Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Yamaha DTX Multi 12 and Superior Drummer 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha DTX Multi 12 and Superior Drummer 3

Hi all. I'm looking at buying a DTX12. My primary use with it would be to trigger SD3, though over time I'd be looking to explore the other possibilities of the instrument. I have a few questions for the wise.

1. The DTX12 works fine with SD3 - right?

2. There is no preset in SD3 for the DTX12. Can anyone advise what preset (if any) they are using? Or is it a matter of using 'default' and going it alone?

3. I will add a kick (most likely KT-10) and a hi-hat pedal. Are there any hi-hat pedals to avoid / prefer in terms of triggering SD3 with the DTX 12? (I am aware Roland hi-hat pedals and Yamaha gear don't play with each other.)

4. And a final question - has anyone heard any whispers / statements from Yamaha about a new multipad (perhaps at NAMM)? The DTX 12 looks like a great piece of gear but it is 10 years old now and I wonder if they're bringing out a new model soon.

I have searched the interweb, read everything I could find on the v-drums forum, and am aware of the Roland and Alesis competitors to the DTX12. But happy to be directed to something I've missed that addresses these questions.

Thanks
    Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

1. Yup
    2. Start with default and program. Out of the box it'll be an industry standard GM (General MIDI) set.
    3. Get an HH65.
    4. No rumours - but it doesn't really need a new version. You could argue for "more sample memory" - not applicable in your case - but simply hang a TM2 or SP404 off it, it you really want.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

thanks electro. much appreciated
      Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

recent-ish word from Yamaha on updating (or not yet updating - work out your own interpretation) the DTX12 multi ...

https://yamahadtx.com/forum/new-dtx4...ble#reply-1423

Comment

That Jordan bloke has completely disappeared a few months ago now.... (he never seemed to know anything anyway, and was completely incapable of even deleting spam from the forum....)
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

thanks for the heads up - grain of salt duly taken. my dtx12 has been ordered regardless

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
              thanks for the heads up - grain of salt duly taken. my dtx12 has been ordered regardless
              A fine beast

Comment

reporting back.

after much research i got the dtx multi 12. took some time working out the menus etc (a few days and a few youtube videos) but despite some early pain it’s a very good module. i use it only to trigger SD3. i will probably play around with the native sounds at some point, but playing it is fun - programming it is not so don’t know when i will get to that ...

the softness of the pads could be an issue for some - i use an external snare because the pads on the module don’t pick up ghost notes. you can play with the sensitivity but the options are restrictive and an external snare is a better solution for me. started with a roland PD-105 which is ok if you already have one, and ended up with a yamaha tp-100 which gives 3 zones. the module pads are good enough for tom, cymbal, percussion voices for me - only an issue for ghost notes

using the roland kt-10 which works great - this pedal is fantastic

started with the roland fd-9 and the stereo-mono cable hack (search it on these forums). that works ok, but just ok. have replaced that with the hh-65 which works better with the module, but is a clearly inferior pedal in build and feel to the fd-9. but there are not many options for hh controllers.

to hold the module, i use a snare basket with a ball and socket joint on a cymbal stand for extra height, and the snare hangs off that using a percussion mount

all up i’m very happy with the set up

Comment

IMO, the dtx 12 could use 2 things to greatly improve it's appeal and use:

1) An "Idiot's Guide" type manual with cross references to the actual Yamaha manual. (I was going to do one when I owned a dtx12, but, sadly, never really had the time to do it.)

2) A rubber retrofit of the same Textured Silicon used on the XP pads, but BLACK in color, since hand and finger use would dirty the white pad too easily.
                  Last edited by Vectron; 10-07-19, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X