Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Need Kick Pedal recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Kick Pedal recommendations

    I have an ATV kick, and have tried a few pedals. All of them give me a bounce, and unwanted double-hit. I've tried my Trick, my Premier 251, my Speed King. None of them do this on acoustic kits. I've tried tightening and loosening the head and nothing seems to work. A variety of non-felt beaters have been tried as well. I play heel down, which may or may not be a factor. Any ideas on a pedal I could try, that I could maybe tinker with to eliminate this? None of the pedals I have now are very adjustable. A guy at the music store suggested one of those flat circular beaters, but didn't have any I could try. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

  • #2
    Sounds like you have some good equipment there (and the Trick has a flat circular beater)... So, I'd double check your technique as well, which in the long run may save you some money.
    Are you coming off the head after a stroke? Do you have a tendency to "bury" (as they say) the beater or just leave it forward after a stroke?
    Take a video of your playing on a-Bass and e-Bass for an objective evaluation.
    Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
    Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks very much for the reply. My Trick may came with a round metal beater, which I dare not use on mesh heads. All of my playable acoustic kits are in storage, so I can't really do an objective video. I leave the beater forward after a stroke. Think I'll head over to Guitar Center and try out some pedals and beaters on a mesh head. I usually buy online, but I think I need some 'feets' on experience for this. Thanks again.
      No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

      Comment


      • #4
        some idea's..
        -either buy a drum-tec 'sound absorbing beater' ..or double sided tape some thin foam disc onto your trick beater..
        -cut up some bed sheet into 20" strips, fold them and put them under your mesh head diagonally (like the old felt ribbon)
        -your module settings.. should be optimal to not register 'bouncing' or too soft hits.. (up mask time, and retrigger cancel on roland)
        Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Eric. I would've been glad to try all of that, but I found a pedal at GC that eliminates the problem. I'ts a TAMA Speed Cobra. No bouncing or double-hits at all. It's got an oddly-shaped plastic/rubber beater, which works just perfectly with the kit. I would've never thought of a TAMA, so it was a good thing I went to the store. Thanks again for the kind replies.
          No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Relayer View Post
            Thanks Eric. I would've been glad to try all of that, but I found a pedal at GC that eliminates the problem. I'ts a TAMA Speed Cobra. No bouncing or double-hits at all. It's got an oddly-shaped plastic/rubber beater, which works just perfectly with the kit. I would've never thought of a TAMA, so it was a good thing I went to the store. Thanks again for the kind replies.
            Which speed cobra did you get? I'm also a heel down player and have really big feet (14) so I've been considering a longboard for a while. I'm tempted by the cheaper model just to try it out.
            ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by molson View Post

              Which speed cobra did you get? I'm also a heel down player and have really big feet (14) so I've been considering a longboard for a while. I'm tempted by the cheaper model just to try it out.
              The model is the HP910LN, and it's just called the TAMA Speed Cobra single pedal. I've been using it for a couple of hours, and it's very well-suited for use with the ATV kick. It was like $240.. Good luck.
              No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

              Comment


              • #8
                I too may be looking for a new/different kick drum pedal. I currently have a Tama Iron Cobra 200 which seems to be OKAY but from what Iíve read here and elsewhere, it probably leaves something to be desired. So what makes a Tama HP910LN Speed Pedal (or similar) much preferable to a lower end model? Is this or similar pedals 3+ times better ($70 vs. $230)? Donít mean to be confrontational here - just asking?

                https://www.amazon.com/TAMA-HP200P-C...85157940&psc=1
                vs.
                https://www.amazon.com/Tama-HP910LN-...88196300&psc=1

                Comment


                • #9
                  The lower end speed cobra (310) is pretty much the same but has a different beater and fewer adjustments. That seems to be similar across brands. I have a DW9000 that is crazy adjustable but I still miss my ancient DW5000n that cost about $30 used. I sometimes think simpler is better.
                  ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                    I too may be looking for a new/different kick drum pedal. I currently have a Tama Iron Cobra 200 which seems to be OKAY but from what Iíve read here and elsewhere, it probably leaves something to be desired. So what makes a Tama HP910LN Speed Pedal (or similar) much preferable to a lower end model? Is this or similar pedals 3+ times better ($70 vs. $230)? Donít mean to be confrontational here - just asking?

                    https://www.amazon.com/TAMA-HP200P-C...85157940&psc=1
                    vs.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Tama-HP910LN-...88196300&psc=1
                    I tried about 6 different pedals and beaters, and that model was the only one they had. It felt much faster and smoother than the other pedals I tried, and most importantly, I got no rebound, which was the problem with all of my other beaters/pedals. The cheaper one may be just as good, I can only speak of the one I tried, liked and bought. Thanks for the reply.
                    Last edited by Relayer; 06-22-19, 11:13 PM.
                    No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by molson View Post
                      The lower end speed cobra (310) is pretty much the same but has a different beater and fewer adjustments. That seems to be similar across brands. I have a DW9000 that is crazy adjustable but I still miss my ancient DW5000n that cost about $30 used. I sometimes think simpler is better.
                      I bought that one for the feel, which struck a chord with me immediately. I'm only vouching for the one I got. Thanks for the input and info.

                      No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ive had a iron cobra power glide for 20 years and just bought a new improved iron cobra power glide 900 series double pedal and love it.fast and smooth!
                        glad you found a kick pedal that works well for you
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          speed cobra 910 is a great pedal, no doubt.. longboard feel and size.. good bearings for that price .. some brands do use cheaper
                          bearings in their lower end models.. ..so, speed cobra 310 is not the same pedal .. (it looks the same..)
                          DW 5000 single chain had good bearings from the start (and they invented the double pedal..)
                          Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-23-19, 08:10 AM.
                          Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Relayer View Post

                            I bought that one for the feel, which struck a chord with me immediately.
                            This is the most important line here.
                            ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                            ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                            PA Comparison Sheet

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Relayer View Post

                              I bought that one for the feel, which struck a chord with me immediately. I'm only vouching for the one I got. Thanks for the input and info.
                              Glad it works well for you - pedals are such a personal thing. I'm intrigued by the beater and may have to try it on my DW. I also have the ATV kit and occasionally suffer from beater bounce.
                              ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X