place for testing. The patch made both pads louder, adding more acoustic attack to the sound. Consequently, I decided not to use these patches. Instead, on my KD-9, I put several layers of felt under the head. This made the pad considerably quieter and better feeling - the pad has a more squishy give (now) that is much more like an acoustic bass drum. The KD-9 is not a mesh pad, though, and does not have a trigger cone that must remain in contact with the head. On your KD-85, you could try felt layers underneath the head, over top of the foam cushion, but you'll need to ensure the head doesn't lift away from the trigger cone. Another option is to put felt layers on top of the head.

If you decide not to use a Falam Slam, these patches are notoriously difficult to remove once you've stuck them down; the adhesive is very strong. On an acoustic mylar drum head, removal leaves a nasty, sticky, adhesive residue that must be dealt with. On a mesh head, I'd think removal would destroy the head. Does anyone here know how to remove a Falam Slam from a mesh head without damaging the head?
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-02-19, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I've used them on regular heads. I can definitely say from experience, they are not worth removing. I always used the head until it broke. I tried removing a Falam once. ONCE. (lol) That head ended up in the trash.

If it's on mesh, I'd leave it. You can bet that's permanent. (unless you can find something to take its place... like maybe leather?)

Best bet now is the felt beater... or a new head. I don't know of any felt patches anymore. I haven't seen those in decades.

Sounds stupid, but maybe try a tube sock over the beater head?
          Alan

Comment

Here ya go... buy this fast.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Drum...-/183546403939

s-l1600.jpg
            Attached Files
            Alan

Comment

Ah ha! I found it!

https://www.grotro.com/Trophy-Duplex...on-Accessories

Google "DC22 Bass Drum Protector Pad".

BTW, the Evans Black "woven" patches are thinner and softer. If you CAN get the Falam off, I'd try that one. I've used that one on mesh with very positive results. It's softer than it looks... but thin.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvProd...n_Single_Patch
              Alan

Comment

Alan VEX,

Alan VEX wrote:
                I've used them (ed: Falam Slam patches) on regular heads. I can definitely say from experience, they are not worth removing. I always used the head until it broke. I tried removing a Falam once. ONCE. (lol) That head ended up in the trash.
                Ditto. Same experience I had when I removed a Falam Slam from an acoustic drum head. Seems like it would be even worse with a mesh head.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                  lololol, i've done this before, but with my yamaha rubber kick tower. feels like you're playing with a turkey leg but it does cut the volume down some. and depending on how much you wrap around the beater, you have to account for how much larger and heavier the thing is with rolled up socks on it. and if you get too animated, it can fly off.

good times.

i suppose the easier thing to do in that case would be to affix some socks across the face of the drum head, by taping them to the sides or whatever. worth a shot. costs nothing.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I probably should have tested the patch before removing the back cover but oh well.

Best bet now is the felt beater... or a new head. I don't know of any felt patches anymore. I haven't seen those in decades.

Just to reiterate, I'm already using the felt beater part - but maybe it's not as soft as other felt beaters. It looks like this.
                    Wouldn't some ball beaters be better than socks on my beaters?

Do you reckon it would make sense if I put these (or the woven evans) over the falam slam or are we talking me getting a new mesh head + these?
                    Last edited by Excessium; 08-04-19, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Really hard to say at this point. If it were me, Id probably get a new head and the felt patch. If you use the felt patch, youll want to use the plastic beater. Again, really hard to say... mainly because all these choices are still going to make noise. I think the felt patch may make the least.
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X