Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Alesis Strike Multipad or Roland SPD-SX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis Strike Multipad or Roland SPD-SX

Now that the Alesis Strike Multipad has been out for a little while, any drummers here that may have played both? Any compare and contrast you could share? I guess the SPD-SX is "old" now compared to the new Alesis, but still both units are sold for the same price.

I will like to add one to my kit, especially since I know miss the percussion sounds present on the TD-30 but missing on the TD-50. I also really like the looping capabilities of the Strike Multipad and the programmable lights. Though I think at times if I should "keep it in the same family" and get the Roland.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated

loading kit from Alesis much slower compare to SPD-SX

Comment

Loading time on strike, is about 4-5 sec per kit, if you are using full 38 sample per kits, layers a + b etc.. Strike on kit switch, the sound stop if loop used, but others then that, it has more feature and sound in strike compare to spd-sx, also it's 2 shots sample velocity with velocity point curve setting, not 1 like spd-sx, there is hihat supports ( not in spd-sx), 4 triggers input,, the sound library 6GB in strike, it's full compare to spd-sx, is very limited, about 400 sound and are not usable for most of them. Also the edge triggering on SPD-SX, is harder compare to strike are smoother to trigs. There is great feature like random, cycle pad on strike, melodic notes on each pad hit.

Out of the box, I would get Strike for your need, spd-sx is great for live purpose, fast loading time and no sound stop on kit switch.
      Last edited by Chris K; 06-06-19, 04:55 PM.

Comment

yeah, loading time compare to TM-2 even slower and kit switch kill the deal, i switch kit on my TM-2 [MIDI to spd-30] all the time ... still looking a way to MIDI two TM-2 to spd-30 and use all 8 pads layinger with spd-30

Comment

The Yamaha DTX multi 12 is also worth considering if you're not already aware of it.
          E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

I would say Roland took a different path 10 years ago when they designed the SPD-SX. They built SPD-SX pretty much strictly as a sampling pad for playing loops and such, not meant for drummers as a hybrid drum addition and so they also offer the Octapad SPD-30 which is not a sample pad but is far more adept as a percussion instrument. Therefore if you need both you have to buy both.
            Alesis seems well on their way to offering the best of both in one device the Alesis Strike Multipad.
            All of these devices are geared toward live performance. If you simply want a midi controller to connect to a computer to work with a DAW there are probably better and cheaper solutions.

Comment

Roland SPD SX is excellent pad but need lots of improvements , Like categorising of Waves and loops, Mainly pitch change function.

There is FX of Pitch change (pitch shift)
              But if we apply that in 2 or more blocks then sound latency problem is there.
              Sound comes late.
              Another point is as its sampling pad its mostly used for loops, Function of Loops Phrasing should be given like how we use Guitar looper.
              one click for recording loop and another for stopping and as we stop recording it automatically starts playing in loop. just like guitar looper.

ALESIS Strike Multipad
              Its also great pad but Major problem is we CANNOT CHANGE BPM of loops or sync loops of different tempos to common BPM which is there in SPD SX.
              Also it dont have software to make kits.

Yamaha DTX M12.
              Only plus point is 12 blocks and 4 layers. otherwise it have plenty of problems but it best for Drummers compared to other pad because of 4 layers and 12 blocks
              i Use this instrument since 2011 so i know each and every thing of this instruments. By bellow points you can make you product more user friendly.
              as i guarantee sales of this product will go up.

Below are problems of DTX M12

1) Volume Knob creates problem within 6 months.
              Volume Increases or Decreases while playing pad due to vibration.

2) Sound Cut off when we change the patch.
              For Eg if we play a Cymbal or Chimes and Change the patch, Sound Cut offs.

3) While working on Bank changes automatically when striking pad.
              If we want to assign a tone in bank 'C' so when we strike a that pad it automatically
              displays bank 'A' then we again have to go to menu and change to bank C.

