Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD 15KV v TD 17KV v Alesis Nitro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD 15KV v TD 17KV v Alesis Nitro

I have found a used TD 15KV for around AUD$1750 (note I'm in Australia, land of expensive). Then I found a new TD 17KV for AUD$1760.

This made me think the used kit was overpriced. However the seller of the used kit contacted Roland and was told the TD 15KV would sit between the TD 17KVX and the TD 25KS. Does this sound correct? He said he paid about AUD$2600 for it a while back.

Then to throw a red herring in I saw the Alesis Nitro for only $599, $699 at most stores though. A huge price difference to the Roland kits.

I'm a guitarist who always wanted to drum. I can do a bit. I know tone and I know what sounds crap. I listened to some clips of the Alesis mesh kits and they sounded very unnatural to my ear. A roll on the snare sounded very mechanical. A demo of a TD 17KV sounded way better. However it's almost 3 times the price. A person in a shop also told me the Alesis mesh pads have a better feel than the Roland pads.

It's all very confusing. My primary question is about the used TD 15KV versus the new TD 17KV. Can't work that one out

From what others have said on here the td17 is going to sound better than the 15 and seems to be the go to kit. I think the td15 is overpriced but Iím in the U.K. and maybe we have more choice. Iím sure someone else on here who has tried both will give you a more informed view.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

TD17KV all the way.

TD15 is the previous Generation, but a little higher Level...as Always with electronics, 6 years or so later the products are better.

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Not even a question here given the price points of your options. Hit that TD17 for sure.

Now, the caveat would be that if youíre not certain youíre going to stick with drumming, the Nitro would probably be fine. But if you do stay at it, youíll probably find yourself upgrading sooner than later. Itís also true that edrumming is far more satisfying with better gear, which is another point in favor of Rolandóand, in my view, of the TD17.
        Meet The Stewards!
        https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
        https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
        https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

Thanks all .

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
          TD17KV all the way.
          TD15 is the previous Generation, but a little higher Level..
          This is what confuses me, if the TD 15KV is the previous generation to the TD 17 KV, what does it have that makes it a little higher level than the TD 17KV?

Comment

Originally posted by enuenu View Post
            Thanks all .

This is what confuses me, if the TD 15KV is the previous generation to the TD 17 KV, what does it have that makes it a little higher level than the TD 17KV?
            You should definitely look into the specs for both. I guess I didn't think carefully enough about pads/cymbals in my earlier post, because as I check out the specs, I do see that the cymbals on the 15KV are nicer than on the 17KV - you get the VH-11 hi-hat instead of the CY-5, and you get a CY-12 and CY-13R instead of two CY-8s. The toms are a bit nicer (i.e., larger) as well. However, the snare with the 17KV is larger, at 12" compared to 10" for the 15.

So, like I say, hit Roland's site, check the specs for both (ensuring that you're looking at the KV for both), and decide what's most important to you. Now that I've compared pads and cymbals, I might be inclined to go with the 15KV over the 17KV. I've played both modules, and I'm not certain the 17 is substantially better, so I think the pads and cymbals might win out here for me.
            Meet The Stewards!
            https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
            https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

The TD-15 is the previous generation's mid-level module. The TD-17 is this generation's lower-level module, but Roland have stepped it up a bit this generation and let more of the better features of the flagship trickle down quicker than usual. Many people would say that the 17 outperforms the 15 and even the 25 in some respects, which is also older and has some odd limitations.

I had a 15 and I can't think of many benefits over the 17, except maybe for separate headphone volume adjustments and maybe some of the sounds, if you happen to prefer them. But the 17 has more tweaking options and one-shot sample imports/internal sound layering. So it wins out, imo.

edit - Of course, this is just the module. TheStewards makes some very valid points about the hardware/pads.
              Last edited by Pulsc; 05-31-19, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the detailed input. So it seems the used TD 15KV is a solid choice. However I just want to make sure I donít pay too much for it. At the moment Iím guessing I could maybe get the used TD 15KV for around AUD$1500, whereas the new TD 17KV will cost AUD$1760.

Just got to weigh up if there is reasonable case that the seller of the used TD 15KV is asking way too much and if so, what would be a reasonable price for his used kit considering a brand new TD 17KV is AUD$1760

Comment

I just had a look on eBay uk. Only one td15 but it was at a similar price to a td17kv so I guess this equates the same in Australia. Iíd still try and knock the price down if going for the td15.
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

i havenít looked at the 2nd hand prices of the td15 but 2nd hand roland kits tend to be very consistently priced in oz, so if u can check gumtree and ebay and find another 2 or 3 kits about the same price then itís very unlikely to be overpriced for this market. this also means that if you miss this td15, you should be able to pick up another about the same price without too much trouble.

i would pay the extra for roland over alesis every time but thatís just me. you get reliability with the roland which is part of the reason theyíre so expensive 2nd hand
                    TD9 v1 > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // TD9 v1 > Scarlett 6i6 > imac running SD3 and Logic // Zendrum > Stompblock > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // ATH-M30x headphones / Yamaha DBR10 // small acoustic kits with Zildjian Ks, plus a few As and Sabians

Comment

Working...
                    X