Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

KD180 vs KD-140-BC for Apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD180 vs KD-140-BC for Apartment

Hey all - We are planning to move to an apartment soon and I am concerned the sound from beater hitting the KD180 will be too loud for my neighbors. Thinking the all mesh KD-140 would be quieter...has anyone used both and can verify if that is the case?

Thanks!

KT9 or KT10 would be quieter
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I hadn't heard of those - thanks for the recommendation! How is the feel of the KT10 vs say the KD140?

Comment

Tk123,

I own a KD-140. It is much too loud for apartment use. The KT-9 is the quietest option I've encountered, but the pedal is mushy and slow, and it will affect your playing negatively. The KT-10 is a better option that responds and feels more like a bass drum, but it is still quite loud acoustically. I'm not convinced any of the options negate the need for soundproofing. The key issue with foot pedals, like hi-hat and bass drum, is that they are indeed foot pedals! Even with a mesh head or dampened pedal, vibration is generated from foot movements, and this vibration travels through walls and floors. Were I moving into an apartment as you are, I'd plan on soundproofing the room and building a soundproof drum riser to put your kit on.

Soundproof drum riser means: one or more layers of acoustic insulation sandwiched between layers of plywood, with tennis balls or other insulation underneath the sandwich to separate the riser from the floor - the proverbial tennis ball riser.
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 07-31-19, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Tennis ball riser

Comment

i got yelled at enough to know it isn't tapping sounds but the impact noise. roland makes noise eaters, which are little absorbent risers you can place under your pedals to help mitigate it, but i'm not entirely convinced about those, though the logic is sound. as others suggest, you could make some kind of isolation for far less if you were so inclined.

Comment

Working...
            X