4) Selecting Banks is also a problem, We have to go to midi and the On the banks function and then again we have to go to voice menu and assign banks.
              ( it should be like SPD 20 of roland, there is dedicated key for selecting banks)

5) Display is very small.

6) Changing patch is also a problem.
              if i am on patch number 5 and i want to go to patch 13 then either i have press + 8 times or i have to +&- together but then in this case it jumps 10 patches so it will go to 15 so again we have to do -2.
              (In roland insted of jupming to 10 patches it changes patches faster which is more easy)

7) + & - buttons and other buttons also creates problem and needs repair regularly.

8) Internal memory is also low. its only 64 MB where as in Roland SPD SX its giant 2GB memory. So it needs to be increased.

9) there are regular updates and new models coming in DTX series but no update in firmware, sound and new model coming out.

10) The internal Pad Sensors are also weak if sometime little bit of pressure comes on pad, it stops working so we have to get it changed which is very costly. So times while traveling a bag is placed besides a little bit of pressure comes then pad stops working.

11) The Body screws also becomes loose many times we need to tighten up many times.

12) another problem is that in design after 6th pad there is a step like thing.
              So while playing many times that step comes in between and our stick falls from our hand

13) and most important thing that in this percussion pad section Roland SPD 20 is considered as legendary, milestone and flagship model. people have used and and are using it since more that 20 years.
              The shape of that it have 4 pad on upper side and 4 pad on lower side. so the people are used to play on that design and many of prefer that design so they are ready to pay any amount for that pad.
              so i suggest to make design simlar to that. yes you give 12 pad so you can do is
              4 pads on upper part, 4 pad on lower part and 4 roll on bottom parts.

14) Editor App is only made for iOS and not for Android, windows mobile and for PC.

15) What is the need of GM sound in Percussion Pad? Insted you should have given other sound of Yamaha Keyboards Standard, Power etc etc Kits

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by thakerbhargav View Post
                Roland SPD SX is excellent pad but need lots of improvements , Like categorising of Waves and loops, Mainly pitch change function.

ALESIS Strike Multipad
                Its also great pad but Major problem is we CANNOT CHANGE BPM of loops or sync loops of different tempos to common BPM which is there in SPD SX.
                Also it dont have software to make kits.

-Internal memory is also low. its only 64 MB where as in Roland SPD SX its giant 2GB memory. So it needs to be increased.

Regards
                Alesis have this problem sound stop when changing user kit, all sound to off and there is loading time 4-5sec, only Roland is continuous sound on kit change.

SPD-SX was 4GB latest production, now 16GB special edition.
                Last edited by Chris K; 09-12-19, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Yamaha DTX M12.
                  Only plus point is 12 blocks and 4 layers. otherwise it have plenty of problems but it best for Drummers compared to other pad because of 4 layers and 12 blocks
                  i Use this instrument since 2011 so i know each and every thing of this instruments. By bellow points you can make you product more user friendly.
                  as i guarantee sales of this product will go up.

Below are problems of DTX M12

1) Volume Knob creates problem within 6 months.
                  Volume Increases or Decreases while playing pad due to vibration.

7) + & - buttons and other buttons also creates problem and needs repair regularly.

10) The internal Pad Sensors are also weak if sometime little bit of pressure comes on pad, it stops working so we have to get it changed which is very costly. So times while traveling a bag is placed besides a little bit of pressure comes then pad stops working.
                  I'm surprised to hear about these three problems with the DTX M12. I did a lot of reading and watching of reviews before I bought mine and never heard of problems like these. I've only had mine a few months and haven't had it on the road.
                  E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

I talked about this in the other thread. The Strike's pretty strong but like all gear, if there's one attribute you hate, then it's a deal breaker. As noted above, each kit takes about 4-5 seconds to load no matter size.

We'll have an extensive review of the Strike in an upcoming dD Mag. I had it for 4 months. It's now enroute to Allan. We've both played on the SPD-SX and Multi12 (hell, I've played/reviewed just about every multipad that's come out in the last 10 years).
                    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X