Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Latest batch of Mimic Pro has some issues...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest batch of Mimic Pro has some issues...

Bob Sabellico just posted this on facebook:
    "We have found an issue with some of the SSD drives in the latest batch of Mimic Pro modules. It causes audio dropouts and these units need to be replaced. The units in question have the white outline on the Master 1&2 outputs (Please see Photo).If you are the original owner and have your receipt, please contact Pearl support to arrange for a replacement.Please note this is an audio cutoff issue and not cross-talk from triggering. Cross talk is note cancelation and can be remedied with trigger settings."

I'm affected by this, I bought a module 2 weeks ago and it happens twice every half an hour or so, the sounds cut off abruptly, making a "wurp" sound, literally as if the SSD swallows the sound, so I will send it for repair and wait for God knows how long since I'm in Europe....

MOD EDIT: THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE A FOLLOW UP FROM BOB AT PEARL. SEE POST #10 FOR SUPPORT LINKS

A message from Pearl US. about SSD drive issue.

We need to clear this up so everyone understands the replacement policy.

If you bought a Mimic Pro in the US and live in the US, you can deal directly with Pearl in Nashville.

If you live outside the US and purchased a Mimic Pro from a US dealer, you need to work through your dealer.

I will check with Pearl Europe to find out how they will handle it and post tomorrow.

Once again here are the specifics: We have found an issue with some of the SSD drives in the latest batch of Mimic Pro modules. It causes audio dropouts and these units need to be replaced. The units in question have the white outline on the Master 1&2 outputs (Please see Photo).If you are the original owner and have your receipt, please contact Pearl support to arrange for a replacement. Please note, this is an audio cutoff issue and not cross-talk from triggering. Cross talk is note cancelation and can be remedied with trigger settings.

IMG_0582.jpg

As I suspected then!

Good on Pearl for being transparent and offering a solution. Interested to know how it goes walkinded since I'd also be a European customer.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Damn. Sounds just like the issue I described shortly after getting mine in June. I'll have to contact the drum shop and get a replacement ordered. Glad I kept my TD-20 as a backup!
      ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

Originally posted by ChromeBoy View Post
        Damn. Sounds just like the issue I described shortly after getting mine in June. I'll have to contact the drum shop and get a replacement ordered. Glad I kept my TD-20 as a backup!
        The solution is to contact Pearl to send your module and they will send you new one. People who did this exact way, the issue got resolved.
        Last edited by Chris K; 07-24-19, 01:23 PM.

Comment

They must have different employees providing different information. I just got off the phone with warranty/customer service at Pearl Nashville who told me its an RMA issue that must be handled thru a Pearl dealer.
          I was told that first, I am to provide Pearl Nashville with an electronic copy of proof-of-purchase, Pearl then approves an RMA which is sent to the dealer l purchased through. The dealer will be responsible for shipping/insuring the unit and paperwork to Pearl. Was also told that they will replace the Mimic only after receiving the bad one.
          ChromeBoy/JmanWord Drop-in Triggers, PD-125, A to EZ Cymbals, F.A.T. Pedals, TD-20+TDW-20, SPD-S

Comment

A message from Pearl US. about SSD drive issue.

We need to clear this up so everyone understands the replacement policy.

If you bought a Mimic Pro in the US and live in the US, you can contact Pearl support to arrange a replacement through your dealer.

If you live outside the US and purchased a Mimic Pro from a US dealer, you need to work through your dealer.

I will check with Pearl Europe to find out how they will handle it and post tomorrow.

Once again here are the specifics: We have found an issue with some of the SSD drives from the latest production run of Mimic Pro modules. This is isolated to the latest production run only, and can cause audio dropouts. The units in question have a white outline on the Master 1&2 outputs (please see photo). If you are experiencing this problem, please contact Pearl support to arrange a replacement through your dealer. Please note this is an audio cutoff issue not cross-talk from triggering. Cross-talk is note cancellation and can be remedied with trigger settings.
            Last edited by Velocity; 07-24-19, 07:51 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

All I know is what I was told. I live in the US. I made it clear when, where and how I got my Mimic, that it had been registered the day I received it, and that it has exhibited the error since the very first performance. The CSR was aware of the SSD issue. He put me on hold in order to confirm the exchange process. He returned to tell me exactly what I wrote previously regarding dealer returns and RMA.

Please understand, I have no issues with Pearl''s service department. To the contrary, the CSR was polite and apologetic. The call was fast; only 4 minutes, including the hold-time required to confirm the exchange process.

I suppose its possible some people are getting different instructions because this is so recent Pearl hasn't standardized their customer service response yet. And, to be fair, there's good reason for confusion. Dealing directly with Pearl seems to contradict their own warranty policy. Although the Mimic manual PDF has no language regarding warranty service that I could find, the corporate webpage lists a 1-year warranty on "MIMIC PRO ELECTRONIC DRUM MODULE" followed by this

"How To Obtain Warranty Service

Warranty service may be obtained by first notifying the Pearl dealer from which the product was originally purchased. Upon notification, the Pearl dealer must obtain Return Authorization from the Pearl Customer Service Department. This number must be written plainly on the outside of the package or the returned shipping carton will be refused. Returned merchandise must be accompanied by a copy of the original sales receipt. All freight to and from Pearl is to be paid by the customer."

