Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TM-6 for additional inputs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM-6 for additional inputs?

Iím considering picking up a TM-6 purely to add additional inputs to my TD-30 module. Which I only use to trigger SD3... Anyone have any experience using a TM-6 to add midi inputs to their module? Even better - anyone out there using a setup like this to trigger SD3 or another VST library? Thoughts? General experience with performance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Just as an update - I pulled the trigger on this and have the TM-6 pushing midi through my TD-30 to SD3. I replaced splitter cables that were being used to hang my splash and fx cymbals (had issues with responsiveness and consistent triggering) and am adding a couple of PD-8ís for voice and percussion samples.... all in it was a little more expensive than I originally hoped to spend, but performance is excellent and I was able to save some cash by ordering from an EU-based vendor (which allowed me to take advantage of current exchange rates). Well worth it if youíre considering something similar.
    Last edited by rdubu; 07-20-19, 01:48 PM.
    Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Isn't the TM-6 like $900? Seems expensive for what you're using it for
      Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

I picked it up for $610 shipped to my door... Normally itís $800 or more. So yes, it could have been more expensive, but I managed to get a pretty good deal on a new unit. Even at $610 though, I wouldnít say it was a cheap solution. That said....

For me, I needed a module / input that allowed me to plug in 1/4Ē TRS inputs without a cable snake, had midi out, and worked without any issues when coupled to my TD-30. Believe it or not, thereís a VERY short list of options out there. And an even shorter list for solutions in the $600 USD range.

Effectively I now have a TD-30 that hangs 10 aux inputs - all fully dual zone supported. Roland doesnít make the TMC anymore, so this was the closest thing that from them that fit the bill.

Anyway, Iím sure that there are other options that I didnít think of or other options from different vendor modules, but I wanted to stay in the Roland product line and wanted to be sure that if I decided to upgrade my TD-30 at some point that I would still have an end-to-end solution that just worked and played well together. Iím hesitant to pick up a TD-50 any time soon, but IF I get a compelling deal or an itch that simply wonít stop, it could find its way into my rig. For now, Iím pretty smitten with the way everything is working.

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
          Iím hesitant to pick up a TD-50 any time soon.
          Just to warn you there is no more midi pad to extend triggers on td50, you are limited to existent triggers slots, on td30 using percussion mode you can extend your amount of triggers easly on midi outside triggers slots from the back of td30 and since you are using vst, you won't get much improvement. Your tm6 will go to eBay and loosing triggers input.
          Last edited by Chris K; 07-21-19, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Valid point. But Iím also not using percussion mode... Because Iím triggering a VST - in this case SD3 - Iím actually just using both on channel 12 (default) and have adjusted the midi notes being sent by the TM-6 thru the TD-30 to correspond with mapped instrument articulations in Superior Drummer. Itís actually a VERY simple and elegant implementation, BUT it absolutely wouldnít work if I wanted to trigger internal samples from the TD-30 or TD-50. In that case, yes, you absolutely have to configure the TM-6 to push midi via channel 11 and set up the TD-30 / TD-50 to accept percussion midi notes being sent by the slave module - which on a TD-50 isnít supported. VST is a different animal though so I get a pass on how Iím running things
            Last edited by rdubu; 07-21-19, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
              Valid point. But Iím also not using percussion mode... Because Iím triggering a VST - in this case SD3 - Iím actually just using both on channel 12 (default) and have adjusted the midi notes being sent by the TM-6 thru the TD-30 to correspond with mapped instrument articulations in Superior Drummer. Itís actually a VERY simple and elegant implementation, BUT it absolutely wouldnít work if I wanted to trigger internal samples from the TD-30 or TD-50. In that case, yes, you absolutely have to configure the TM-6 to push midi via channel 11 and set up the TD-30 / TD-50 to accept percussion midi notes being sent by the slave module - which on a TD-50 isnít supported. VST is a different animal though so I get a pass on how Iím running things
              This is extremely valuable information- thanks for sharing
              Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Working...
              X