Anyway... As long as the fix it fast and free, I don't really care if it happens directly or thru a dealer. I'm happy they've admitted a problem and are willing to make it right, even if it does put a small dent in my confidence in the product

Comment

Thanks folks for circulating this. I'm not on facebook and have been experiencing drop-out/cut off issues. I'm Europe based so looking forward to hearing what the solution will be here. As noted above thanks to Pearl for being upfront about this.

Comment

Well... second call, second explanation.

I just got off the phone with Pearl again. This time my call was answered by a different CSR. Sounds like he's the one dealing with the Mimic exchanges. He told me in this instance only, Pearl will allow users to exchange a product directly, or, use the traditional route of going thru a dealer. They are posting the info related to this particular incident to FB and the pearldrummersforum, however the warranty policy on the web (which I copied into an earlier post) is correct and it is how all other warranty claims are/will be covered.

For some reason this issue is different. He said even the service department hasn't been told exactly why the company has chosen to treat this issue with this product differently than all other Pearl products, but the are.

Anyway, they are going to take care of it. And bonus... they are paying the shipping which they've never done with any of my other Pearl warranty claims in the past. Awesome!

Comment

Guys & gals... let's not turn this topic into a "how my return is going" subject, as I fear it may start to grow out of control, veer off-topic, and possibly turn into a gripe-fest.

If you find this topic, and have the issue described with your Mimic (will generally exhibit quickly on modules with the white "master outs" box on the rear panel - if you have the issue), please simply contact Pearl support and do as they ask:

https://pearldrum.com/support/contact-us/ (phone number provided at the link)

*If you are outside the US, please visit the Pearl Home page to choose your proper location first: https://pearldrum.com/

Pearl and Slate are doing the right thing on this, and we should recognize their outstanding customer service.

Chrome, I'm not aiming this at you... your post just made me think about how this may go.
                    Alan
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

No problem Alan. I anticipated that too and its in part why I went out of my way to compliment the customer service efforts.
                      I don't own any Slate Digital products but know several people who do, including 2 who recently had issues with ML-2 microphones. Slate immediately acknowledged the production problems they were having and handled the exchanges very quickly, no questions asked. In my own experience, Pearl has always had very good customer service. There's absolutely no reason to expect any differently from either of them this time. Alan is right, customer service efforts like this should be applauded.

Comment

Official Supports 2 post on the same thread make sure to scroll down:

Official procedure to do:
                        https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...D-drive-issues

Europe:
                        http://www.pearleurope.com/contact

USA:
                        https://www.pearldrum.com/support/contact-us
                        Last edited by Chris K; 07-24-19, 05:02 PM.

Comment

No problem Alan. I anticipated that too and its in part why I went out of my way to compliment the customer service efforts.
                          I don't own any Slate Digital products but know several people who do, including 2 who recently had issues with ML-2 microphones. Slate immediately acknowledged the production problems they were having and handled the exchanges very quickly, no questions asked. In my own experience, Pearl has always had very good customer service. There's absolutely no reason to expect any differently from either of them this time. Alan is right, customer service efforts like this should be applauded.
                          Definitely. I use their plugin bundle, and CS is freaking amazing. They are a great company.
                          Alan
                          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Originally posted by walkinded View Post
                            Bob Sabellico just posted this on facebook:
                            "We have found an issue with some of the SSD drives in the latest batch of Mimic Pro modules. It causes audio dropouts and these units need to be replaced. The units in question have the white outline on the Master 1&2 outputs (Please see Photo).If you are the original owner and have your receipt, please contact Pearl support to arrange for a replacement.Please note this is an audio cutoff issue and not cross-talk from triggering. Cross talk is note cancelation and can be remedied with trigger settings."

I'm affected by this, I bought a module 2 weeks ago and it happens twice every half an hour or so, the sounds cut off abruptly, making a "wurp" sound, literally as if the SSD swallows the sound, so I will send it for repair and wait for God knows how long since I'm in Europe....

MOD EDIT: THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE A FOLLOW UP FROM BOB AT PEARL. SEE POST #10 FOR SUPPORT LINKS

IMG_0582.jpg
                            Please note the update for returns.
                            Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

They must have different employees providing different information. I just got off the phone with warranty/customer service at Pearl Nashville who told me its an RMA issue that must be handled thru a Pearl dealer.
                              I was told that first, I am to provide Pearl Nashville with an electronic copy of proof-of-purchase, Pearl then approves an RMA which is sent to the dealer l purchased through. The dealer will be responsible for shipping/insuring the unit and paperwork to Pearl. Was also told that they will replace the Mimic only after receiving the bad one.
                              Sorry for the confusion but we had to adjust the procedure.

Comment

Working...
                              X